636 Fork Breakage

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: 636 Fork Breakage

Originally Posted by gsxr"d
She's trickling a bit after a few wheelies but when I just compress the forks It doesn't leak as bad Whats the worst that could happen, the bike just pulls to the right side when riding or landing a wheelie or when there's no fluid left in the fork I just kiss my *** goodbye Anyways $180 bucks gone for 2 new seals installed. MEH!
the worst thing that could happen is when you have oil on your rotors your braking is very unpredictable it will grab good some times and then not grab good some times so you may apply alot of pressure to get the bike stopped then all of the sudden your front tire locks up and you wash out or flip..

as far as damage to the forks goes there are bushings in your forks that keep the tubes from rocking back and forth and with no oil on those bushing they will wear out

Originally Posted by figs
where exactly do the 04 forks break ? i've a pair stripped down on the bench and the 41 mm lower inner tube has only a .070 " thick wall .it looks weak , is this where they usually go ?
exactly the thin wall design allows it to flex under extreme braking conditions [stoppies]so it eventually breaks right where it threads into the lower leg
Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Spammer

old duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by figs
where exactly do the 04 forks break ? i've a pair stripped down on the bench and the 41 mm lower inner tube has only a .070 " thick wall .it looks weak , is this where they usually go ?
2005 is 2 millimeters = 0.079 inches

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 PM
a k a jeremiah damn it

Jnutz1 is a decent person

well im THAT guy in the SQUID stoppie pic .... and for the haters me and bubash were rollin 450 ft the week before that happened. . . my forks started to leak took them to a shop ...1/4 mile later that **** snapped and i wasnt doin a stoppie (yet) so as far as funny **** those haters i didnt do anything to have the **** happen. . . some numb nuts who just graduated m.m.i grinded the set scew out of the bottom threw the forks back toghether and let me have it . . .(thats what the owner of the shops statement says !!) but **** it live and learn
Old 05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Yes you'd expect certain parts to wear.. But not FORKS!

are we still on this ****? jesus...get off it already.

and what utopia are you living in towlieee?? forks are an extremely high wear item. you have metal on metal contact back and forth tons and tons of times. why do you think they heat up so fast and to hundreds of degrees? ever checked the fluid temp on a fork or shock after use? upwards of 300 degrees.

the teflon bushing rubs on the chromed fork tubes.....and with the stress back and forth on that metal, ya, it's going to wear out.

they have weak spot on them, it happens. they snap at hte bases after they loosen up at the bottom. you keep them tight at the bottom and they don't move. don't mistake the movement of the inner tubes in the outter tubes as the bottoms moving. there WILL BE play between the inner and outter tubes, there has to be otherwise the forks would be machined together and the tubes wouldn't slide. as that bushing wears you get more slop. you have to hold the inner tubes still to check the fork bottoms for loosening.

and, about the 04 and the 05-06's being just as weak...those forks are completely different. you might sitll break 05's and newer, but not for the same reason. they are showa's on the newer ones verses kayaba on the older ones. their design is completely different.

any part on a bike can break. take up quilting if you dont like danger.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jnutz1
well im THAT guy in the SQUID stoppie pic .... and for the haters me and bubash were rollin 450 ft the week before that happened. . . my forks started to leak took them to a shop ...1/4 mile later that **** snapped and i wasnt doin a stoppie (yet) so as far as funny **** those haters i didnt do anything to have the **** happen. . . some numb nuts who just graduated m.m.i grinded the set scew out of the bottom threw the forks back toghether and let me have it . . .(thats what the owner of the shops statement says !!) but **** it live and learn
I don't think anyone is hating, or calling you a squid for your forks breaking.

They are clowning on you because you do endo's without a helmet.

Originally Posted by binder929rr
are we still on this ****? jesus...get off it already.

and what utopia are you living in towlieee?? forks are an extremely high wear item. you have metal on metal contact back and forth tons and tons of times. why do you think they heat up so fast and to hundreds of degrees? ever checked the fluid temp on a fork or shock after use? upwards of 300 degrees.
edit I'm sorry I worded it wrong.

Of course forks wear, thats 100% obvious

But you shouldn't expect them to snap. Especially newer forks on a newer bike.

Of course they wear, I know this

I was simply stating, you shouldn't expect forks to SNAP on you under normal conditions.

I don't know what utopia you live in, where forks snapping is perfectly all right.

I live in honda world, and I've never heard of a snapped fork. If someone has snapped one from an endo, please enlighten me.

Btw nearly 30k on my f4i forks, and my friend has over 60,000 on his FZR forks.. No play, and they haven't snapped!

Sounds like a build quality issue to me...

Last edited by Towlieee; 05-03-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Btw nearly 30k on my f4i forks, and my friend has over 60,000 on his FZR forks.. No play, and they haven't snapped!

Sounds like a build quality issue to me...
this is true, it is a build quality issue.

all my honda forks do have play in them though. it's a fact of life. They are all showa forks on the honda's i've owned so no problems.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by binder929rr
this is true, it is a build quality issue.

all my honda forks do have play in them though. it's a fact of life. They are all showa forks on the honda's i've owned so no problems.
ya my honda forks have a TON of play

they are fucked lol

But I don't think they are gonna snap on me :YEAH
Old 05-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Bubash is an unknown quantity at this point

my 06 636 front end started wobblin bad at xdl, everytime you touched the front brake you could see front fender moving away from the forks almost a half inch. And they never leaked from anywhere.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:33 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by Bubash
my 06 636 front end started wobblin bad at xdl, everytime you touched the front brake you could see front fender moving away from the forks almost a half inch. And they never leaked from anywhere.
fork bushings are probably wearing out. that happens when you put a lot of stress on those bushings.....and never would a stunter put stress on a front end would they?