1000rr Fork seals SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:48 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point
1000rr Fork seals SUCK

Well I've heard all the rumors about the 1000rr fork seals blowing real easy... but thought they weren't true cause I have 2 sets of these and haven't had any problems..... until yesterday.

Uh yea... they suck. I don't mousetrap very hard or very often and I do not strap my bike down tight at all. But yesterday, for no apparent reason... the right side seal decided to blow out and proceed to spray fluid ALL OVER MY BRAKE PADS AND ROTOR.

Which did a great job of killing my braking power and swiftly putting an end to stoppie practice for the rest of the week.

These were practically brand new forks as well... with not so much as a smudge or **** hair on the tubes.

Man I'm pissed... I love the forks w/ radial brakes and big rotors for stoppies, but if I'm gonna have to be taking my front end apart every other month for new seals I'm gonna be one unhappy, cranky *** old man bastard.

Well... at least I can put some heavier weight fluid in em now.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 1000rr Fork seals SUCK

ive seen the 600rr seals blow super easy, i thought the 1000rr were supposed to be better, i had one on my f4i and it held up great. then again i only weigh 150lbs.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:09 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

I told you lol
Old 04-13-2008, 03:13 PM
kj

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
ive seen the 600rr seals blow super easy, i thought the 1000rr were supposed to be better, i had one on my f4i and it held up great. then again i only weigh 150lbs.
I'm not a big dude either... only 180 soakin wet

Originally Posted by nags
I told you lol
yep... you did
Old 04-13-2008, 03:35 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

One of the guys down here has an F4i "stunt bike" and a mint CBR1000... He hasn't rode the RR in like 6 months so he took the front end off and put it on the F4i. He came out the other night for the first time on that setup. He rolled about 4 stoppies from about 12mph and as soon as he parked we saw the waterfall coming out of his forks lol
Old 04-13-2008, 03:48 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmm.... i hope the 600rr ones i got don't have the same problem.

i've rebuilt forks and changed fork seals a lot and i think the key to keeping them from leaking or blowing is this:

when your driving the seal on. hit it way harder and way more times then you have to. i'm convinced this spreads the seal out a little. i've never had any forks i do this way even leak a little.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:25 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

mousetrapping and weight dont normally blow seals out....its tiny specs of dirt and ****....get a set of Seal Savers and put em on your forks and you wont replace fork seals again!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 PM

SliverR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a problem with mine early last season but everything has been fine since I had them built back to oem specs.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:27 PM
kj

Originally Posted by eazenutz33
mousetrapping and weight dont normally blow seals out....its tiny specs of dirt and ****....get a set of Seal Savers and put em on your forks and you wont replace fork seals again!
Aparently not when it comes to 1000rr forks...

These were brand new.... had about 400mi on em at best.... cleaner then my old wrinkley ***** after a fresh shaving session.

Seal saver wouldn't have done ****.... I've beat the ever livin **** outta my old f4i forks for 3 seasons w/ never cleaning them, let alone looking at them.

These forks suck ***.....
Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by SliverR6
I had a problem with mine early last season but everything has been fine since I had them built back to oem specs.

+1 oem seals all the way
Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 PM

Tubba is a decent person

Same here bro I gotta replace my seals on my bike......just part of stunting
Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 PM

punishmentcycle is a decent person

the 92954 aren't any better.......on my second set of seals in 6 months
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 PM
kj

Originally Posted by Tubba
Same here bro I gotta replace my seals on my bike......just part of stunting
hmm....

in 3 1/2 years of stunting, this is only the 2nd set of seals that I've ever had go.

1st was on a 954 front end... from strapping my bike down too tight and leaving it in the back of the truck for too long... and if it wasn't that it was the every day slamming down of the front end due to just learning idle wheelies.

This seems to be more than "just part of stunting"... as I've already run into just about every problem that comes from "stunting".

This is definetly an oem problem w/ weak seals that aparently blow from nothing.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by kj
hmm....

in 3 1/2 years of stunting, this is only the 2nd set of seals that I've ever had go.

1st was on a 954 front end... from strapping my bike down too tight and leaving it in the back of the truck for too long... and if it wasn't that it was the every day slamming down of the front end due to just learning idle wheelies.

This seems to be more than "just part of stunting"... as I've already run into just about every problem that comes from "stunting".

This is definetly an oem problem w/ weak seals that aparently blow from nothing.

like i said, do em yourself and bang em on good and hard with the driver and you'll be good. trust!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

from what Ive seen inverted fork seals blow way more often than conventional forks
Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 AM

And with conventional forks if they do blow you're not as likely to notice for a while. So thats a plus as well
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 AM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 1000RR front end, it had ohlins internals but stock seals and with seal savers it never had a problem....same with my current 954 forks....haven't changed seals in a LONG time...almost 2 years prolly.

I played the same game with my old 600RR seals and I put seal savers on those forks and didnt have seals blow all the way thru until I sold the front end when I bought the 1000RR front end.

Sounds like it wouldnt help, but it really does!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Kj, would you clean out your pm's?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:03 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never blown out seals. **Knock on wood** But I try not to mousetrap often either.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:07 PM
kj

Originally Posted by inolen
Kj, would you clean out your pm's?
done

Quick Reply: 1000rr Fork seals SUCK