1000rr Fork seals SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:26 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 1000rr Fork seals SUCK

Originally Posted by kj
can ya explain exactly how you do it? I'm about to take these apart... it's rainy here today.
Do you have a manual? Or are you looking on how to build a ghetto fork seal driver? haha

If you have a manual, you would be better off checking that, then me trying to explain it

They got full detailed pictures that make it really easy. First time I did it, I was tripping.. Then I got done and said "that was TOO easy"

If you need help with the fork seal driver, I can slap together a picture in paintshop

(not at my house right now, out of town, so I can't just take a picture of my seal driver)
Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Do you have a manual? Or are you looking on how to build a ghetto fork seal driver? haha

Ive got a manual... I just need to see the seal driver or know how to make it.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kj
Ive got a manual... I just need to see the seal driver or know how to make it.

ok I tried making a drawing.. and it just turned out confusing looking

Basically just take your seals into a hardware store that sells pvc, find a peice of pvc that closest matches your fork seal, but is NOT smaller or close to the inside diameter of the forks.. But it can be bigger then then the outside of the fork seal.....

Then cut the entire pvc pipe lengthwise, so you now no have 2 U shaped half pipes..

And if your pvc was bigger then the fork seal, you have to cut groves in it, so it can pinch down, with ducttape or a hose clamp, to match the size of the fork seal. When I cut the groves, I only cut them like haflway up the pvc... That way the pvc still holds itself together, and the hose clamp only has to pinch down the end of the pvc to meet your fork seal size.

Then just follow the directions in your manual, only using your $5 for seal driver instead of a $100 driver :YEAH

Btw make sure you dont scratch your fork tubes

Goodluck.. if it goes as smooth for you as it did for me, you'll be bolting the forks back on the bike in about 2 hours of starting
Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM

c_jake9 is a decent person

4000 miles is nothing..

For someone thats rides a LOT, 4000 miles is like 2 months out of the dealership..

I know the first year I rode my f4i, I put a lil over 10k on it.. and I didn't even feel like I rode it THAT much
Agreed. I bought it in March and licensed it in April and have already put 4000 miles on it. I like it better than the 04 R1. I've never rode the new 07 R1s so I don't have an opinion. My F4 is my favorite bike though.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

ok I tried making a drawing.. and it just turned out confusing looking

Basically just take your seals into a hardware store that sells pvc, find a peice of pvc that closest matches your fork seal, but is NOT smaller or close to the inside diameter of the forks.. But it can be bigger then then the outside of the fork seal.....

Then cut the entire pvc pipe lengthwise, so you now no have 2 U shaped half pipes..

And if your pvc was bigger then the fork seal, you have to cut groves in it, so it can pinch down, with ducttape or a hose clamp, to match the size of the fork seal. When I cut the groves, I only cut them like haflway up the pvc... That way the pvc still holds itself together, and the hose clamp only has to pinch down the end of the pvc to meet your fork seal size.

Then just follow the directions in your manual, only using your $5 for seal driver instead of a $100 driver :YEAH

Btw make sure you dont scratch your fork tubes

Goodluck.. if it goes as smooth for you as it did for me, you'll be bolting the forks back on the bike in about 2 hours of starting

Awesome man thanks.... just one more question... about how long of a piece do I need? Cause I have a shitload of small scrap pieces at my shop from some old plumbing jobs.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

if you blow seals alot you might want to buy a driver off ebay. The drivers for conventional forks are real easy to make,but for inverted there a little more complicated. also you need a really long pair of needlenose pliers too
Old 05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by T-Dubby
Lin has 1000rr and I don't think i've ever seen him say his seals were blown. Maybe stick some heavier weight fluid that should help
his blow out all the time