I... must be an idiot...

Old 10-08-2007, 10:25 PM

pixel 6 is an unknown quantity at this point
I... must be an idiot...

So on August 2nd, I was at the local spot, putting in a session. Had been there for about 30 minutes, and was getting some practice in on my 3rd week of learning the handbrake.

So that I would truly focus on using only the HB, I moved both feet to the rear pegs, and was really comfortable rocking them near 12, certainly past the balance point with no probs.

I throw one up... and do the normal swagger back and forth across the balance point... squeeze the HB a few times... and like normal, I again go past the BP, and squeeze the HB...

... this is where the lever abruptly comes all the way into my grip. My HB had completely failed. Not sure if it was an air bubble or what. But it was completely gone. No fade. No warning... gone.

I loop at about 15, maybe 20mph and land of both my feet. Score one for the solid landing!!!

This is where my femur drives into my pelvis putting a 3" fracture... now the pelvis being as solid as it is... quits breaking, and my femur drives the other direction. I shattered my tibia into about 30 pieces. So 2 very long plates, and 11 screws later... I'm sitting here writing this, because I've been buying up parts for my 929 like mad on e-bay.

I must be an idiot.

Insurance company gave me a great price on the buy-back, so spending about $1700 converting her into a bad *** streetfighter.

I don't know what it is, but even after a nasty break like this one, that will take until spring of next year for certain before I can even think of riding.... and here I am, target fixated on playing with that BP, and risking life and limb (literally) to get out there again and get back to trying to learn spreaders.

I must be an idiot... but something about stunting... I just can't give it up. So much pain. So much money. So much risk... and I can't give it up.

I must be an idiot.

Anymore idiots out there that have paid the price, and still can't break away?

- Pixel -

Shot at 2007-10-08

^^^^^ Seriously busted up leg ^^^^^

Last edited by pixel 6; 10-08-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:29 PM

RepHateCrew is a decent person
Re: I... must be an idiot...

Mines no where close to yours actually i only got a few scratchs learning 4th gear seat standers one day...but i did wreck and am about to spend 250 on some new forks ...and i would do it all over again for that rush:YEAH
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 PM

Nick Apex is a decent person

Sorry about your leg, but thanks for ******* us on insurance, thats the idiot part.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

i split my collar bone in half 4 yrs ago and it still give me problems to this day
Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Hondajoe10 is a decent person

Oh **** dude, you got some battle stories now! Those scars are forever and that pain will be away by the time you realized you took that Perk or Vic. whatever they gave you. Its addicting and once your in, theres no way out. Bustin a nut on a hot chick has nothing over a good mile long wheelie with a few old ******* in cars driving by. Those 2 minutes on one wheel is what makes people free! And ****, breaking the law is fun, other wise it would be legal. Heal up soon, I broke my leg right before sr. prom so dont feel to bad. Goodluck
Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

wow thats alot of metal in your leg.....

maybe you should figure out why your brake failed before you ever use it again.....

heal up btutha
Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 PM

JT905 is a decent person

props to u i feel the same way its gonna take more than that to keep me out of the learning curve in this sport time will heal but this sport is forever in my heart! and yours too obviously...have a good recovery brotha hope they gave u some good meds atleast haha
Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
Sorry about your leg, but thanks for ******* us on insurance, thats the idiot part.
+1,000,000 - if you wreck stuntin thats on you - you shouldnt get insurance involved w that.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM

Well, the insurance paid for the bike... the medical is coming out of my pocket.

I'm still not sure what happened to the brake exactly. When we took the HB off before we got it to the dealership to be inspected... we were pulling it off, and it was kinked into nearly in 2 pieces near the forks, about a foot down the line from the fluid res. That could have been from the bike rainbowing and smacking the ground on the clipons... But not sure.

I've felt brake fade before on mile + wheelies, so I'm positive it wasn't that. Squeezed it a few times on that wheelie too, felt fine. Then bam. Gone.

God. burned that sensation into my bones... That moment of "you got to be kidding me".

Landed on my feet, then fell forward. Slid all of a foot, and tried to get up. Bike was only about 10 feet in front of me. Such a slow fall.

Ooh, side note. Going with the dirtbike risers this time around. Good call?

- Pixel -
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM

cjstunts is an unknown quantity at this point

ummmm isn't times like this that insurance is for? thats why we pay it, for accidents....
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

DBB's are the ****. Took me a little bit to get used to em but now I'd never go back.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by cjstunts
ummmm isn't times like this that insurance is for? thats why we pay it, for accidents....
IMO - Insurance is for accidents - legitimate accidents. Not ****** up on a seat stander and then making a claim. Again just my opinion.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 PM

Not sure what "PC" is on the insurance bit. Not trying to raise everyone's rates.

Said nothing about stunting to them. "lowside in the rain" is what they heard.

Hopefully I'm not a doush on that bit. But I'm out of work for a while. Over half the cash I got from them is going back into the bike. Rest is just buying time until I can work again, and start paying off the nearly 10 grand in medical bills.

- Pixel -
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 PM

Not to beat this one into the ground... but technically, it was a mechanical failure that resulted in the crash. Just bad timing to have it.

If I had tank slapped putting one down on the highway sure... rider error.

Like putting in a track day, and having a safety cable on your drain bolt fail, and you crash because you track the oil...

Yes, you were in the extreme situation... but a mechanical failure was still the culprit.

- Pixel -

I don't know.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:57 PM
NealFoReal

Whats done is done already but if you told the insurance company you had a mechanical failure w your handbrake while on one wheel you know you wouldnt have received any money. Same thing applies with trackdays. You cant tell them that you were taking turn 3 and lowsided at 120+. And it was a mechanical failure from an aftermarket stunt product - not from the factory. 2cents.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
Whats done is done already but if you told the insurance company you had a mechanical failure w your handbrake while on one wheel you know you wouldnt have received any money. Same thing applies with trackdays. You cant tell them that you were taking turn 3 and lowsided at 120+. And it was a mechanical failure from an aftermarket stunt product - not from the factory. 2cents.
lol. Fair play.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM
NealFoReal

With regards to the stuntin aspect of your post - I'm with you on that though. Ever since attempting my first wheelie, this is all I wanna do. I watch the people who are nice and strive to get as good as possible. I still suck but I do practice as much as possible to get better. I've never crashed/looped/wrecked and thought that would be it. I'm always thinking of what I did wrong and what I could have done to prevent that.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 PM
also known as OMR

insurance companies live to **** people over so i wouldn't lose any sleep for them getting fucked once in a while ........

there job is to take your premiums and not pay out when it's needed
Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 PM

NOR*CAL is a decent person

dont worry about what some of these jokers are sayin we all know what its like to need money every now and then. Spend that **** and buy me a couple beers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I... must be an idiot...