Did I Bust Something?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:02 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep
Did I Bust Something?

Haven't really looked at my bike since I looped it the other day but after checking it out today I noticed this dont look right. I dont do the work on my bike since I'm not mechanically inclined but looking at the bike/pics it looks like the cage used to connect to that hole somehow? Is the cage supposed to connect to the hole in the pic? That side is loose compared to the other side which is tight. Oh and its an 06 Gixxer 600 with the new style 905 cage if that matters. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	195304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	195305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	195306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	195307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	195308  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	195309  
Old 06-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Did I Bust Something?

looks like the cage bolt snapped off probly bent the cage to ****** chulla vista metal 905 cages dont take abuse well but some have luck with them

Last edited by Scott-; 06-03-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:14 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by KSFSTUNTER
looks like the cage bolt snapped off probly bent the cage to ****** chulla vista metal 905 cages dont take abuse well but some have luck with them
So what do I gotta do to fix it, from your experience? Is there a piece that I have to order from 905?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:16 PM

john3/1 is an unknown quantity at this point

what does the bike look like now
Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gixxerstunter06
So what do I gotta do to fix it, from your experience? Is there a piece that I have to order from 905?
You have to get the old bolt out of the there and make sure the threads are ok. Then put on a new bolt.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by john3/1
what does the bike look like now
Bike looks fine - only cracked the fairings on the side and what shows in the pics with the cage.

Originally Posted by inolen
You have to get the old bolt out of the there and make sure the threads are ok. Then put on a new bolt.
Do I have to order a new bolt from 905?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
u been huffin?

f4ibry is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like u snapped the motor mount, u prolly need to take off the fairings and see if u did.

i dont know how the new gixers mount the motors, but ur in for some work... post up when u or somebody that knows, knows more!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Do I have to order a new bolt from 905?
Uhm dude, it's probably just a common metric bolt, go to the hardware store and get one.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
NealFoReal

Uhm dude, it's probably just a common metric bolt, go to the hardware store and get one.
Originally Posted by f4ibry
looks like u snapped the motor mount, u prolly need to take off the fairings and see if u did.

i dont know how the new gixers mount the motors, but ur in for some work... post up when u or somebody that knows, knows more!
Okay, I can get the fairings off so I probably do that and post up some pics to see what I gotta do. I really wish i knew how to fix bikes like most of you do. This looks like something I can do though? Hopefully anyway.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Okay, I can get the fairings off so I probably do that and post up some pics to see what I gotta do.
If you don't know where to get a bolt at you're probably pretty fucked on getting that old bolt out.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Throttle choppin'

IRISH MIKE is a jewel in the roughIRISH MIKE is a jewel in the roughIRISH MIKE is a jewel in the rough

Take the faring off so you can see exactly what goes where. If the bolt is snapped off then you just have to drill out the broken part that is in your frame. No biggy there. If the bolt was strong enough (but probably wasent) and stripped out the threads in your frame, than you might be able to tap out the hole with a tap set and use a different bolt. Post up when you figure it out and for god sakes...dont take it to a dealer!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:38 PM
NealFoReal

If you don't know where to get a bolt at you're probably pretty fucked on getting that old bolt out.
I know - I'm probably gonna wind up needing help but I'm gonna try this ish myself.

Originally Posted by P*I*M*P
Take the faring off so you can see exactly what goes where. If the bolt is snapped off then you just have to drill out the broken part that is in your frame. No biggy there. If the bolt was strong enough (but probably wasent) and stripped out the threads in your frame, than you might be able to tap out the hole with a tap set and use a different bolt. Post up when you figure it out and for god sakes...dont take it to a dealer!
I'm gonna give it a shot myself but I never bring the bike to a stealership. AJ @ Xpostreetfighter always hooks me up if I need help so if I cant figure it out then Xpo it is.

Like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined but I'm gonna try this one first before giving up and going to Xpo if I dont get anywhere.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Outlawtorn50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude, go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a bolt extractor kit with those treated carb bits. Use a bit smaller in diameter than that bolt and get a good hole in it. Make sure you use some machine oil to keep the friction down when you're drilling. Once you have a deep enough hole use an extractor and that bolt should come out. If it just broke off and didn't strip it out then you can go buy another metric bolt. If it did strip it then dril a little larger in diameter hole and tap it for a bigger bolt.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 AM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by Outlawtorn50
Dude, go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a bolt extractor kit with those treated carb bits. Use a bit smaller in diameter than that bolt and get a good hole in it. Make sure you use some machine oil to keep the friction down when you're drilling. Once you have a deep enough hole use an extractor and that bolt should come out. If it just broke off and didn't strip it out then you can go buy another metric bolt. If it did strip it then dril a little larger in diameter hole and tap it for a bigger bolt.
Good looks bro. I'ma get on it this weekend fo sho. I'll let ya'll know how I do. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM

Outlawtorn50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right on, good luck. Be careful not to ground out the threads when you're drilling the hole for the extractor. Always go on the smaller side and go bigger if needed.

Last edited by Outlawtorn50; 06-05-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I'M A REGISTERED USER !!

Crazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to behold

Take the bushing off of the end and see if the head of the bolt is inside the cage .

If you also bent the cage and the hole won't line up when you are putting it back together , i think you are screwed .

Maybe loosen the other cage bolts and try lining it up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture%20005.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	195398  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by Crazy D
Take the bushing off of the end and see if the head of the bolt is inside the cage .

If you also bent the cage and the hole won't line up when you are putting it back together , i think you are screwed .

Maybe loosen the other cage bolts and try lining it up
Yeah sucks - my non mechanically inclined *** will see whats up this weekend but I know I'm gonna run into problems. F it tho - gotta learn somehow and I aint riding this weekend so it will be a good time to try and figure this out. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 PM

SliverR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to stunt you have to learn how to work on your own bikes. Otherwise your bike is going to be in a shop for the whole summer waiting to get fixed.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by SliverR6
If you want to stunt you have to learn how to work on your own bikes. Otherwise your bike is going to be in a shop for the whole summer waiting to get fixed.
No doubt - I'm learning that. I already brought the bike back a couple of times but I figured no better time than now to try and fix it myself. And if I mess it up I can always bring it to the shop then.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

*trix* is infamous around these parts*trix* is infamous around these parts

you should get an FI cage

Last edited by *trix*; 07-27-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Did I Bust Something?