Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Stunt Discussion (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion)
-   -   Did I Bust Something? (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion/191801-did-i-bust-something.html)

OnEWhEeLNEAL 06-03-2007 08:02 PM

Did I Bust Something?

6 Attachment(s)
Haven't really looked at my bike since I looped it the other day but after checking it out today I noticed this dont look right. :shruggs I dont do the work on my bike since I'm not mechanically inclined but looking at the bike/pics it looks like the cage used to connect to that hole somehow? Is the cage supposed to connect to the hole in the pic? That side is loose compared to the other side which is tight. Oh and its an 06 Gixxer 600 with the new style 905 cage if that matters. Thanks for any help.

Scott- 06-03-2007 08:06 PM

Re: Did I Bust Something?

looks like the cage bolt snapped off probly bent the cage to fuckin chulla vista metal 905 cages dont take abuse well but some have luck with them

OnEWhEeLNEAL 06-03-2007 08:14 PM

[quote=KSFSTUNTER;2796848]looks like the cage bolt snapped off probly bent the cage to fuckin chulla vista metal 905 cages dont take abuse well but some have luck with them[/quote]

So what do I gotta do to fix it, from your experience? Is there a piece that I have to order from 905?

john3/1 06-03-2007 08:16 PM

what does the bike look like now

inolen 06-03-2007 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxerstunter06;2796862]So what do I gotta do to fix it, from your experience? Is there a piece that I have to order from 905?[/QUOTE]

You have to get the old bolt out of the there and make sure the threads are ok. Then put on a new bolt.

OnEWhEeLNEAL 06-03-2007 08:22 PM

[quote=john3/1;2796866]what does the bike look like now[/quote]

Bike looks fine - only cracked the fairings on the side and what shows in the pics with the cage.

[quote=inolen;2796871]You have to get the old bolt out of the there and make sure the threads are ok. Then put on a new bolt.[/quote]
Do I have to order a new bolt from 905?

f4ibry 06-03-2007 08:22 PM

looks like u snapped the motor mount, u prolly need to take off the fairings and see if u did.

i dont know how the new gixers mount the motors, but ur in for some work... post up when u or somebody that knows, knows more!

inolen 06-03-2007 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxerstunter06;2796872]Do I have to order a new bolt from 905?[/QUOTE]

Uhm dude, it's probably just a common metric bolt, go to the hardware store and get one.

OnEWhEeLNEAL 06-03-2007 08:28 PM

[quote=inolen;2796875]Uhm dude, it's probably just a common metric bolt, go to the hardware store and get one.[/quote]

[quote=f4ibry;2796874]looks like u snapped the motor mount, u prolly need to take off the fairings and see if u did.

i dont know how the new gixers mount the motors, but ur in for some work... post up when u or somebody that knows, knows more![/quote]

Okay, I can get the fairings off so I probably do that and post up some pics to see what I gotta do. I really wish i knew how to fix bikes like most of you do. This looks like something I can do though? Hopefully anyway.

inolen 06-03-2007 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=Gixxerstunter06;2796878]Okay, I can get the fairings off so I probably do that and post up some pics to see what I gotta do.[/QUOTE]

If you don't know where to get a bolt at you're probably pretty fucked on getting that old bolt out.

IRISH MIKE 06-03-2007 08:31 PM

Take the faring off so you can see exactly what goes where. If the bolt is snapped off then you just have to drill out the broken part that is in your frame. No biggy there. If the bolt was strong enough (but probably wasent) and stripped out the threads in your frame, than you might be able to tap out the hole with a tap set and use a different bolt. Post up when you figure it out and for god sakes...dont take it to a dealer!

OnEWhEeLNEAL 06-03-2007 08:38 PM

[quote=inolen;2796880]If you don't know where to get a bolt at you're probably pretty fucked on getting that old bolt out.[/quote]

I know - I'm probably gonna wind up needing help but I'm gonna try this ish myself.

[quote=P*I*M*P;2796884]Take the faring off so you can see exactly what goes where. If the bolt is snapped off then you just have to drill out the broken part that is in your frame. No biggy there. If the bolt was strong enough (but probably wasent) and stripped out the threads in your frame, than you might be able to tap out the hole with a tap set and use a different bolt. Post up when you figure it out and for god sakes...dont take it to a dealer![/quote]

I'm gonna give it a shot myself but I never bring the bike to a stealership. AJ @ Xpostreetfighter always hooks me up if I need help so if I cant figure it out then Xpo it is.

Like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined :banghead but I'm gonna try this one first before giving up and going to Xpo if I dont get anywhere.

Outlawtorn50 06-05-2007 10:29 AM

Dude, go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a bolt extractor kit with those treated carb bits. Use a bit smaller in diameter than that bolt and get a good hole in it. Make sure you use some machine oil to keep the friction down when you're drilling. Once you have a deep enough hole use an extractor and that bolt should come out. If it just broke off and didn't strip it out then you can go buy another metric bolt. If it did strip it then dril a little larger in diameter hole and tap it for a bigger bolt.

OnEWhEeLNEAL 06-05-2007 11:31 AM

[quote=Outlawtorn50;2799981]Dude, go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a bolt extractor kit with those treated carb bits. Use a bit smaller in diameter than that bolt and get a good hole in it. Make sure you use some machine oil to keep the friction down when you're drilling. Once you have a deep enough hole use an extractor and that bolt should come out. If it just broke off and didn't strip it out then you can go buy another metric bolt. If it did strip it then dril a little larger in diameter hole and tap it for a bigger bolt.[/quote]
Good looks bro. I'ma get on it this weekend fo sho. I'll let ya'll know how I do. Thanks.

Outlawtorn50 06-05-2007 11:50 AM

Right on, good luck. Be careful not to ground out the threads when you're drilling the hole for the extractor. Always go on the smaller side and go bigger if needed.

Crazy D 06-05-2007 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Take the bushing off of the end and see if the head of the bolt is inside the cage .

If you also bent the cage and the hole won't line up when you are putting it back together , i think you are screwed .

Maybe loosen the other cage bolts and try lining it up :shruggs

OnEWhEeLNEAL 06-05-2007 01:41 PM

[quote=Crazy D;2800367]Take the bushing off of the end and see if the head of the bolt is inside the cage .

If you also bent the cage and the hole won't line up when you are putting it back together , i think you are screwed .

Maybe loosen the other cage bolts and try lining it up :shruggs[/quote]
Yeah sucks - my non mechanically inclined ass will see whats up this weekend but I know I'm gonna run into problems. F it tho - gotta learn somehow and I aint riding this weekend so it will be a good time to try and figure this out. Thanks.

SliverR6 06-05-2007 02:30 PM

If you want to stunt you have to learn how to work on your own bikes. Otherwise your bike is going to be in a shop for the whole summer waiting to get fixed.

OnEWhEeLNEAL 06-05-2007 02:44 PM

[quote=SliverR6;2800584]If you want to stunt you have to learn how to work on your own bikes. Otherwise your bike is going to be in a shop for the whole summer waiting to get fixed.[/quote]
No doubt - I'm learning that. I already brought the bike back a couple of times but I figured no better time than now to try and fix it myself. And if I mess it up I can always bring it to the shop then.:banghead :banghead

*trix* 07-27-2010 04:34 PM

[quote=Gixxerstunter06;2796862]So what do I gotta do to fix it, from your experience? Is there a piece that I have to order from 905?[/quote]

you should get an FI cage