FIDDY TECH: Help, How-to, Parts & Mods Have a technical question? Looking for the best parts? Want to share some info on new fiddy parts you bought or have seen? Post it up here!

HELP:Noob and Not Mech. Inclined!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Yev

Yev is a decent person
Exclamation HELP:Noob and Not Mech. Inclined!!

Hey guys,
I picked up a 2004 CRF50F locally and it was all sorts of messed up. I cleaned the carb/air filter so far.
My problems are these:
1.Fuel leaks out of the hose connected to the carb bowl. (looks to be excessive)

2. (Don't make fun) I am not sure which was to tighten the air/fuel screw in order to adjust it to 1 1/2 - 2 turns out. (Do I tighten in the left directions and then turn back out from there or in the right directions and turn out from there?)

3.I got it to run but when I shift from 1 to 2nd it pops a wheelie.. (any suggestions for making it more smooth, until I want it to wheelie???)

4. It has a BBR throttle/Bars/Triple.. But I noticed that they are not aligned with the front wheel. What I did was stand in front of the bike and used my legs to hold the front wheel steady and turn the bars so the wheel & bars are aligned.. Is there any way to make sure they won't swivel again?

There are probably more questions I have, but these will do for now.
All your help is appreciated!

-Thanks,
Yev
Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM

skateparkdave is a decent person
Re: HELP:Noob and Not Mech. Inclined!!

#1 check that bowl drain screw next to hose is tight. (righty tighty, lefty loosey from 12 oclock) This screw allows you to drain the carb out of the said hose.

#2 again, righty tighty, lefty loosey from 12 oclock applies.

#3 must be idled too high or you had it pegged

#4 you can loosen the two bolts to forks at triple clamp and get it straight and retighten

Hope this helps

Dave
Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Yev

Yev is a decent person

Originally Posted by skateparkdave
#1 check that bowl drain screw next to hose is tight. (righty tighty, lefty loosey from 12 oclock) This screw allows you to drain the carb out of the said hose.

#2 again, righty tighty, lefty loosey from 12 oclock applies.

#3 must be idled too high or you had it pegged

#4 you can loosen the two bolts to forks at triple clamp and get it straight and retighten

Hope this helps

Dave
Thanks man.. Wasn't sure if the righty - tighty thing applied to the F/A mixture screw.. So I should just tighten it up (without excess force, in the right directions) and screw it out 1 1/2 turns to the left afterwords? (And by 12 o'clock do you mean the indent for the screw driver should be lined up vertically?.. like this picture?

And regarding #4.. are you referring to the bolts that would go here?? (circled in black)

Thanks so much for your help,
Yev.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 AM

skateparkdave is a decent person

Go here and look at carb pic by #1
http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Produc...0-HXR-5001.pdf

The very top screw is idle and is the one you close to the right and open 1 1/2 turns to left. The flat recessed screw below that is air/fuel mix screw. Close it to right and only open 1/8 to 1/4 to left for engine starting point. Adjust to satisfaction after started and warmed up good. Bottom screw is just bowl drain.

Regarding screw position. Doesn't matter where slit is, just look at the top of the screw head as a clock face. Tip top is 12 ocloock. Turning counter clockwise (left) from that point will loosen and turning right will tighten.

And yes, those are the correct bolts to loosen and adjust wheel angle. Same righty tighty principle applies.

You can go to http://www.BBRmotorsports.com and click "instructions" and get a bunch of pdf files like that one with pics and info on various fiddy tech topics.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Yev

Yev is a decent person

Originally Posted by skateparkdave
Go here and look at carb pic by #1
http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Produc...0-HXR-5001.pdf

The very top screw is idle and is the one you close to the right and open 1 1/2 turns to left. The flat recessed screw below that is air/fuel mix screw. Close it to right and only open 1/8 to 1/4 to left for engine starting point. Adjust to satisfaction after started and warmed up good. Bottom screw is just bowl drain.

Regarding screw position. Doesn't matter where slit is, just look at the top of the screw head as a clock face. Tip top is 12 ocloock. Turning counter clockwise (left) from that point will loosen and turning right will tighten.

And yes, those are the correct bolts to loosen and adjust wheel angle. Same righty tighty principle applies.

You can go to http://www.BBRmotorsports.com and click "instructions" and get a bunch of pdf files like that one with pics and info on various fiddy tech topics.

Hope it helps.
Really appreciate all your help.
Thanks,
Yev
Old 03-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Yev

Yev is a decent person

Got the 50 running a little better today.
-Last night I tightened the chain (15-20 mm freeplay).
-Today I cleaned and lubed the chain, played with the f/a mixture and idle screw a little more, and changed the oil.
(carb. hose is no longer leaking crazy amounts of gas )
Problems right now:
-While riding down a hill and letting off the throttle, the bike back fires a bit..
-When I twist the throttle, there is good response from 0 to 2/3 throttle, but the remaining 1/3 is pretty boggy..
-Still jerks a little bit when I shift gears (not as bad as before)

If anyone has any input for these new challenges, let me know!
Thanks,
Yev