FIDDY TECH: Help, How-to, Parts & Mods Have a technical question? Looking for the best parts? Want to share some info on new fiddy parts you bought or have seen? Post it up here!

'03 50 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:52 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point
'03 50 wont start

Was riding the 50 around the block last week and it died mid ride. I Have fuel. Read through the manual and checked the fuel line to the carb. Checked the spark plug (looked fine, a little oil), placed it on the engine and cranked the motor. No spark. Im not sure about 50's and the manual doesn't explain more if ignition is the problem. Im guessing I can check the device that produces the spark or something. Anyone have any ideas??? I went through 3/4 of the posts and couldn't find much. And yes, my key is on, fuel on, killswitch off.
Alex
Old 07-11-2005, 09:02 PM

middleschooler can only hope to improve
Re: '03 50 wont start

lol......buy a spark plug........itll be good as new
Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 PM

N*A*M is an unknown quantity at this point

i would try these checks, and try to start it after each one

- disconnect the plug for the key and kill switch
- check that the ignition coil is earthed properly. there is a tab on the frame just under the fuel tank. there is a wire from the ignition coil that needs to be well grounded to the frame
- undo the carby from the elbow connecting it to the head, squirt a few drops of fuel down the elbow, reconnect the carby and retry
- also it wouldn't hurt to drain your old fuel and refill the tank. you may have a blocked fuel passage for all we know
Old 07-16-2005, 12:57 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by middleschooler
lol......buy a spark plug........itll be good as new
YOu think so?? Im not getting any spark from it but do you think that would completely foul up?? It didn't look too bad.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:03 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by N*A*M
i would try these checks, and try to start it after each one

- disconnect the plug for the key and kill switch
- check that the ignition coil is earthed properly. there is a tab on the frame just under the fuel tank. there is a wire from the ignition coil that needs to be well grounded to the frame
- undo the carby from the elbow connecting it to the head, squirt a few drops of fuel down the elbow, reconnect the carby and retry
- also it wouldn't hurt to drain your old fuel and refill the tank. you may have a blocked fuel passage for all we know
Im almost sure its not the fuel, unless its in the carb. I'll check out what you said.

Are there any fuses on these small bikes??
Im almost sure its electrical, but Im not sure where to look after the spark plug. Im guessing some type of coil??
thanks
alex
Old 07-16-2005, 01:24 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

808stunna is an unknown quantity at this point

if your not getting spark then the first thing you wanna do is find someone with a volt meter and check to see if your stator is produceing power. if there is 8 to 12 volts when you kick it over then you are ok there. then check to see if voltage is getting to the coil. if its not then that might mean your cdi box is bad or your coil is bad. check to see if your coil has resistence, meaning that power passes through it. if there is then your cdi may be bad. but most of teh time the cdi dont just go bad. it is most likely your stator. if you find that there is power going to everywhere then try and changing the plug. a littel advice to you is to take teh plug out when tryign to kick it for power while doing the voltage test. you'll use less energy kicking. good luck
Old 07-16-2005, 03:40 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by 808stunna
if your not getting spark then the first thing you wanna do is find someone with a volt meter and check to see if your stator is produceing power. if there is 8 to 12 volts when you kick it over then you are ok there. then check to see if voltage is getting to the coil. if its not then that might mean your cdi box is bad or your coil is bad. check to see if your coil has resistence, meaning that power passes through it. if there is then your cdi may be bad. but most of teh time the cdi dont just go bad. it is most likely your stator. if you find that there is power going to everywhere then try and changing the plug. a littel advice to you is to take teh plug out when tryign to kick it for power while doing the voltage test. you'll use less energy kicking. good luck
WOW!! thanks alot!
Where do I place the volt meter during the test?? IM guessing back at the stator or within the rubber boot.
Thanks again
I'll post back when I get to the bottom of this.
Alex
Old 07-16-2005, 04:36 PM

there should be 2 wires coming out from the stator i cant quit remember what colors they are but i think it was black with a red stripe and a blue with a yellow or white stripe. the black ad red wire should be the one coming from the stator, so place the positive part of the volt meter on that wire and the negative on any good metel part of the bike fro the ground. let me know if you need to know anythign else.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:49 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by 808stunna
there should be 2 wires coming out ......
Thanks alot 808. I really appreciate the quick response.
I'll reply later once I take a look at it.
Alex
Old 07-16-2005, 04:58 PM

no problem, im at work with nothing better to do then help a fellow ride out. good luck.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:26 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Well go figure. I took everything off and checked for a few things. Put enough back to start her up and what do you know. It starts. And runs better then before, for some reason. THanks for the help fellas. Alex