FIDDY TECH: Help, How-to, Parts & Mods Have a technical question? Looking for the best parts? Want to share some info on new fiddy parts you bought or have seen? Post it up here!

Little Help...Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:51 PM

NautMC is an unknown quantity at this point
Little Help...Engine Noise

My 50 started making a ticking noise. It sounds like its coming from the head (if thats what its called, not much of a mechanic). When it first started it sounded like it was just when it was idling but now I think I hear it even when I rev the engine. Any ideas on what it could be, or anybody have any suggestions on what to look at to see if something is wrong ? Thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 03:55 PM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Little Help...Engine Noise

you need to adjust your valves. thats the rocker arm slappin the top of the valve. look in your owner manual, it says how to do it. youre gonna need a feeler gauge thats .002". if you dont have a manual, post back and ill tell you what to do
Old 02-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Nope no manual, thanks for the help bro.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:12 PM

take the left side engine cover off. turn the flywheel to where the "T" lines up with the notch at 12 oclock on engine case. make sure its on compression stroke when you line it up, itll have some resistance when it is.

take off the round covers on the cylinder head, should be a 17mm i think. look in there, thats youre rocker arms, top side is intake, bottom one is exhaust. make sure the engine is cold before you check/adjust them

slide the feeler in between the nipple stickin up from the valve and the rocker arm. it should fit snuggly through there, some resistance but shouldnt have to force it. if its too lose, back off the nut on top and turn the adjuster clockwise a hair, then recheck. when you get it right, tighten the nut back down, make sure you dont turn the adjuster with it. repeat on other side. put all **** back together and your done. should take about 15 minutes.

btw, make sure you check the oil too
Old 02-02-2005, 04:16 PM

Hurricane F2 thanks alot.

I'm looking on amazon.com for a manual, they have the clymer ones 97-03 xr50 & xr70, is this the one eveyone uses ?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:19 PM

yeah, but you dont really need it. i think i got an online manual for the z50, same engine and specs, pm me your email and ill send em to ya.

wouldnt hurt to have that, but theres not a whole lot to these things really. the manual i was talkin about is the one that comes with your fiddy, the owners manual
Old 02-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Just go to two brother's web site. You can pretty much figure out how to take a whole motor apart and put it back together as long as you have a little mechanical ability.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Lacks self-control

C6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud of

If adjusting the valve doesn't fix it I had a similar problem with an older z 50 and the rubber timing chain idler wheel was worn cauing the timing chain to tap the side of the case
Old 02-02-2005, 07:02 PM

turboglenn is an unknown quantity at this point

man, mine only has about 10 hours on it and i hear some noises too, especially in high RPM's just figure it's prolly normal. i've never owned a honda that wasn't noisy as hell

i'd like to hear everone's input on "noises" cause i'm sure we;ve all got em in some form or another,
Old 02-02-2005, 07:49 PM

give it some more time turboglenn, then check em. its not even broke in yet. when you got em set right, theyre pretty quiet. even if its ticking theyll run forever so i wouldnt get too worried about it
Old 02-02-2005, 08:10 PM

hurrican, my noise is more in the tranny at high revs, i'm not worried though really, my F2 and both F3's were noisy ALL THE TIME and still ran till i wrecked em or sold em..
Old 02-02-2005, 08:12 PM

i dunno about the fiddy, the cbrs probably needed cam chain tensioners. mine started goin and it sounded like a soda can full of marbles
Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 AM

yea, i'm sure you know all about hondas and CCT's i put APE manuals in all mine. but CBR's are still noisy internally by nature, at least all teh fast ones..hahahahahaha
Old 02-03-2005, 03:05 PM

Well I've spent most of the morning and most of the afternoon phuking with the valve adjustment, I think I finally got that ****, but guess what, that damn ticking noise is still there. With closer inspection (by putting my ear on things) it sounds like the noise is coming from the tranny or the flywheel. So I'm about to put everything back together and say F it. Big ride tonight in Northeast PA, we are doing some filming so I'm just gonna ride it tonight and see what happens. Worst case scenario I'll take it to a dealer and see if they can figure anything out. I know thats just asking to be bent over though. Oh Well. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:56 PM

i wouldnt take it to a dealer till it blows up

use a screwdriver, put the handle against your ear and stick the end against the motor until you find out where its coming from. you can also use a piece of hose to do the same, sounds silly but it works. let me know if you have any other questions

btw, is your motor stock or a big bore?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:23 PM

Motor is all stock
Old 02-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

fab5fiddy is a decent person

hold a rag over the exhaust while reving the motor. you will pinpoint that noise in a bout 2 seconds.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:40 PM

sounds like teh same noise i have, all stock engine 05 crf and when it's runnin there's someticing in the tranny you can hear kinda good hen revved up. probably just the way it's made, my first 50 lasted me over 10 years as a kid/teenager, i beat the livving pi$$ out of it then traded it off, hondas are notorious for noisy engine/tranny combos....i wouldn't worry

BTW, my bike barely has 12 hours on it now......but my 03 gixxer got it's own noised right after break in too though, all i'm sayin is prolly aint as bad as your thinkin,,,,just ride it untill you KNOW something is broken.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:27 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

First Off, What Did You Set The Valves At? They Should Be Set At .05 Mm. Double Check Them Again. Make Sure The Bike Is Cold When You Do It. A Little Trick To Make It Faster= Dont Take The Cover Off To Find Tdc, Take The Spark Plug Out And Roll The Motor Over Until The Top Of The Piston Hits A Pick Or A Screwdriver That You Put In The Spark Plug Hole. Then Feel Both Rockers, They Should Wiggle And Have Play In Them, If They Are Tight Roll The Motor Over Again To Tdc Compression. Now Check Them. The Range Is + Or - .002 Mm From .05 Mm. So Be Exact.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:35 AM

impakt is an unknown quantity at this point

wattaup mike, it may sound dumb but i had a noise(still do) like what your describing and it was coming from the footbrake..only came at high revs, brand new 50.. i just dropped 2 washers on where the arm hit the back brake and it made the noise quite down 96%..easy fix

Quick Reply: Little Help...Engine Noise