Teach me to ride!!!!!!(instructions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:58 PM

Billyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Teach me to ride!!!!!!(instructions)

If you had a friend who just got his first bike but has never really rode before, not even dirt bikes. But the only catch is you were in adifferent state and couldn't be there to teach him to ride. From step ONE exactly what instructions would you give him. What things should he watch for how should he turn, everything. This friend has ridden on a motorcycle once or twice but only up and down the street, so he does know how to take off, whats the break and how to shift ect...... Exactly what would you tell him thanks alot
p.s The bike is a 94 900rr
Old 04-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
Re: Teach me to ride!!!!!!(instructions)

Holy shiat, he's starting out on a 900RR. Well each to their own. I would say take the Motorcycle Saftey Course sponsored by ABATE. If he doesn't have time for that or they are already filled up.....just take it really easy, and wear his gear. I can almost put a 90% chance he'll drop his bike at least once. Have someone that rides sensible(hard to think of riding like that, but sometimes you have to) for him to follow......almost drive yourself like a semi-truck so things happen slow. That's about all I know, I grew up with bikes and 3-wheelers
Old 04-03-2004, 05:05 PM

sWiFtY 50 is an unknown quantity at this point

it sounds like your the friend that needs the help.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:05 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GoBo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well first i would stand the bike up and put it in nuetral then trun up the choke turn the key to the on position and press the starter button in till you hear the bike start idleing then release the start button, now with the choke on let the bike idle till it warms up a little I usually go once its over 80 degrees. ok now that the bike is warm. turn off the choke ithe idle should drop some thats ok. now pull in the clutch with your left hand so that you can press down with your left foot on the shift peg till it clicks into 1st. Now you have the bike in 1st gear and clutch pulled slowly release the clutch while at the same time giving a little throtle with a role of your right rist. As the clutch comes further out the gear should engage and the bike will begin to move. Make sure that both hands are firmly on the handle bars as this will help you steer. now that your moving in fist gear and doing an ok rpm you can decide to shift to 2nd and go a little faster, to do the you will engage the clutch again by pulling it althe way in with you left hand, now that the clutch is in pull up on the shirf lever with the top of your left foot. you should feel it slip through nuetral and click into second gear. now release the clutch in a controled manner and apply throttle again the the right wrist twisting motion metioned earlier. now you should beable to accelerate in second and go faster and it goes the same threw all the gears . Ok with down shifting its the same concept as shifting up except your applying brakes at the same tim while putting the bike in a lower gear . to do this you would engage the clutch let off the throttle apply front brakes firmly with your right hand and rear brakes with your right foot (downward pushing motion on break pedal) as you slow with the clutch pulled take your left foot and (with a downward motion ) click the shifter into a lower gear. Once your slow enough you can put one or both feet on the ground (as not to fall over ) and boom there is how you start riding I hope this lesson was enjoyable and helpfull. if You ever need more help just let me know

LOL JK dude just tell him get on and kinda learn at your own pace dont jump to far ahaed of your ability and enjoy :YEAH