hmmmmm, bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 05:34 PM

Danimal is a decent person
hmmmmm, bike?

aight i gotta q, im getiin my first bike and i love the 929 it looks badd *** and i've heard so much about it, but i think i might not be able to handle it since its my first bike, my other option is prolly a F4i, dont really kno much about them though, if i do get a bike i want to keep my first bike in decent condition for a while then stunt the **** outta it, by the way, i'm 5'10 and 146 lbs, what do u guys thinkż
Old 09-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
600's got more then enough power, just depends on how well you can ride in the first place. Either bike is fast, just take it easy if you're never ridden any kind of bike first, and expect to drop it. Oh yeah, wear your gear, you can look at the other posts and see why.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:15 PM

gixxer750rider will become famous soon enough
y does it say yamaha r6 in your profile if ya dont got gotta a bike yet and ya gettin your first
Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about
I don't know how old you are but I am going back to what I explained to the "KID" when he asked. I say no. First off its your first bike and it'll take time to get used to. Don't push your luck. Don't try to be one of the big boyz until you master the technique. When you get in a car do you think about how hard you have to hit the brake or gas pedal. NO. That's how riding a big bike should be. Next your a little guy and it would probably be hard for you to even keep it on the ground with your lack of skill.
Here let me say a few things.

Yes, the 929 among other liter bikes is a machine, the trouble is you have not read the instruction book
It will always do, exactly what you tell it, unless there is a mechanical defect.

And herein lies the issue.

There is no instinct on earth that will save you from highsiding into oblivion. You only have to watch MotoGP to realise that the very best riders in the world crash on an all-too regular basis, and their amazing skills cannot always save them.

A simple example is this...

You are heading out of a corner, and you wind a little too much throttle on for the situation.

The back starts to step out.

All of your instincts scream at you to back off.

so, you back off, snapping the throttle shut, and the next thing you know you are sliding along the road on your ***.

The obvious thing to blame here is the gravel in the road, or the diesel spilled by a truck, or even a poorly maintained drain.

The real reason that you are sliding along on your ***, is inexperience.

You did not notice the road conditions, you did wound a little too much throttle on for the lean angle etc

Sedondly you snapped the throttle shut. This is the actual reason for the high-side.

The machine responded exactly as you requested, it went from diminishing grip, to loads of grip, and physics stepped in to teach you a lesson.

Do that on a GS500, and you will get thrown in the air, and 9/10 of the time you will land back in the seat with sore *****. The liter bike, being that much more responsive to your instructions, will treat you with utter contempt, and throw you down the road.

Sounds like an extreme example ?

Well, you would not beleive the amount of people posting about mysterious patches of gravel, that lead to a high or low side

The VERY best thing you can do, is get some track TRAINING, understand how the bike reacts to your newbie inputs and how to counter your instincts with the correct input.

If you are wondering what the correct response to the above situation is, its to actually stay on the throttle, and get the bike up-right, which is totally alien, and extremely hard to train your brain to do. Even after my 30+ years on motorcycles, my reaction is to back-off.

(I managed to high-side myself off an EX500 a couple of years ago in a similar situation)

My only other advice is to NEVER bow to peer pressure, if you do not feel comfortable in a situation, get the hell out of it. Group rides are notoriously hard for new riders, and because you may have the badest bike on the planet you are under a lot of pressure to prove that you can actually handle it. This is an extreme danger point. Youngsters tend to not think of the safest when testosterone and pressure from hard riders tap them on to a risky race.

Never be tempted to race a guy on a 600 through the twisties either. You are at a disadvantage (weight and power/finesse) the only place you are going to win is in a straight line

Finally, (at last I hear you say). Understand that the biking community is huge, and extremely varied, many sportsbike riders consider that there is a passage of rites that leads you to the best bikes, and by side-stepping that, you have (or will) miss out on many things, and many people (like me) will spend a lot of time telling you that you really need to invest in your skills PRIOR to attempting to run with the big boys.

I hope that you do not take this as totally negative, but seriously you probably do not have enough experience to handle your choice of bike, the fastest way to gain that experience is to get out there and ride the wheels off of a slower machine. But, if you are gentle, carefull, and AWAY FROM PUBLIC ROADS (ie the track) AS THEY SHOW NO MERCY AND KILL MANY OF YOU GUYS you can fastrack your learning a great deal on almost any machine. Can I also suggest that you consider hitting a dirt bike ? You learn a lot about riding crossed up, with little or no grip, and also about observation. If you lay it down, who cares. Pick it up and ride'er again. Then you will master the techniques. I learned on a dirt bike and have pretty good skills(in my opinion).

If you choose to gt the 929 be sure to let me know your address so I can send your mother and family flowers for you. Next Sign the Will I have provided for you..........

To Yamaha R_6: Written for this fine person he was at one time. Many people loved him and he had a "thing" for motorcycles that no one person could understand in his surroundings. He wanted this 929 but didn't know when to open his eyes and see limits and to be reasonable when purchasing an experienced riders bike. It is unfortunate that he didn't make it for the rest of the world to see what he had learned in his YEARS of practice on other bikes and moving on when he honestly felt that it was time to simply move around then helpful hurdiles and take on the big jump of the bike world. Mr. Yamaha r6 will hand over all his worldly posessions to mr. Biker boy. The bike no matter what condition wil be turned over as well. All the money the insurance was thinking of paying him thinking that it wasn't his fault and find out it was his fault will be Mr. Biker Boy as well. Everything his is as it states and mr. biker boy will get all the property as stated. His family will miss his loss as well as the biker community.

RIP our young friend and thanks for making our insurance premiums go up once more.....

Good luck in your ventures of the after life and be sure to spread your inexperience to others who wish to jump hurdles and believe they can take the crazed animal w/out experience......
Signed x_____________________-

signedx __bikerboy______________

Good luck with your decisions young fellow...............
Old 09-07-2003, 12:58 AM

racerx75 is an unknown quantity at this point
biker boy's advise may haved seemed a little harsh, but i totally agree with him. there are too many inexperienced riders going out and purchasing bikes that are way out of there league (ie: liter bikes, and a lot of the 600's) and then rapping themselves, or worse yet other people around telephone poles.

I in no way think that i am the best rider out there. Even though i have only had a street bike for about 4 months, i have been riding and racing motocross bikes for over ten years, and thus i feel confident in the fact that i know the basics, and how to control my machine in potentially hazardous situations.

and remember, its easy to go from 0 to Hero, it takes knowledge and skill to go from Hero to 0 again.

don't buy a 929 for your first bike, even if all the cool kids have them. start off on something like an EX500. learn how to ride then sell it and get something bigger. work your way slowly, its easier than crashing down quickly
Old 09-07-2003, 01:45 AM

I had an ex 500 and they are great learner bikes. You may be really lucky being that you have the money to buy such a bike. When I was younger I couldn't afford it and had to settle for less which may have saved me to this very day. My parents told me something which had affected my life and what I could get. The said" We aren't going to fund your death. If you want it then you get it yourself" So I worked at burger king in 8th grade summer for about a year to in the process bought my first bike that shifted gears and was a street bike. I had ridden dirt bikes for years before that and can say they teach you the basics very well and if you spill it oh well pick it up and usually is no damage. And you keep learning. My first bike I got for the road was a 1971 Honda CB 500. Yeah my friends had better new age bikes but they all wrecked them in no time and I was still puttin' around. I will say that I downed the ol' 71 honda a few times, and laid the ex 500 down 3-4 times. When I got the ex 500 is was more than powerful enough and was a major jump from the 71 cb 550. It kept me happy for a while then moved up. I say save your extra cash and ride a smaller bike or even better a dirt bike and get used to it. Then buy another bike when your skills are honed to a finer degree. And not a huge jump in my opinion. Just b/c of my parents I after all those wrecks as a youngster I haven't had any spills in over 7 yrs (knock on wood!!!!!) ....Although, I may lay her down while learning this stuntin'. But the key is I have the keen knowledge of what could and would happen if I did something that could be detrimental. I know not to over do the limits, you have not even the slightlest clue of what limits are.
So, my good newbie, it is good that you came to ask. Many don't and unfortunately are no longer with us. So, take heed of what we tell you. We know all to well. Ask some of the folks here including myself how many people they know or have heard of someone they met, aquantances, not walking to this day due to paralisis or worse. We have been there, done that, and are doing it......

Be careful. The choice is ultimatley yours.

LATER
Old 09-07-2003, 01:55 AM

ENASNI TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
Your posts are always so looooonnnnnnnng
Old 09-07-2003, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by ENASNI900RR
Your posts are always so looooonnnnnnnng

Da**!!! You made me choke on this hamburger helper. They are long, among other things , and I find it hard as all hell to try and sum up all my info in a little bitty phrase or something like it. You know? I feel if some of the things I post were brief and vague the point would not get across what I am trying to say man.....Also I might add that..........Ohhhhh nooooooooo......The fingers are still goinnnnnggg. MMMuuuuuusssssst sstttopppp mmmmyyy ffffffinnggeerrrrrrssss........
Old 09-07-2003, 06:09 AM

rcprincesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by bikerboy
Da**!!! You made me choke on this hamburger helper. They are long, among other things , and I find it hard as all hell to try and sum up all my info in a little bitty phrase or something like it. You know? I feel if some of the things I post were brief and vague the point would not get across what I am trying to say man.....Also I might add that..........Ohhhhh nooooooooo......The fingers are still goinnnnnggg. MMMuuuuuusssssst sstttopppp mmmmyyy ffffffinnggeerrrrrrssss........

You're choking on hamburger helper? Damn boy, you're always eating! You do write long *** posts though. I guess no one has ever referred to you as a man of few words huh? LOL! "Also I might add that..........Ohhhhh nooooooooo......The fingers are still goinnnnnggg. MMMuuuuuusssssst sstttopppp mmmmyyy ffffffinnggeerrrrrrssss........" <---- ROTFLMAO!!!!
Old 09-07-2003, 07:33 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

ryanaka99cents is an unknown quantity at this point
i owned a ex500 for 2 years b4 i bot my 99 dbl-R that i've had for 4 years. wrecked the ex500 twice, never wrecked the dbl-R, but it fell over in the garage. learned a lot on the ex500 and wished i still had it that way i could it.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:38 PM

Hondafan is an unknown quantity at this point
the problem is that nobody takes this seriously....

no one realizes that as you as you get on that bike, you are flirting with death...

its always,,,, well im different,,,,, i will be able to control it....

im on my third bike been riding for almost 4 years.... and im about to get another 600...

for gods sakes man.,... get a damn older f2 or f3!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:31 PM

its not like ive never rode a motorcycle before, i've rode dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, minibikes, YSR's, lol i guess i should of put that in my post huh? LOL
Old 09-07-2003, 03:21 PM

clumbsybiker is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that rather its a liter bike or a yamaha enduro 200, if your on it, its dangerous. Bikes anymore are just as dangerous from the riders as the people around them. You have as good a chance of getting hurt on a gixxer 1000 as you do on a fiddy. It all depends on how your respect the bike. Hell yeah a less powerful bike will be more forgiving than a liter bike. And therefor, the obvious better choice, but, if you are a carful rider and you respect the bike and all its power, then I dont think the size of the bike really matters. Now, Im not saying go out and buy a 929RR, Im just saying that even if you ride careful and within your limits on any bike, its still a bike, and vulnerable to friggen cage drivers and crap in the roads. So get what you know you can handle, not what you want. Remember that there is a world of things out to get you whenever you just ride down the street. A more powerful, difficult bike is one more thing you gotta think about, when your tail starts to slide, headin through that hairpin.....................
Old 09-08-2003, 08:49 PM

wangsta6 is a decent person
first

my first street bike is my 01 r6 but i had a kx 125 for two years and i did race it...i have also riden them 50cc two stroke thiggys before...there fun

i would go with the 600 at the least or maybe something older/smaller
Old 09-09-2003, 03:15 PM

thanks guys, i'm gettin the F4i