bikes acting funny! wont hold charge!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 07:29 PM

clumbsybiker is an unknown quantity at this point
bikes acting funny! wont hold charge!!

I have a 99 cbr600f4 and its been acting funny the last couple of days. About two days ago, i noticed it was cranking a little harder like the batt was getting weak. When I got to a friends house, I came back out and it was too dead to crank at all. It tried for abuot three seconds and then went to that clicking dead batt noise. I noticed that the battery cells were all dry and so i filled them and run started it. I let it idle for a while then rode it to another friends house. after letting it sit there for over an hour, it cranked just fine. In fact, it cranked just fine all the rest of that day. I didnt ride it yesterday at all and when I went to ride just now, it was TOTALY dead! not even enough power to light up a dash light. It didnt want to run start and when it finally did, it was idling real funny for the first few seconds. I have never had probs with this bike before. Is this most likley just a dead batt? Cause it took a VERY long time and a lot of tries to get it to run start!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:18 PM

GSE CHRIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: bikes acting funny! wont hold charge!!

Originally posted by clumbsybiker
I have a 99 cbr600f4 and its been acting funny the last couple of days. About two days ago, i noticed it was cranking a little harder like the batt was getting weak. When I got to a friends house, I came back out and it was too dead to crank at all. It tried for abuot three seconds and then went to that clicking dead batt noise. I noticed that the battery cells were all dry and so i filled them and run started it. I let it idle for a while then rode it to another friends house. after letting it sit there for over an hour, it cranked just fine. In fact, it cranked just fine all the rest of that day. I didnt ride it yesterday at all and when I went to ride just now, it was TOTALY dead! not even enough power to light up a dash light. It didnt want to run start and when it finally did, it was idling real funny for the first few seconds. I have never had probs with this bike before. Is this most likley just a dead batt? Cause it took a VERY long time and a lot of tries to get it to run start!
buy a new battery .
Old 07-30-2003, 10:58 PM

dingo is an unknown quantity at this point
even better than that, buy a battery, since the factory one is 4 years old, then, hook it up, and get a voltmeter, put the leads on the battery, start the bike, rev it up to about 3000-4000 rpm, the voltmeter should be showing at least 13.5 volts, but no more than 13.9-14 volts. if its more or less, you've got charging system problems
Old 07-31-2003, 04:09 AM

thanx guys!
Old 07-31-2003, 09:34 AM

Diviniti is an unknown quantity at this point
another note: batterys dont charge untill over 3k RPM..
Old 08-01-2003, 01:12 AM

3k? dang! I did not no that! I will try it though!

thanx!