04 gsxr600 charging issues please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 PM

hondacrf150f1 is a decent person
04 gsxr600 charging issues please help!

i bought a 04 gsxr600 and i thought the battery was shot. battery read passed on a snap-on battery tester. I can charge it up to 12.8-13V and run the bike for 45 minites to an hour before it starts to die. wont rev past 7K RPM and dies at idle. The bike is draining the battery.

Got 12.1-12.2V being sent to the battery at idle, and 12.4V at 3-4K RPM. it should be 13-15V. so from here i know i have a bad stator or regulator rectifier. Any input?

Ive read about testing the stator but its really hard for me, i dont understand this electrical stuff at all!

So i tried disconnecting the rectifier and testing voltage coming straight from the stator, by putting my positive lead on each of the 3 wires on the connector. (with bike running at idle) I got 0 on one wire. the other 2 wires started at 40V and climed all the way to 300Volts!!! and kept climing, wtf? it should be around 65V coming from the stator correct?

any help guys! thanks!

Last edited by hondacrf150f1; 11-19-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM
StuntRides

1wheel-wonder is a decent person
Re: 04 gsxr600 charging issues please help!

My understanding, going through this many times on my 05 GSXR 600 (same as 04 GSXR)and many more times on my 06 GSXR 750 is that it is much easier to test your stator then regulator, as long as your wiring is intact there are only three components to the charging system on the GSXR and most sportbikes. 1. Battery 2. Stator 3. Regulator/Rectifier. so if you test your battery and your stator and they come back good chances are very good that the regulator is bad. How I always tested my stator was using the voltage meter on AC volts. That stands for alternating current which is what your bike produces from the stator, the regulator/rectifer transfers that current to dc voltage which your bike then can use. take the negative(black) and positive (red) terminals of your electrical tester and alternate testing through the three terminals on the plug from the stator. So say you call terminals on plug A, B, & C. Test A to B, A to C and B to C. Usually you want to test these at 5,000rpm but you can also check them at idle but you should be in the range of 65-80 or higher AC Volts at 5,000 rpm. if one fails to show voltage or not high enough voltage then your stator is bad. In all my cases of having bad stators, either there was no voltage off of one wire, or the voltage was extremely low compared to the other two wires.
Hope this was helpful.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 AM

loko is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the three wires coming off the stator. Set your multimeter up to check for continuity. On some meters this will be the setting that will ring if you touch the leads together. With the bike off, ground one lead to metal and touch the other lead to each of the three wires. if the meter rings on either of the three wires the stator is bad.

Also there should be a way to check the ohms of the stator but you would have to find the sepcs from the manual to do that check. Really not important cause if they fail short to ground they will usually fail for ohms also. So if you cant find a manual don't worry about it.

Crank the bike up, switch the meter to AC!
At 5,000rpm you should get around 60V AC current. Ground black lead to case and should get 60V AC on all three wires across the connector!

Now find the plug for the rectifier.
there will be six leads in the plug going into the unit.
Switch the meter back to check for continuity (the ringing setting).
Touch both leads (red lead on top, black lead on bottom) across all six connector wires. Then flip the leads and repeat. It should ring one way and not the other! Red on top black on bottom will ring. Black on top red on bottom will not ring.
The rectifier diodes should only pass current in one direction!

As far as the battery go's 12.66v DC is hot, but you also should check it for CC's With either a meter or take it in to someone with one. But it sounds like your battery is good.
It sounds more complicated then it really is to check!
As long as you can get a hold of a multimeter you should have no problem!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by loko; 11-22-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 AM

hondacrf150f1 is a decent person

ok i did the test again, and only got 25V at idle on 2 of the wires, 0 on another

and at 5k rpm i only got 58V on 1 wire, 15V on one, and 25V on another. so this means i need a new stator?

i got the results but somehow i still have trouble trusting i did the test right lol