3.83%
premium
75.96%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Grade Type of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Grade Type of Gas

Originally Posted by Towlieee
running any higher octane then your bike is designed for, just makes you LOSE power, and spend more money!

F4i's I know are designed to take 86 octane.. So I put in 87 from the pump.

Although there are bikes that require 89, and some require 91..

REMEMBER, RUNNING HIGHER OCTANE THEN WHAT IS REQUIRED, DOES NOTHING EXCEPT MAKE YOU LOSE POWER, AND SPEND MORE MONEY!

I always laugh at people around here that put 92 in their f4i's, and tell me how much more power it produces

edit: I'd like to tune my bike to run on E85 just to be different lol..
After riding in my friends eclipse pushing 24psi on E85, it just seemed so sweet to fill up for $1 less a gallon!
E85 gets shitty milage because it contains less chemical energy per gallon.
Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
Sorry bud, you are not completely correct. I agree that everything is designed for a certain type of fuel, but putting in race fuel in a bike like mine DOES make a difference and I DO NOT lose power.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...uel/index.html

The compression ratio on a 600RR (04) is 12:1, that is more than enough compression to run a "race fuel" with higher octane b/c my bike will be able to adjust the timing curve to compensate for pre-detonation, as well as increase engine efficiency across a higher RPM range. It is recommended you use "race fuel" when the compression ratio is greater than 11:1 and if you are running at a consistent 6000+ RPM's. I don't know about you, but even when I'm cruising on my street bike I'm still around 5k on the tach, and I don't ride my street bike like a sally... I get after it, OFTEN! Let me also remind you, when you pay for race fuel... it's not all about the compression and octane, you are getting top of the line fuel so there is less of a chance to get sediment and other deposits. Also, higher octane burns hotter which adversely can lead to fouled plugs but can also burn off deposits on your valves.

You're a smart guy, but you are completely wrong when you say "You will LOSE power". There is a reason why drag cars, race bikes, stock cars, etc use race fuel... they DON'T LOSE POWER from it. If you don't tune your application properly, or put race fuel into a vehicle that does not meet the criteria needed for race fuel then YES, you WILL LOSE power.
Higher octane fuels burn slower. Run the lowest octane you can without detonation.

On a side note I didn't know that 600RR's had knock sensors.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Higher compression "race" head??

What "race" head is this? lol

If its a TB kit, just run 87, you'll be gravy! lol

If its that takegawaya **** or somthing, then IDK what to run

edit: I've been wanting to have my friend tune my car to run on E-85 lol.. But he lives 150 miles away, so I gotta wait tell I drive to see him for that

He runs his Eclipse GST with 24psi on E-85, its sick watching him fill up for $3 a gallon then go spool up 400+hp on the 105 octane ethanol
.....and getting 15MPG......
Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NINER
.....and getting 15MPG......

Yes you must burn more fuel, I believe around 20% more.. But the fuel is around 30% cheaper.. So you still save money..

Not to mention, its around 105 octane, so its great for high boost vehicles..

105 octane 'face fuel' for 5-10% cheaper then 87 octane in the long run
Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person

Im on my 3rd tank of 87 now and the F4i Is still running strong.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:32 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Standupnfall
Im on my 3rd tank of 87 now and the F4i Is still running strong.
I filled mine with 91 the other day juts for ***** and giggles (been on 87 for 2 years now)

felt exactly the same to me
Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 PM

apfire26 will become famous soon enough

When I buoght my 07 zx6 there was a big sticker on it that said only use premium gas, otherwise catastrophic engine damage may occur.

I always put premium in mine.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Lacks self-control

C6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud of

Dont be a *****.. give your bike the most expensive fuel.. run diesel...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

highest gas grade in cali at the pumps is 91..
i use premium for the niner though.. why not

i never use cheap gas for any bike that i had.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 PM

crashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura about

I through the cheap crap in. my power commander does the rest.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:02 AM
cereal killa

poni can only hope to improve

i read somewhere earlier that premium has a more controlled burn and regular gas has a more uncontrolled burn. that is absolutely correct and this is why ya need to run high octane to get rid of knock or ping in the high compression ratio engines. it's all about the octane rating and it's ability to resisit knock or ping. if you got predetonation...that's bad, change your fuel quality or use a octane enhancer
Old 08-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Lacks self-control

C6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by crashtest 750
I through the cheap crap in. my power commander does the rest.
so power commanders have knock sensors now?

if your bike runs ok on 87 with a P/c.. then it would run ok without it... thats not what powercomanders do... unless you got the additional ignition module.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
cereal killa

Originally Posted by Taz
so power commanders have knock sensors now?

if your bike runs ok on 87 with a P/c.. then it would run ok without it... thats not what powercomanders do... unless you got the additional ignition module.
PC's just work out better fuel air ratios regardless of fuel consumption...it's about increase in power not mileage! so fill it up if you got one, my buddy does and it's a guzzler....if ur bike is FI ride then knock sensors will retard your ignition timing 3degrees for every signal the sensor produces. (peiziolectric sensor, ie-creates a voltage when disturbed by knock/pre-detonation) so if you run cheap gas, and it knocks or pings, ur loosing power cause the ECU will cut ur ignition back until the knock/ping is gone....do the math...use high test and get the most out of ur ride...
Old 08-07-2008, 11:37 AM

bj_lucky is an unknown quantity at this point

I filled mine with 91 the other day juts for ***** and giggles (been on 87 for 2 years now)

felt exactly the same to me
i read this thread right before a long road trip last weekend and decided to give the 87 a try. i thought there is no way it will be the same. but i didnt notice a difference at all. i wouldnt say it pulls better or worse (havent tried the lot with it yet tho) but the extra dollars in the wallet makes me feel better.

however i thought i saw a sticker in the tail section that said 91 oct recommended but i could be wrong

this weekend running mine and the ladies bike like 1500 km. guess what ill be using.

good info guys.....
Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
cereal killa

[quote=______;3338360]I was never told what to put in my bikes but always went with sunoco 94 or 93.... few months ago I saw the truck fill the station so I asked him whats going in... he said high test... so I filled up with 89

******* rights dude...never fill after the truck is or just was filling the in-ground tanks...all the silt and sediment gets stirred up and ends up in your engine..sticky-icky...

also pretty soon bike manufacturers will be dictating you put nothing but the highest octane in ur tank....the RangeRovers are the same, put in the cheap stuff and you get engine lights on and missfires! it sucks. you want your baby running it's best right?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by bj_lucky
i read this thread right before a long road trip last weekend and decided to give the 87 a try. i thought there is no way it will be the same. but i didnt notice a difference at all. i wouldnt say it pulls better or worse (havent tried the lot with it yet tho) but the extra dollars in the wallet makes me feel better.

however i thought i saw a sticker in the tail section that said 91 oct recommended but i could be wrong

this weekend running mine and the ladies bike like 1500 km. guess what ill be using.

good info guys.....

I know I've seen many bikes, that say "91 min octane" right on the tank, or tail..

But I know on f4i's specifically, honda says 86 octane :YEAH

But I believe 600rr's, call for 91.. And if you run less, it retards the timing
Old 08-15-2008, 10:57 PM

CBR_929_kid is a decent person

I have a mazda RX-7 I dont know what the octane lvl is rated for but when i put premium instead of reg. i can feel the power diffrence expecally when i put premium in and it will put itself sideways goin into second.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 AM
www.Xtreme-Stunts.com

Xtreme-Stunts is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with premium. Our bikes have pretty high compression ratios and you don't want any early detonation. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Gg no Re K ThX

Blitzburgh is a decent person

i was under the impression that runing the higher octane was what is best for the motor in almost all cases. except on a jet ski.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by HellzRook
i was under the impression that runing the higher octane was what is best for the motor in almost all cases. except on a jet ski.
Running whatever octane the motor is designed for is best for performance..

Running a higher octane then what your motor is designed for, will make your stuff run cooler, but also reduce power..
Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 PM

watchthis is a decent person

91 from shell

Quick Reply: Grade Type of Gas