premium
75.96%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Grade Type of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 AM

SuicideMyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Grade Type of Gas

what type of gas you use when you fill up your bike ?

I noticed my bike runs better on the plus and premium, I always used regular before and the gas station I was at last week was out of reg so I used the plus...

also I notice that Shell and Chevron seem to be the better gas and doesn't burn up as fast
Old 05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Grade Type of Gas

I normally use regular. Every now and then i put premium in it just to see if it makes a difference. I cant notice anything.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:21 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Always premium here, and about every 10 tanks I put race fuel through it. :YEAH
Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

running any higher octane then your bike is designed for, just makes you LOSE power, and spend more money!

F4i's I know are designed to take 86 octane.. So I put in 87 from the pump.

Although there are bikes that require 89, and some require 91..

REMEMBER, RUNNING HIGHER OCTANE THEN WHAT IS REQUIRED, DOES NOTHING EXCEPT MAKE YOU LOSE POWER, AND SPEND MORE MONEY!

I always laugh at people around here that put 92 in their f4i's, and tell me how much more power it produces

edit: I'd like to tune my bike to run on E85 just to be different lol..
After riding in my friends eclipse pushing 24psi on E85, it just seemed so sweet to fill up for $1 less a gallon!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 AM
N/A

Originally Posted by Towlieee
running any higher octane then your bike is designed for, just makes you LOSE power, and spend more money!

F4i's I know are designed to take 86 octane.. So I put in 87 from the pump.

Although there are bikes that require 89, and some require 91..

REMEMBER, RUNNING HIGHER OCTANE THEN WHAT IS REQUIRED, DOES NOTHING EXCEPT MAKE YOU LOSE POWER, AND SPEND MORE MONEY!

I always laugh at people around here that put 92 in their f4i's, and tell me how much more power it produces

edit: I'd like to tune my bike to run on E85 just to be different lol..
After riding in my friends eclipse pushing 24psi on E85, it just seemed so sweet to fill up for $1 less a gallon!
Sorry bud, you are not completely correct. I agree that everything is designed for a certain type of fuel, but putting in race fuel in a bike like mine DOES make a difference and I DO NOT lose power.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...uel/index.html

The compression ratio on a 600RR (04) is 12:1, that is more than enough compression to run a "race fuel" with higher octane b/c my bike will be able to adjust the timing curve to compensate for pre-detonation, as well as increase engine efficiency across a higher RPM range. It is recommended you use "race fuel" when the compression ratio is greater than 11:1 and if you are running at a consistent 6000+ RPM's. I don't know about you, but even when I'm cruising on my street bike I'm still around 5k on the tach, and I don't ride my street bike like a sally... I get after it, OFTEN! Let me also remind you, when you pay for race fuel... it's not all about the compression and octane, you are getting top of the line fuel so there is less of a chance to get sediment and other deposits. Also, higher octane burns hotter which adversely can lead to fouled plugs but can also burn off deposits on your valves.

You're a smart guy, but you are completely wrong when you say "You will LOSE power". There is a reason why drag cars, race bikes, stock cars, etc use race fuel... they DON'T LOSE POWER from it. If you don't tune your application properly, or put race fuel into a vehicle that does not meet the criteria needed for race fuel then YES, you WILL LOSE power.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 AM

SuicideMyk is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel I havn't lost power by putting plus in there

I'll stick with the plus... it's fine for my bike and it runs smoother an lasts a extra couple miles then when I put reg
Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
Sorry bud, you are not completely correct. I agree that everything is designed for a certain type of fuel, but putting in race fuel in a bike like mine DOES make a difference and I DO NOT lose power.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...uel/index.html

The compression ratio on a 600RR (04) is 12:1, that is more than enough compression to run a "race fuel" with higher octane b/c my bike will be able to adjust the timing curve to compensate for pre-detonation, as well as increase engine efficiency across a higher RPM range. It is recommended you use "race fuel" when the compression ratio is greater than 11:1 and if you are running at a consistent 6000+ RPM's. I don't know about you, but even when I'm cruising on my street bike I'm still around 5k on the tach, and I don't ride my street bike like a sally... I get after it, OFTEN! Let me also remind you, when you pay for race fuel... it's not all about the compression and octane, you are getting top of the line fuel so there is less of a chance to get sediment and other deposits. Also, higher octane burns hotter which adversely can lead to fouled plugs but can also burn off deposits on your valves.

You're a smart guy, but you are completely wrong when you say "You will LOSE power". There is a reason why drag cars, race bikes, stock cars, etc use race fuel... they DON'T LOSE POWER from it. If you don't tune your application properly, or put race fuel into a vehicle that does not meet the criteria needed for race fuel then YES, you WILL LOSE power.

I never said anything about race fuel.

I said running a higher octane then your vehical is designed for, will make you spend more money, and lose power...

What exactly did I say that wasn't correct?

If it was designed for 91, then yes, 91 would give you more power.

The reason race vehicles run higher octane, is because like you said, they are tuned and built to run it.

My honda prelude, if I put anything more then 89 octane in it, will NOT gain power.. It will LOSE power... The fuel will not fully burn before the exhaust valve is back open.

Now, adding "RACE" fuel, thats oxygenated, or has additives, can increase power, yes.

But simply adding a higher octane then what is needed, wont help with anything.

Btw you even said you use premium.. You said nothing about race fuel..

Btw f4i's are designed to run on 86. Lowest pump octane around here 87.. SO thats what I run.

Running 91 or 92, would jsut be a waste of money.. I won't see a power increase, if anything, you would see a power loss.

Now I know it wont be enough to really notice.. But when I'm filling up and spending an extra 30 cents a gallon, I WOULD notice!

edit: And compression isn't the only thing that comes into play with what octane to run..
My car has LESS compression then my f4i, yet actually NEEDS a higher octane fuel to run properly (89 octane) because of the factory tune on it.
Whereas a f4i runs perfect on 87

Last edited by Towlieee; 05-20-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM
N/A

Always premium here, and about every 10 tanks I put race fuel through it. :YEAH
Sorry, I posted this and then you immediately posted after that, but you didn't quote me. I thought you were referring to my post.

I never said anything about race fuel.

I said running a higher octane then your vehical is designed for, will make you spend more money, and lose power...

What exactly did I say that wasn't correct?

If it was designed for 91, then yes, 91 would give you more power.

The reason race vehicles run higher octane, is because like you said, they are tuned and built to run it.

My honda prelude, if I put anything more then 89 octane in it, will NOT gain power.. It will LOSE power... The fuel will not fully burn before the exhaust valve is back open.

Now, adding "RACE" fuel, thats oxygenated, or has additives, can increase power, yes.

But simply adding a higher octane then what is needed, wont help with anything.

Btw you even said you use premium.. You said nothing about race fuel..

Btw f4i's are designed to run on 86. Lowest pump octane around here 87.. SO thats what I run.

Running 91 or 92, would jsut be a waste of money.. I won't see a power increase, if anything, you would see a power loss.

Now I know it wont be enough to really notice.. But when I'm filling up and spending an extra 30 cents a gallon, I WOULD notice!

edit: And compression isn't the only thing that comes into play with what octane to run..
My car has LESS compression then my f4i, yet actually NEEDS a higher octane fuel to run properly (89 octane) because of the factory tune on it.
Whereas a f4i runs perfect on 87
Ok, I thought you were talking about higher octanes as in anything above 91 octane. I was thinking race gas the entire time and you were thinking standard gasoline the entire time so that's where the mix up was.

I see what you are saying, and yes that makes sense. As I said before though, I run premium up here which is 91 octane here in CO. I think other states it's 93 octane, but every 10 tanks or so I like to run race fuel (100 octane-103 octane) through it so I can have some fun.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM

Sorry, I posted this and then you immediately posted after that, but you didn't quote me. I thought you were referring to my post.

Ok, I thought you were talking about higher octanes as in anything above 91 octane. I was thinking race gas the entire time and you were thinking standard gasoline the entire time so that's where the mix up was.

I see what you are saying, and yes that makes sense. As I said before though, I run premium up here which is 91 octane here in CO. I think other states it's 93 octane, but every 10 tanks or so I like to run race fuel (100 octane-103 octane) through it so I can have some fun.
oh nah, I know race fuel can be the ****, but im too cheap

I just know around here, EVERYONE raves about "BP's 92 octane!"

lol

I'm always the one that goes to the shithole in the wall gas station for 87 octane, and everyone else is like "I can't get gas here, I gotta go to BP for 92" lol
Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
N/A

I'll tell you what helps more than anything is re-syncing your TB's. I bought a valve sync tool and IT'S WORTH IT!!! My bike pulls so much harder, and I just bought a new Fast Idle Wax Unit for my F4i... my air/fuel ratio will actually be crisp for once!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:18 PM

I'll tell you what helps more than anything is re-syncing your TB's. I bought a valve sync tool and IT'S WORTH IT!!! My bike pulls so much harder, and I just bought a new Fast Idle Wax Unit for my F4i... my air/fuel ratio will actually be crisp for once!!!
I need to do that ****

especially on my motor, with 30k

Soon as I run across some extra cash to blow.. I need plugs, sync, valves adjusted, and I'm sure i'l find something else to do

I'm kicking my *** for selling my power commander now.. Now I have a friend that tunes cars, and I have access to a motorcycle dyno for $50 for 30 minutes
Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 PM
N/A

I need to do that ****

especially on my motor, with 30k

Soon as I run across some extra cash to blow.. I need plugs, sync, valves adjusted, and I'm sure i'l find something else to do

I'm kicking my *** for selling my power commander now.. Now I have a friend that tunes cars, and I have access to a motorcycle dyno for $50 for 30 minutes
That sucks man... I thought about getting PC for my stunt bike, but I can't justify spending the money. Besides, after doing all the basic maint. it should be fine. However, I really do want to do the valve adjustment badly... 1) so my bike runs better but 2) to have a chance to really dive into my motor and put in the correct shims.

The valve sync tool is worth it though, Tucker Rocky sells it for $90. You can make your money back soooo easy on it by doing it to other bikes.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:37 PM

timleg is a decent person

ive always noticed a difference in mpg with a higher octane, call me crazy.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM

vtrstunta is a decent person

i run regular (but i also live at a mile high so higher octane is even more worthless)... but i always run shell (recommended by the ducati factory) or chevron. other gas stations in my state have crappy gas. every once in a while ill run trick 101 tho
Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Lacks self-control

C6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud of

sunoco 94... but I have it tuned to need it..
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Lacks self-control

C6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud ofC6matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by timleg
ive always noticed a difference in mpg with a higher octane, call me crazy.
if the bike advances the timing to make more power without knocking then to maintain the same speed you will need less throttle input.. so you get better milage.. BUT it usually isn't enough of an improvment to justify the added cost of premium..
Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Josh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to behold

93 Always.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 AM

stunta600rr is an unknown quantity at this point

93 always....i think i can afford the extra 90 cents
Old 05-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by stunta600rr
93 always....i think i can afford the extra 90 cents
How often do you ride?

I run about $20-$30 through my bike a day.. I'l save the 90 cents a gallon!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 PM
N/A

I wish I could be riding, I haven't had time and I blew the living **** out of my fork seals on my street bike. UGH!!!

Quick Reply: Grade Type of Gas