Deisel vs. Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 AM

shortGSXR1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Deisel vs. Gas

Im think'n about gett'n rid of my hemi and buyn an older deisel. I was try'n to get some opinions on the what Ppl think about converting over since fuel prices are goin up like crazy.

My benefits of doing this are lowing my payment, insurance, and fuel mileage. Also for pulling my trailor
Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice
Re: Deisel vs. Gas

do it
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 AM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by skillz
do it
+1 i just watched the last weekends episode of xtreme 4x4 and they showcased a complete biodiesel system that you install on your truck (it looked pretty sweet). free fuel and possibly getting paid to take the fuel sounds like a win win to me.

http://www.greasecar.com/
Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

I love my diesel. Prices were cheaper than 87 all summer, but now it's more expensive. Unless you are getting a brand new diesel you will probably need to do some mods to get killer gas mileage. But like I said. I love my powerstroke and I love spending money on it lol.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

I want a twin turbo 250
Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 AM

shortGSXR1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scott3824
I love my diesel. Prices were cheaper than 87 all summer, but now it's more expensive. Unless you are getting a brand new diesel you will probably need to do some mods to get killer gas mileage. But like I said. I love my powerstroke and I love spending money on it lol.
scott, what up man? long time no talk.. lol i c you still got a job that allows you to post ***** on SL all day

im def try'n to get this diesel though, hit me up with some up grades for better fuel milage and some ball park prices maybe it will make my decision a lil easier.

P.s. you haven't dropped off and christ and hit you head lately have you? lol
Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 PM

sneed1rr is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a 05 cummins about 7 months ago and it gets about 24 mpg with the superchip and 4" straight pipe I will never buy a gas truck again.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Just curious if anyones diesel truck actually RUNS good and runs ALWAYS without constant maintenence?

I've only experienced 2 diesels on a daily basis (at my job) and BOTH Were peices of ****!

Ford power stroke, and a chevy duramax, WHAT ******* JUNK!

Both were newer (2003+) both needed a fuel filter EVERY MONTH or they would NOT RUN!

MANY days after work we would be sitting there, cranking on the engine FOREVER, and it just woudn't start.. End up getting home late because we gotta change the fuel filter, and use ether to get them started...

I dont get it though, SOON as we replaced the fuel filter, they started up instantly... Yet our bobcat and backhoe, always ran, around hte clock, 8-12 hours a day, and never needed the fuel filter replaced
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 PM

All I do is change the oil om my 05 and it runs great 67,000 miles on it. I had a 96 cummins for work with over 200k and never had to do anything to it but oil change and a front track bar
Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 PM

honey636 is a decent person

i have an 05 duramax, and i love her. i beat the livin **** outta that truck and it starts up every day like a champ. has instant glo-plugs too, so i dont have to plug it in. when it was stock i was gettin 18 mpg, so its great on fuel for the power it puts out. as of now, it has an adapted s300 turbo, aftermarket injectors, 3inch lift, 34 inch m/t's, cold air intake, and a straight pipe(soon to be stacks). my mpg dropped, but the hp and torque is DEF worth it. i went from pulling 19,000 lb trailer load to 26,000 like it was nothing. my old 454 sure couldnt do half that. IMO, diesel is the way to go. if you can get your hands on a early 90's dodge cummins 12 valve, that would be the most bang for your buck. those motors are soo easy to work on, and they turn out the most hp, stock. if you are going brand new(and have a LOT of money), the f-450 with the twins is a bad *** rig, but the 08 dmax is easier on your bank account.

this summer i am gonna try out the bio diesel brewing, hopefully that will help save a lot of money..ill post up how it goes when the time comes.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:20 PM

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Just curious if anyones diesel truck actually RUNS good and runs ALWAYS without constant maintenence?

I've only experienced 2 diesels on a daily basis (at my job) and BOTH Were peices of ****!

Ford power stroke, and a chevy duramax, WHAT ******* JUNK!

Both were newer (2003+) both needed a fuel filter EVERY MONTH or they would NOT RUN!

MANY days after work we would be sitting there, cranking on the engine FOREVER, and it just woudn't start.. End up getting home late because we gotta change the fuel filter, and use ether to get them started...

I dont get it though, SOON as we replaced the fuel filter, they started up instantly... Yet our bobcat and backhoe, always ran, around hte clock, 8-12 hours a day, and never needed the fuel filter replaced

Because people don't care about work trucks. Take care of it and it takes care of you. The only thing that has **** on me was my alternator (which I wanted to upgrade anyways) and my water pump gaskets were leaking so i replaced the whole thing just to be safe. Otherwise all my money was in aftermarket expenditures. I change the oil and filter regularly and plan to do the fuel filter once a year. If you get bad diesel then yes you will tear through filters. I am particular about where I fill up - I won't go anywhere that other trucks don't frequent because fresh diesel is a must - otherwise you get fungicide and gelling and other problems. I also use additive every fill up. It was 0 degrees here sunday and my truck fired up first crank.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by nags
I want a twin turbo 250
You mean the '08's with sequential turbo's???
Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by shortGSXR1000
scott, what up man? long time no talk.. lol i c you still got a job that allows you to post ***** on SL all day

im def try'n to get this diesel though, hit me up with some up grades for better fuel milage and some ball park prices maybe it will make my decision a lil easier.

P.s. you haven't dropped off and christ and hit you head lately have you? lol
Whats up bud, actually I got a new job and am not on as much, but I still pop in ...

Get a hold of me and I will tell you everything I have learned and experienced about my truck ....
Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by scott3824
You mean the '08's with sequential turbo's???
yea that too
Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Maintenance is key word here....

I've had a diesel since 01' and now have a new 07' 6.0. But one thing to expect is paying MORE for fuel and ALOT more for oil changes and filter changes. And your milage MIGHT go up, if you can keep your foot off the pedal.

An average oil change will jump to $50-100 depending on what type of oil you use (i use delvac1500 $8/gallon)... these engines take 15 QUARTS on a fill up. And the oil filter is $20.

Fuel filters are somethin like $60-$75 for a kit (newer models have 2 filters). Plan on a kit every 15k or yearly.

Last I filled up lowest price I could find up here was $3.59 a gallon. Which is CHEAP... as all last summer the price was average $3.70, up to $3.90 which has ALWAYS been at least 30cents above gas.

Air filters are pretty good and don't need changing too often but plan on spending about $100 for an OEM replacement.

I love my diesels, and would never go back to gas..... but just don't buy one thinkin your gonna save a whole lotta money Even once biodiesel becomes more available... that just means EVEN more filter changes.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by kj
Maintenance is key word here....

I've had a diesel since 01' and now have a new 07' 6.0. But one thing to expect is paying MORE for fuel and ALOT more for oil changes and filter changes. And your milage MIGHT go up, if you can keep your foot off the pedal.

An average oil change will jump to $50-100 depending on what type of oil you use (i use delvac1500 $8/gallon)... these engines take 15 QUARTS on a fill up. And the oil filter is $20.

Fuel filters are somethin like $60-$75 for a kit (newer models have 2 filters). Plan on a kit every 15k or yearly.

Last I filled up lowest price I could find up here was $3.59 a gallon. Which is CHEAP... as all last summer the price was average $3.70, up to $3.90 which has ALWAYS been at least 30cents above gas.

Air filters are pretty good and don't need changing too often but plan on spending about $100 for an OEM replacement.

I love my diesels, and would never go back to gas..... but just don't buy one thinkin your gonna save a whole lotta money Even once biodiesel becomes more available... that just means EVEN more filter changes.
I bought my truck from lithia dodge and paid $600 for lifetime oil changes, pretty good deal I thought.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 PM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a 99 F350 gas and got 9 miles a gallon with a 9 inch lift and 37 inch tires. had 125k miles and was startin to have all kinds of problems.

now i have a 04 F350 diesel with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires on 20's and get about 14-15 miles a gallon. only got 48k miles on it and its bone stock. but it has WAY more power. its not even broken in yet so hopefully the milage get a lil better.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sneed1rr
I bought my truck from lithia dodge and paid $600 for lifetime oil changes, pretty good deal I thought.
Looks real good at 1st glance... but I guarantee they got you to pay for it somewhere else in the deal!

The stealership NEVER gives you anything for free...
Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

i've driven my fair share of diesels.. theyre not that bad. except the noise
my fav diesel that i drove was one of the newer style MBZ's like an 04 E class with a diesel. it was pretty comfy and can hardly tell its a diesel by driving it.. the first time i hopped in a f250 that had a diesel i just turned the car on and it started but was hella shaky and sounded like ****
then i hear my boss screaming like WTF!!! you have to wait for the light on the dash to go off before u can start it. but diesel trucks with power seem pretty cool. our dent guy has a cummins dodge truck that ****** has 700+HP and lights em up down the whole street. but theyre pricey
Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kj
Looks real good at 1st glance... but I guarantee they got you to pay for it somewhere else in the deal!

The stealership NEVER gives you anything for free...
a cup of water

a lexus dealership close to us has free soda

but yea big dealerships are monsters

Quick Reply: Deisel vs. Gas