setting up a stunt lot LEGALLY

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:57 PM

gixxie750 is a decent person
setting up a stunt lot LEGALLY

My family owned a 14acre parking lot in the heart of cincy. I was wondering what legal actions i should take to open it up to paying riders. Also how would it work? I cant just let them all ride at the same time? How do lots like these run? Also how would i make it legal for the bikes with no vin(stunt bike) tto ride without police hassel? I know there is a legal waiver that everyone and guests should sign,but how can imake sure we dont get sued? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Brandon
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Nick StuntMetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: setting up a stunt lot LEGALLY

i would assume the waiver would keep u from getting sued...everyone that enters would have to sign it even if they are just watching.

to set it up you would just have to keep the squids on one side and the guys that have control on the other...or something like that.

the bike with no vins would just have to be trailered in...the cops shouldnt be able to do anything about that.

you would have to go to the city about it probably. there might not be anything they can say about it if your family owns it...but who knows.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 PM

I hope someone here has done it! I think it would be a great source of income for the lot. Also there is a bar there that people could to after its too dark. Also how do u know who is a rookie and who is a pro trying new stuff?lol
Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 AM

usually by just watching them ride...if they have brake control and not doing 100mph power wheelies.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gixxie750
I think it would be a great source of income for the lot.
I dont think it would be that great of an income unless you had other things going on. Insurance is going to be rather expensive, and stunters arent going to pay a whole lot of money anyway. I understand you can charge people to watch, but even then that wouldnt be enough to make money. You would need something else entertaining to bring people in...go carts, batting cages, and other things like that. Anyway thats just my . I would definately swing through and ride on my way home to Dayton though
Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

I have thought alot about this and wish I could make one here in KC, I have a location already picked out and was in the middle of drawing up 3 business plans to take to the bank and see what I could do... but once I really found out how much it would cost and talked to a few other people about it, I have since gotten discouraged. I was going to hopefully create a place that could possibly be a pitch to thomas for a potential future stop on XDL tour or something of that proportion as well as provide a service and safe riding environment for riders to grow along with the business.

This is a good idea though for you since you already have a large lot at ur disposal, and if I had the same opportunity as you do, I would do a handfull of things to make sure that succeeds.

the first of which is hiring a lawyer to sort out all the legal mumbo jumbo and get you a document drawn up for your "waiver" that is specific to your cause. Then I would be building a building to have concessions and bathrooms and place for the retail end of it to pick up the slack... cuz with the amount of liability insurance you are going to need to have in order to be protected if heaven forbid someone gets hurt bad aren't going to come with cheap premiums. Memberships and admittance fees are not going to pay for the bills to run it on thier own... you could eventually expand into lockers and showers and make it kinda like a gym too with differnt Teir memberships levels at varying prices... even eventually have a bike shop to make repairs and set up the people's bikes for them as they buy a new stunt specific part off ur shelf....

I would look at some off road ATV excursion, or skate park type places and then use them as a model maybe to get some ideas on how they run things.

As far as the saturation of people and sifting through the various skill levels is easy. make two different areas of the lot, one for stoppies coasters and squids, and the other for circ's and slow ****. Limit the amount of riders you allow on the tarmac at a time... make them like 30 min riding sessions and then you have to take at least a 30 min break depending upon the people already ahead of you... that way it keeps people from getting to worn out and possibly crashing harder or more often and getting hurt. And charge per day, or session if you want, but offer packages like a gym so that you can bring some of the local pro's on board to help draw fan/riders in. and then invest in grandstands and a good PA system and throw shows and or comps twice a year... to help advertise and get the word out about what you are doing...

and the most important things is to get in with the surrounding business owners and make sure that they are cool and like you.. and then talk to the local law enforcement and fire dept as well as ambulance crews so that the first time someone gets popped leaving your place blowing a joint that it doesn't make you automatically look like a haven for dopers and hooligans in the eyes of the people that can shut you down....
The media will love to exploit anything that goes wrong, and for the first few years you are going to be under such a big microscope that it may not even really be something that's worth it to you in the long run....

And put up signs everywhere that have rules clearly stated like: no fighting , no drugs or alchohol on the premises, no dogs,ect. (you don't want one running out in front of anyone wheelieing, or dog crap everywhere, and trust me I like to take my dog to the lot too, it just wouldn't work out in this type of atmosphere....) really, just any and everything short of makin it lame, but keeping still fun and usefull for those people really wanting to learn and practice someplace designated and legal. And then make them sign a conduct agreement along with the injury or liability waiver, that has all these rules listed so that if they breach it too much then you can toss em out and ban them and don't refund them anything for breaking the contract and being a turd.

I could go on and on really, but anymore and you are going to have to send me a check... hahahaha

good luck and welcome to stuntlife.. if anything, at least you got ur own place to practice and the cops can't mess with you at all since it's your own private property..... check your local laws, but you should be able to just block the entrances to make it a "closed" course and your'e good to go.

hope that helps ya a little bit. Fair warning tho, your'e gonna have to spend alot of money up front in order to do it right and make it work... and I'm talkin big money so when I say good luck, I mean it. there's a ton of risk involved IMO.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Compton82
I dont think it would be that great of an income unless you had other things going on. Insurance is going to be rather expensive, and stunters arent going to pay a whole lot of money anyway. I understand you can charge people to watch, but even then that wouldnt be enough to make money. You would need something else entertaining to bring people in...go carts, batting cages, and other things like that. Anyway thats just my . I would definately swing through and ride on my way home to Dayton though

let me know when your in Dayton with your bike and u can come ride with us.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 AM

kosi28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn sound like jstuntlocke has given this a lot of thought i would diffently o with his advice pm him im sure he could point you in the right direction .................GOOD ****!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 AM

I'm hopeing to curve cost by getting sponsers. I know a couple bike shops would love to put out their signs andadvertise. I also was thinking about contacting the news in advance and telling them what i want to do. I am thinking if we can get them on our side it would help massivly for our cause. Also i would think the police would WELCOME a lot so we can get these people off the streets. The lot is next to a huge bldg and there are food places already running so that would be conveniant. Also if i really wanted to there is a huge broken down bldge all by itself in the lot and with a little rebuilding it would be a badd *** shop! I really really want to start a bike shop anyway and all this would have to be part of it. I hope the city will be fine with it,but you never know.??????
Old 02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

The news will not give a **** about you unless they can play fear on what ur doin, or crucify you. ......doubt sponsors will come until you can prove you have got something to give back to them.

I'm not sure if your'e ready or not... ur family has a large lot.. that's all I'm hearing that's catching my attention. So how r u gonna grab the attention of people that you are going to be asking for money? By getting cooked at 6 and 10 from your local TV stations as they roll B footage of every squid rockin power wheelies down...(insert local highway name here)...... in traffic? especially without knowing what ur doin, just tellin them what ur "wanting" to do?? pfffft. yea, good luck.

And the cops are going to be waiting to shut you down most likely no matter what you do......Think about it, **** beyond your control like the first time someone gets in a fight with another rider over typical bullshit that goes down with riders, or gets busted with weed in ur lot, ur done...

Theyr'e going to welcome **** like that allright.. theyr'e gonna see a spot to wait and find all the people that ;ast weekend were ripping down the highway in a power whoolie and then dipped on them and ran.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:35 PM

Well i think its a good idea.Yes i will have to charge and would tell everyone to remove their plates. Hey i'm just trying to help the sport out! Yea i can go there and practice all i want,but it gets boring watching myself!