New here, New Bike, Help me Dial it in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 PM

sarNz is a decent person
New here, New Bike, Help me Dial it in!

Hi everyone, seems like some nice forums here.

Today I just got an 04 crf50, paid $700 for it and it was in the town right next to me. Here's a list of mods (I think I got a pretty good deal)

Fast 50's Billet throttle
Takegawa 88cc kit (guy said that alone was about 400, came with new carb, etc)
BBR Bars
BBR Seat
ishock
BBR rev box
FMF pipe
K&N Filter

Anyways, the bike runs strong. But right now, it bogs when you pin it, and it dies out pretty quickly if you let it idle. It was doing a lot better before I f'd with the idle screw, but have only spent about 10 minutes trying to adjust it so far.

I'm trying to think of things that may be causing the issue. Should I try cleaning out the carb? Does it maybe need new jets (maybe cus of the air filter?) Is it all in the tiny turns of the idle screw?

Anyways, here are a couple of crappy cell phone pics. Pic one was with this weird frame riser that the guy had on it, and then I took it off.

With frame riser:

without:
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM

tyler50stunter is a decent person
Re: New here, New Bike, Help me Dial it in!

sweet bike looks good get a rear handbrake and pegs for the back all at 50stunt.com and try turing the idle up a lil wehn sittin on it but not high just enough to wear idles good and let it warm up for 3mins b4 ride..
Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM

NHRR-RIDER is a decent person

yeah try turning the idle up a lil bit and let it warm up. if that doesnt work get some carb cleaner and spray that in your carb. it's probably just gummed up. and if it hasen't been started in a few weeks with this new shitty gas it just gums p the carb. but it looks like a good deal considering the ishock and 88kit cost more than you paid for the bike!! good luck with it.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM

yaa that was a good deal and throw a new spark plug in it too and just dont turn the idle up high and give it gas there and there let it warm up for like 5mins and the ride see wat it does let us nooo
Old 03-19-2009, 01:00 AM

sarNz is a decent person

thanks for the warm welcome everyone, since i planned on spending an extra $200 originally im gonna throw that extra money at some mods i'm thinkin. i definitely want a longer kickstand, and pegs and the handbrake would be a definite as well.

doh, i didnt even think about the gas. the guy said he hadn't started it in over a month either but it still started right up. ill throw some new stuff in there though. i'll try some carb cleaner too. can't wait!

i used to ride an 85xr250 but i sold it because it was too big and i have no one to ride trails with anymore. im gonna have to spend a while getting comfortable with the front wheel off the ground, but stunting seems so fun.

i also have a good backyard for riding, so i was thinking maybe get another set of wheels for dirt riding as well, are rims off ebay worth it or do you get what you pay for?

thanks again, i'll post results tomorrow, and maybe some more (good) pics if it's nice out
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 AM

XRshfifty is a decent person

welcome to the forum!

yeah get some more pix.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 AM

yeah if the gas is bad it should start up but it wont run long, and will eventually cut off because when you twist the throttle it sucks up gas and suck up all the nasty stuff in in the carb and clogs up the jet. try fluching all the gas out, clean the carb, throw a new plug in, throw new gas in, and you should be good to go.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM

J150 is a decent person

your pilot jet probaly clogged if its been sitting over a month thats the jet that helps with idle the smallest jet just clean carb atleast the float bowl and the pilot jet and ajust idle
Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM

sarNz is a decent person

Thanks guys, I cleaned the spark plug and put in new gas and it definitely helped a lot. I pulled off the carb, the float bowl was very clean, I should have just spent a couple of minutes to clean out the jets, but I've only done this once before, and really wanted to ride today, so I just put it back together.

The bike definitely runs better, but still has trouble idling. But next crappy day I think I will spend the time to do it right. (I go slow so I hopefully don't mess up). Once the bike is going though, it freakin moves! If you pin it at idle speed, it'll bog and die. But it runs strong, so I'll work on fixin' it when the time comes.

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, so I'll take some pics. I'm gonna order some new brake shoes, handbrake kit, maybe some pegs, and hopefully a kickstand. I'll probably end up getting them from 50stunt since they seem really solid.

As for my riding... I'm just practicing lifting the front wheel and trying to keep it lifted. It's definitely a little scary at first (but a LOT less scary than accidentally doing a wheelie on my old 250)
Old 03-19-2009, 04:13 PM

yaa npp and get sum of the pics and ya 50 stunt has reall good parts and worth every penny and deff get pegs haha but get used to getin the front wheel up first haha and aint bad
Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM

sarNz is a decent person

So I just discovered that there seem to be 2 screws on the side of the carb, one to adjust air and the other to adjust fuel maybe? I'm not sure. But I'm going to fiddle with them. I was only turning one of them before. I took out the jets and cleaned them thoroughly with a wire as well.

Also, for the Takegawa 88cc kit, running a K&N Filter, my jet sizes are: #92 main and #35 pilot. Is this a good size?

And bad news - I have a flat rear tire. I might have actually bought it like that, not sure, the rubber is so thick it doesn't even look totally flat. Is there some way that I could have pinched the tube while riding? Anyways, I couldn't even get that tire off. So I ordered 2 dirt tires (practicing in my backyard for a while) and I'm gonna have the shop put them on.

So, due to me not being able to do this, before I buy a handbrake / other things (they will come this summer) I want to get a new set of rims so I can have a set for dirt and a set for street. I see wheels on ebaymotors for $50, including the spokes and tires... are these absolute garbage?

Thanks guys, and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get the tire fixed, but either way I'll take some nice pics.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 PM

sarNz is a decent person

hmm, still tried fiddling with it and nothing. sometimes it will idle for like 10 seconds before it cuts out and dies. as it's cutting out i can usually save it with the throttle, maybe it's running lean?

even when the bike is hot, if you let it sit at idle speed, then crank the throttle, you get a gulping sound. but if the revs are higher and you crank it it's fine. it doesn't sound like bogging though, more like the gulp. is this the bike trying to get more air? or too much air? should i take off the K&N filter and replace it with the other foam padded one?

again, is a #92 main jet and a #35 pilot big enough for the 88 kit and filter?

also - is running 93 octane ok for this thing?

Last edited by sarNz; 03-19-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
CBB Stunterz

lilsaint is a decent person

grapo some 14mm bmx pegs, gring down both ends, and bolt the to the back!! why way a **** ton of money for 50stunt to machine you some pegs, when they are the same. if you wanted, you can even make your own handbrake. not to hard. but who needs a handbrake on a 50?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 AM
CBB Stunterz

lilsaint is a decent person

you should run atleast 93 or higher in and crf50 or xr50. i dirtbike type bike run high octane, i run 94 and mine is a stock 50 motor. higher the better it is for the bike!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 PM

sarNz is a decent person

well i cleaned out the carb again, this time sprayed everything with carb cleaner, and worked on adjusting the idle / air screws. it idles pretty good now! at least once its warmed up. when it's cold though it doesn't really wanna stay idling. There is still a little bit of bog when I pin it from an idle, but it doesn't cut out and die, just takes a second to catch up. Got my tire replaced and will get another dirt tire next week. Then I'm just gonna save up for another set of rims and get some street tires on there!

Time to clean it up and go take some nice pictures.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 PM

i just noticed that your from mass. well im fron NH and it is still too cold up here even for mine if i pin it rom idle itll bog down. and depends on what rims you get off ebay. but most shops wont put together wheels, or put on tires that are bought off ebay or just brought to them. 1st they will charge you a shitton! 2nd if your wreck and it is the tires fault they technically could be blamed, and with a spoke if they break a nipple or a spoke off an ebay wheel they most likely cant buy just 1. so if i was you id just save up a little more and buy through the shop and have them assemble the rim, balance and true it, and then put the tire on, then all you need to do is put the tire on and ride
Old 03-21-2009, 05:57 PM

sarNz is a decent person

i see. yeah i guess it will be a much better idea to not cheap out. i'll keep practicing and trying to find my balance point in my backyard first before i put some streets on. and yeah, it's still ******* cold here. i'm running the bike at a pretty high idle now, but once it gets warmer maybe i can bring it back down. it's running pretty good and i'm very happy, and with the 88kit all i gotta do is lean back and give it a little gas to get the front wheel up.

should i be practicing slow wheelies or fast ones first? sit down or standing up? i've been trying to do slow, in first gear, sitting down. still strange, but getting the hang of it.

anyways, here's some picssss, i'm no photographer though

^^^^ what is that thing?

Old 03-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I'M A REGISTERED USER !!

Crazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to beholdCrazy D is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sarNz

^^^^ what is that thing?
It's a breather that comes out of the top of the case and connects to the stock air filter housing (which you don't have) . You might see a little oil coming out of it . I wouldn't worry about it .
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM

i started off doing wheelies in 1st gear but they were pinned out then i went to second and 3rd just like that getting BP on all of them and RB. the i started doing slow stuff. IMO that worked for me, do whatever works best for you. bike looks nice, and that hose is just a breather like that guy said. keep it up and get some pics/vids of you riding!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM

sarNz is a decent person

sweet, good to know, thanks man. so my buddy loved my bike so much we went and he got an xr50, haha. all i gotta say though is WOW at the 88cc kit compared to the stock 50. His bike has a rear shock, sp-5 forks, and bars. All he wants are some new tires on it and it'll be good to go. This **** is funnnn