Video Editing software

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:49 PM

immortal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Video Editing software

Originally Posted by -Baker-
I like to give ya MAC users a hard time. You have a good background of computers. When somone shows me something about MACs that will impress me then I'll give some credit where credit is due.

What still gets me is why the MAC users are willing to waste money on something that you can get as good as a PC with a windows enviroment and save hella money.

I guess its like this...Corporations still buy Intel processors because they have faith in them and not willing to try something different. Also when they can save hella money and buy AMD which is better too. Thanks for the debate.

"You can steer a horse towards the water hole but you can't make him drink" Sounds like MAC users.
Ignorance is bliss!

It's all good! Gotta love a good debate!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:59 AM

hot magma is a decent person

Yes. XP pro OS, 3200+. ati 9600XT, 1 gig ram, 600 gigs of drives. MACs are like 3.1 windows back in the 80's. The funny thing is when MAC users go shopping for software they have to go to the corner of the store to locate the item needed and then again the location of the MAC products are in an area the size of a bedroom.....lol

My family in laws run MAC's. Not haten but its funny to me about MACs and its users.
The main difference between you and I is I can work on both platforms and make an honest and informed decision about what I think is a more user friendly and stable computer. You sound like the IT guys at a couple of the shops I have worked at "MAC is garbage because I'm too lazy to learn it" BTW that's a cute little DV edit system you have there, get back to me when you can handle HD. As for going to the corner of a store to locate software I need I'm to busy working to have time to install computer games on my cpu.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:23 PM

-Baker- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot magma
The main difference between you and I is I can work on both platforms and make an honest and informed decision about what I think is a more user friendly and stable computer. You sound like the IT guys at a couple of the shops I have worked at "MAC is garbage because I'm too lazy to learn it" BTW that's a cute little DV edit system you have there, get back to me when you can handle HD. As for going to the corner of a store to locate software I need I'm to busy working to have time to install computer games on my cpu.
Well your talking about your place of work that owns this type of hardware... (I have 30 mill worth of image sorters at work...does this count?)

Do you have any equipment that you own and use for HD and what camera?

I'm sure someone will make an encoder to provide an HD format. Keep in mind regular TV can be converted to HD so whats that tell ya about any other source that records video?

Final cut pro looks cool but the prices of both Final cut Pro and an HD camera does not float my boat. The technology needs to have more competition so the prices will be more affordable.

When I can make a DVD fully authored and get paid 100k with 7k invested at this low overhead cost and my profit is 93%...now who's really doing the right thing?
Old 05-14-2004, 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=-Baker-]Well your talking about your place of work that owns this type of hardware... (I have 30 mill worth of image sorters at work...does this count?)

Do you have any equipment that you own and use for HD and what camera?

I freelance for many broadcast and cable networks in NYC as well as a few post houses most of the work is still SD.
My company owns or leases the following HD components:
Sony HDW F900 w/multiple lenses
Digital Voodoo HD fury card
1 Sony SRW 5000 HD cam deck
1 Sony plasma HD monitor (1920x1080)
Final cut 4 HD
It's only about $200,000 worth of HD equipment but I get by.
and if you are getting 100k to author a dvd I'm moving to cali
as for converting or encoding 720x486(SD) to 1920 x 1080(true HD) I would lose a lot of clients if I try to pull that move off.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:34 PM

-Baker- is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to move to Cali....The Bay Area has all the Technology out here.

Yeah nice equipment but your average user / stunt rider could never afford this stuff. No one here is making movies they are videos to make some profit with this flooded market.

I can't wait until HD becomes the norm for TV, editing, filiming etc... I would be open to check out some cool editing using MAC's but its got to be along the lines of the average user not a Corporation with thousands of dollars invested. More along the lines of 10k or so would be suitable.

Keep an eye out for DV to be converted to HD by doubling its resoultion through software someone will make it. Plus it would be affordable too. Who knows what the future holds all I know is I want to be apart of it.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:31 PM

immortal1 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to move to Cali....The Bay Area has all the Technology out here.

Yeah nice equipment but your average user / stunt rider could never afford this stuff. No one here is making movies they are videos to make some profit with this flooded market.

I can't wait until HD becomes the norm for TV, editing, filiming etc... I would be open to check out some cool editing using MAC's but its got to be along the lines of the average user not a Corporation with thousands of dollars invested. More along the lines of 10k or so would be suitable.

Keep an eye out for DV to be converted to HD by doubling its resoultion through software someone will make it. Plus it would be affordable too. Who knows what the future holds all I know is I want to be apart of it.

Like I said before: "If your machine works for you and your tasks; then don't change a thing!" I think that is a good rule of thumb.

People over spend on **** they will never use and others spend money foolish in the wrong direction.

Hey any of the ol' geeks out there remember working on the best of the best machine at the time for post production in the 80's? Anyone remember the AMIGA equipped with the VIDEO TOASTER? Like UNIX (ie Current MAC OS) a true multi-tasking OS running a 33mhz CPU <--- that's right, 33mhz chip was powerful enough to be involved with the making of Terminator I and other movies of the day. The machines strength was in the fact that it ran multiple processors and an OS that could actually address all of them simultaneously. CENTERAL processor, AUDIO processor, GRAPHICS processor, MATH CO Processor, etc. etc. The motherboard was used in 80% of the standup video games that we as kids used to play. Kung-fu, Galaga, Dig-Dug, etc., etc. A farm of these machines could out crunch many of the PC of today running 1000 times the speed.

...I find it interesting that when you think you have come a long way you merely look back and see that sometimes it really isn't all that far.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:16 PM

I love mac thats why i'm such a defensive ***** about it. I was under the impression that there was not the much video/film work in the bay area. I got a friend in Los gatos been out there 3 times and that place kicks ***.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:55 PM

fuzz600 is an unknown quantity at this point

final cut pro! mac..
Old 05-15-2004, 05:16 PM

pureinsanity is an unknown quantity at this point

you need alot of ram if your going to be editing big videos, ive never encountered a problem for a 15 min video, sometimes its laggy but adobe profucts eat your ram up. Specially premier pro.

also have trouble when im running photoshop, illustrator and macromedia dreamweaver but im only running 384 ram
Old 05-15-2004, 05:18 PM

pureinsanity is an unknown quantity at this point

if i had the money id purchase a G5 and final cut just for editing.... ive seen some of the work final cut pro does, its great
Old 05-15-2004, 05:59 PM

Stunt Jester 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i used adobe first off, but when to vegas now. Vegas was hard to learn everything, but when you learn it really easy. Plus there dont off effects to use and make it easy to do. just my
Old 05-15-2004, 09:16 PM

Wheelie Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stunt Jester 1
Vegas was hard to learn everything
I hope your joking... I had adobe premier for like 3 months and couldent figure the damn thing out, had vegas for 5 minutes and have a short clip done....
Old 05-16-2004, 09:08 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

skitchR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been able to find Vegas Video anywhere, and I'm not paying 400 for a damn editing program, any suggestions on where I could find a copy???
Old 05-16-2004, 10:11 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

roadrash929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skitchR6
I haven't been able to find Vegas Video anywhere, and I'm not paying 400 for a damn editing program, any suggestions on where I could find a copy???
You can find it in YOUR *** timmy! Holla.. you can borrow my "legit" version.