Whats a good HD camcorder

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 AM

Soldier_89 is a decent person
Exclamation Whats a good HD camcorder

Hey wats up guys....im in the market for a nice HD camcorder for stunting.

Or is even getting HD worth it for HD youtube/ Vimeo videos???? cause thats the main purpose...although i have seen some nice HD vids on both!!!!!

Im very intersted in these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218049843959

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218046367671

Any other good ones u guys have....if so could u post me a vid off youtube or vimeo! thanks guys
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM

JohnR is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Whats a good HD camcorder

canon hv30 ....mad people are using it...cheap to
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Scott LaRoc

SCOTT T1 is a decent person

Originally Posted by JohnR
canon hv30 ....mad people are using it...cheap to
+1....got mine 4 600 new off ebay!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

I got the Sony HDR SR-12. It has 120gb internal hard drive and you can record up to 14.5 hours of HD footage with it. It also has a slot for a memory media stick. I added a 16gb card which holds another few hours of footage. Sick camera. Only drawback is nightime recording. It takes a minute to get focused and loses focus quickly. Here's a clip I put together with it.

http://www.vimeo.com/3652267

And another

http://www.vimeo.com/4309405

Last edited by OnEWhEeLNEAL; 05-14-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

And FYI - the quality with my camera and probably most cameras are a lot better than what you see on vimeo and youtube. when you upload to those sites you have to reduce the quality so the file size meets their guidelines which kinda sucks
Old 05-15-2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
And FYI - the quality with my camera and probably most cameras are a lot better than what you see on vimeo and youtube. when you upload to those sites you have to reduce the quality so the file size meets their guidelines which kinda sucks
that first clip is so good video quality no joke!!!!! but why is the 2nd all pixelated and a lil bit blurry? ya seems like better vids are on Vimeo then youtube tho? is that correct?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:54 AM

u guys got any vid of the Cannon HV30?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 AM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by Soldier_89
that first clip is so good video quality no joke!!!!! but why is the 2nd all pixelated and a lil bit blurry? ya seems like better vids are on Vimeo then youtube tho? is that correct?
its all in the settings when i exported it. im just learning how to use final cut pro and its not the easiest program to use so i exported it wrong and didnt feel like doing it all over again. the edited version on my mac before i exported it is crystal clear but i gotta figure out the best settings when it comes to exporting the ****
Old 05-15-2009, 02:03 AM
NealFoReal

Oh and yeah vimeo is 10x better than youtube - even when you upload to youtube in HD. Here's the same video on youtube - click the hd button and youll see what im talkin about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox_HVjwY-Wk
Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 AM
NealFoReal

And if you go to vimeo and type in Cannon HV30 it'll pull up peoples clips and test clips where they put Cannon HV30 as the title or as a tag Here's a link below.

http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:Cannon%20HV30
Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 AM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
And if you go to vimeo and type in Cannon HV30 it'll pull up peoples clips and test clips where they put Cannon HV30 as the title or as a tag Here's a link below.

http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:Cannon%20HV30
But keep in mind like I said above - a lot of the quality is also in your settings when you export the clips. Im sure most of the modern HD cameras all have gangsta quality but when you export them you gotta have your settings right to get the best possible clip while making sure you dont exceed the file size allowed by vimeo vimeo youtube youtube myspace myspace lol.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 AM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by Soldier_89
Hey wats up guys....im in the market for a nice HD camcorder for stunting.

Or is even getting HD worth it for HD youtube/ Vimeo videos???? cause thats the main purpose...although i have seen some nice HD vids on both!!!!!

Im very intersted in these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218049843959

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218046367671

Any other good ones u guys have....if so could u post me a vid off youtube or vimeo! thanks guys
I just looked at the links you posted up and the Sony is like mine in that it records in AVCHD format. That is a pain in the *** and not a lot of editing programs are compatible with that yet. Final Cut Pro is so if you have a mac and get FCP youre good to do. From what little I know of this format, this will be the direction things are heading but its just not there now so if I were you (I wish I did) I would get something that didnt use this compression method.

Some info on AVCHD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD
Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 AM

hahaha omg youtube sucks balz!!!!!! are the JVC Everio good? they have so many models im lost.....which is better mini dv or hdd?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:31 AM

im getting like a brand new 1300 dollar HP pc laptop soon too.......i dnt like macs.......do u kno if there is any other software that support Avchd for pc computers????? and something that doesnt cost like 1000 bucks for a software.

Last edited by Soldier_89; 05-15-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 AM

so u thnk i shuld just get the sony for an extra 50 bucks??????
Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 AM

Nascency Chris is a decent person

AVCHD will not edit on a laptop...period.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Spin 50 productions

Spin Master C is an unknown quantity at this point

canon vixia...something with a giant c mos sensor......do your research on the jvc..especially the ones with a hard drive..lots of automatic safety features that go into effect to protect the disk that become quite annoying..the thing will turn off even if you take to big of a step..look at these..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218065984222

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218065983946
Old 05-15-2009, 01:51 PM

trid is a decent person

I just got sony vegas 9 platinum edition. Works with the avchd and only cost like 100 for it. And don't buy a laptop for editing get a desktop with the most memory possible and get an external harddrive to store your vids otherwise your computer will run slow while editing
Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by trid
I just got sony vegas 9 platinum edition. Works with the avchd and only cost like 100 for it. And don't buy a laptop for editing get a desktop with the most memory possible and get an external harddrive to store your vids otherwise your computer will run slow while editing
ya will im getting a really top of the line HP laptop...i dnt want to get a desktop b.c. im getting this laptop bc im deploying to iraq soon...and i want to take it wit me for games and stuff
Old 05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Canon HV30

http://www.vimeo.com/1378288

Quick Reply: Whats a good HD camcorder