switched to active

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:58 AM

nyRocketkid is an unknown quantity at this point
switched to active

My step brother joined the Army reserves I think its called around a year ago mabey. I think he was only suposed to do 1 weekend a month and like 2 weeks a year. But he just found out they activated him and he's going to afganastan next year. I didn't know they could do that. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 AM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

FrankieG is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: switched to active

Originally Posted by nyRocketkid
My step brother joined the Army reserves I think its called around a year ago mabey. I think he was only suposed to do 1 weekend a month and like 2 weeks a year. But he just found out they activated him and he's going to afganastan next year. I didn't know they could do that. Anyone else have this happen?
Of course, when he signed upo for the reserves it's made very clear, he could be activated.....

all you can do is hope it doesn't happen but 2 years of being activated in afghanistan and other areas in 01 - 02 - 03 is real........i KNow! It's all part of the contract he signed...

It's not bad getting the hazard pay and the tax free status for the time you are there...good money there!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:21 PM

Misfit13 is a decent person
Re: switched to active

yea dude that one weekend a month **** is somethin recruiters emphasize to try to get you in. they are supposed to make it clear that you can be activated at any time, but most of them don't. to be completely honest i think there are more reservest and national gaurdsmen in iraq and afganistan than there are active duty. but like frankie said the pay is good and benifits are even better. He should be gettin extra educational money for bein on active duty. Be sure that he knows that though, i know my unit never told me, i had to find out from friends. i think its called 1607 benifits or somethin. also heres a piece of advice for you and your family while hes over there. if yall watch the news and hear about something that happens over there, don't jump to any conclusions before you talk to him. that countries bigger than the media makes it out to be and they tend to make an isolated incident seem like its happened to the whole country. tell him good luck for me and to go with god. he'll be home before you know it.