Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Stunting Help and Advice (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice)
-   -   Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice/72156-complete-guide-learning-basic.html)

FizZeRich 03-09-2005 08:02 PM

Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

yeah, read the above guide :laughing says good starting speed is 15mph

tha1nonly4evaz 03-12-2005 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=FizZeRich]yeah, read the above guide :laughing says good starting speed is 15mph[/QUOTE]
ill try that one too
i will probably try a couple of speeds.

akbikerboy 03-23-2005 06:22 PM

k, I pull in the clutch, rev up the engine, then drop the clutch.

does this mean I dump the clutch hard or let it out slowly?

FizZeRich 03-23-2005 06:28 PM

means controlled but quickly let out the clutch, dropping is for burnouts

03-29-2005 07:14 AM

Hey guys, good guide I've been lifting mine up in 1st and then changing gears because I couldn't get the hang of clutching it up.

One foot on the rear peg makes a world of difference, been out playing today and bouncing it up in 2nd no probs.

Thanks.

jackson 03-31-2005 01:23 PM

how many teeth do need to 12 my 636 the easiest?
where can i get sprockets in toronto?
please help i am ready to buy front and rear sprockets.

f4rider 03-31-2005 05:00 PM

The more extreme you go with gearing the "easier" it will be. However, that is relative because i'm sure the 636's are easy to wheelie with stock gearing.
For just learning 12's, gearing isn't needed. It is when you learn circles and other advanced stuff that gears are really helpful.
If you do buy a chain and sprocket kit, check out onoffroad. You buy the chain (i think 525 oring was $150) and the sprockets are free. Just tell them what size you want

1sik636 04-23-2005 09:19 PM

good read up.......

mojo1094 04-28-2005 05:54 AM

so, you know that feeling when you get a huge rush? got that tonite. was rolling through a wal*mart parking lot at 330am, and said, hey, try it.

rolled to 14-15 mph, pulled clutch in with only middle finger, gripped tank with legs, revved to 8k or so, let clutch go with middle finger and simotaniously giving it more gas, and whoop goes the front wheel, about 3-4 feet and right back down again.

i was terrified, aroused, and the adrenaline SURGED through me so much, so fast that i heated up, and fogged my windscreeen on my helmet. i had to get off the bike and sit down. holy crap. i mean, i drift in my car, so controlled chaos isn't something new, but that was a whole new rush.

I can powerup in first, it takes me goin' like 40, then close and quickly open the throttle again, but it shoots up, but clutching is wild. i'll do more not tomorrow, but maybe this weekend.

good lord, it was amazing. OH, and if anyone has tips, that's great. i love comments, but also, i tip the scales at 240 and i am on a 2k750.

f4rider 04-28-2005 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=mojo1094]so, you know that feeling when you get a huge rush? got that tonite. was rolling through a wal*mart parking lot at 330am, and said, hey, try it.

rolled to 14-15 mph, pulled clutch in with only middle finger, gripped tank with legs, revved to 8k or so, let clutch go with middle finger and simotaniously giving it more gas, and whoop goes the front wheel, about 3-4 feet and right back down again.

i was terrified, aroused, and the adrenaline SURGED through me so much, so fast that i heated up, and fogged my windscreeen on my helmet. i had to get off the bike and sit down. holy crap. i mean, i drift in my car, so controlled chaos isn't something new, but that was a whole new rush.

I can powerup in first, it takes me goin' like 40, then close and quickly open the throttle again, but it shoots up, but clutching is wild. i'll do more not tomorrow, but maybe this weekend.

good lord, it was amazing. OH, and if anyone has tips, that's great. i love comments, but also, i tip the scales at 240 and i am on a 2k750.[/QUOTE]

easy there cowboy.
of course it's going to be scary clutching it up 4 feet on the first try. take it slow; do baby wheelies and gradually increase the height. I won't be nearly as scary then

mojo1094 04-28-2005 04:00 PM

thing is, i tried smaller ones, but it just won't come up at a smaller rpm. rollin' along at 14mph, i tried at 6 and 7k, and the rpms just drop and the bike just jerks. am i doin' somethin' wrong? i wanna take it slow, i wanna take it easier, but out of the chap's that i ride with, i'm the only one that has gone this far. they can't power up wheelies, only one of them can clutch, and he just sold his 600 for an R1.

any advice beyond your tutorial? like, i've read a few beyond yours, and i'm just supposed to dump the clutch all at once, right? not come off it quickly, just drop that lever all at once, and keep twisting till it hits the balance point?

also, i'm trying these sitting down, would it be better standing?

roller6012 04-30-2005 01:53 PM

Hey man, great info. Just a quick note for everyone complaining about heavy bikes, etc. I ride a 85 honda shadow 1100, and i can ride it out through second. Not bragging, just saying if you practice, you can do it.

f4rider 04-30-2005 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=mojo1094]thing is, i tried smaller ones, but it just won't come up at a smaller rpm. rollin' along at 14mph, i tried at 6 and 7k, and the rpms just drop and the bike just jerks. am i doin' somethin' wrong? i wanna take it slow, i wanna take it easier, but out of the chap's that i ride with, i'm the only one that has gone this far. they can't power up wheelies, only one of them can clutch, and he just sold his 600 for an R1.

any advice beyond your tutorial? like, i've read a few beyond yours, and i'm just supposed to dump the clutch all at once, right? not come off it quickly, just drop that lever all at once, and keep twisting till it hits the balance point?

also, i'm trying these sitting down, would it be better standing?[/QUOTE]
I thought you said you read the tutorial :laughing
Yeah standing is less scary (can see where you're going) and easier to balance.
and don't "drop" the clutch, let it out quickly and smoothly

islandrider 05-01-2005 01:01 AM

great guide but i just want to get this straight before i go try it out, i have a GSXR 600 03, so i just roll at about 15mph in 1st, then pull in the clutch, and rev to about 8k-9k and let clutch out right.
How fast do i have to do that, can i just pull the clutch in and ready myself before i rev it to 8k-9k and then release the clutch or do i have to do it real quick.

f4rider 05-01-2005 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=islandrider]great guide but i just want to get this straight before i go try it out, i have a GSXR 600 03, so i just roll at about 15mph in 1st, then pull in the clutch, and rev to about 8k-9k and let clutch out right.
How fast do i have to do that, can i just pull the clutch in and ready myself before i rev it to 8k-9k and then release the clutch or do i have to do it real quick.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you can "ready yourself" after you pull in the clutch and before you rev up the enging; but don't rev it up to 8K the first time. Just rev the engine a little before you clutch your fist time to get the feel. Then add more throttle and rpms as you become confortable.

mojo1094 05-01-2005 02:34 PM

thanks much f4. i will be trying again soon. i hit a dead bird (fresh) while leaning hard around a corner. took a chunk outta my knee. ( i can see bone). so, yeah. it'll be a while before i try them again, but thanks much!!

while reading the article, i may have looked over where it said how to release the clutch. much appreciated.

islandrider 05-02-2005 10:43 PM

ok i went out today and practiced, rolled at 15mph and pulled in clutch and reved the engine, didnt know what rpm i was in, i was kinda going by sound. once i dropped the clutch the front end just popped up and it scared the crap outta me lol. so i kept doing it and now i can get the front end up pretty consistent, problem is, when i looked at myself on the tape, i was only getting about 2-2 1/2 feet off the ground but it feels like im gonna flip, i guess its a feeling i have to overcome.

i also tried this out, but tell me if this is wrong, once, i pulled the clutch in and reved the enging to about 7k rpm and held it there, then when i dropped the clutch i gave it more throttle, the front came up pretty fast as well.

all the other times i was just pulling in the clutch and dropin it after i gave it throttle.

i have some vids but dont know where to host it for anyone to see how im doing :mad:

Down Under Dave 05-05-2005 01:43 AM

Good stuff!.

Down Under Dave 05-05-2005 01:46 AM

Q. We got a guy over here that can bunny hop his 1200 bandit about 30ft at around 110kmh (60mph). Have you got any advice on how to do it.

spike_x4 05-05-2005 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=islandrider]ok i went out today and practiced, rolled at 15mph and pulled in clutch and reved the engine, didnt know what rpm i was in, i was kinda going by sound. once i dropped the clutch the front end just popped up and it scared the crap outta me lol. so i kept doing it and now i can get the front end up pretty consistent, problem is, when i looked at myself on the tape, i was only getting about 2-2 1/2 feet off the ground but it feels like im gonna flip, i guess its a feeling i have to overcome.

i also tried this out, but tell me if this is wrong, once, i pulled the clutch in and reved the enging to about 7k rpm and held it there, then when i dropped the clutch i gave it more throttle, the front came up pretty fast as well.

all the other times i was just pulling in the clutch and dropin it after i gave it throttle.

i have some vids but dont know where to host it for anyone to see how im doing :mad:[/QUOTE]

its just one of those feelings that you have to get used to, you're doing good buddy, keep it up! :YEAH