Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   Stunt Discussion (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion)
-   -   good or bad idea homemade dcb (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion/284867-good-bad-idea-homemade.html)

o4rudeboy 11-30-2010 05:41 PM

good or bad idea homemade dcb

i bought two rear calipher brackets for my gsxr i was planing on having them welded together to make a homemade dual caliper bracket for my hb my boy told me its a death trap they always break anyone have experience ?

808GSXR 11-30-2010 05:53 PM

Re: good or bad idea homemade dcb

No experience. but if they are welded correctly, i dont see how they could break under normal use

cisco5311 12-02-2010 01:52 AM

+1 if they are welded good, then you shouldn't have any problems.

If you used JB weld then that might be a disaster waiting to happen.......

NAARDEN INC 12-02-2010 03:37 AM

Itll never be as strong as the billet ones. Everything from the size of the fillet to the type of welding wire can severely effect the strength.

NAARDEN INC 12-02-2010 03:41 AM

[quote=808GSXR;4388715]No experience. but if they are welded correctly, i dont see how they could break under normal use[/quote]

So why do new gsxr frames just break at the welds? and suzuki has a dick load of engineers and cnc welders welding as close to perfect as you probably can and someone still made a mistake.

Its one thing if there is no options available its another if you are trying to be cheap and being cheap on your brakes is probably not worth it.

808GSXR 12-02-2010 02:01 PM

[quote=NAARDEN INC;4388911]So why do new gsxr frames just break at the welds? and suzuki has a dick load of engineers and cnc welders welding as close to perfect as you probably can and someone still made a mistake.

Its one thing if there is no options available its another if you are trying to be cheap and being cheap on your brakes is probably not worth it.[/quote]

Not sure. dont know that much about welding, but i can lay a bead lol.

Im thinkin it had to do with temperature,and penetration.. but then like i said i dont know much, Except the Gsxr frames are def problematic:bs
i would go with a Hohey bracket, just save up if you have to, learn foot brake

o4rudeboy 12-02-2010 06:35 PM

i may regret it but im leaning twords goin for it i dont think too much force is really going to be on the thing and the cost for a new bracket is too much for me 150 i dont have if i get hurt it will be a lesson learned

swampy 12-02-2010 10:50 PM

i dont know about welding two brakets together to make a dcb but hell try it out just make sure you cover your foot brake till ya know its going to hold. i made my own outta steal it looks like crap but it does the job :LOL DIY is wat stuntin is all about:2cents

MikeM 12-03-2010 07:55 AM

back around like 03, a lot of people did that, and theyre all broken now. Its cast aluminum, the worst kind to weld. The heat weakens the aluminum and they usually crack right next to the weld.

WILL215 12-03-2010 05:50 PM

[quote=MikeM;4389065]back around like 03, a lot of people did that, and theyre all broken now. Its cast aluminum, the worst kind to weld. The heat weakens the aluminum and they usually crack right next to the weld.[/quote]

+1 aluminum is the worst to weld, it never holds under any kinda pressure

P L P 12-03-2010 07:06 PM

[quote=MikeM;4389065]back around like 03, a lot of people did that, and theyre all broken now. Its cast aluminum, the worst kind to weld. The heat weakens the aluminum and they usually crack right next to the weld.[/quote]
+10000000 im "his boy" who told him to quit penny pinchin and set this beautiful stunter up the right way. exactly what i told him about cast. the money its cost will be close enoough to the $150 to make it not worth it. :nono

808GSXR 12-03-2010 07:55 PM

[quote=WILL215;4389141]+1 aluminum is the worst to weld, it never holds under any kinda pressure[/quote]

I think alum is hardest to weld because it will literally melt away from you.

Although...these guys make Aluminum Hull Tactical Boats for the coast gaurd and others
[URL="http://www.Safeboats.com"]www.Safeboats.com[/URL]

P L P 12-03-2010 09:46 PM

[quote=808GSXR;4389157]I think alum is hardest to weld because it will literally melt away from you.

Although...these guys make Aluminum Hull Tactical Boats for the coast gaurd and others
[URL="http://www.Safeboats.com"]www.Safeboats.com[/URL][/quote]
cast is a completely different animal

ATOWN1101 12-05-2010 01:51 PM

[quote=NAARDEN INC;4388911]So why do new gsxr frames just break at the welds? and suzuki has a dick load of engineers and cnc welders welding as close to perfect as you probably can and someone still made a mistake.

Its one thing if there is no options available its another if you are trying to be cheap and being cheap on your brakes is probably not worth it.[/quote]
+1010000 its your breaks!!! ever feel what its like to looped out a highchair on the high way do to break failure? do you want to find out :hello

P L P 12-06-2010 04:41 PM

[quote=ATOWN1101;4389280]+1010000 its your breaks!!! ever feel what its like to looped out a highchair on the high way do to break failure? do you want to find out :hello[/quote]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npo1MHb3AWA[/URL] :banghead

ATOWN1101 12-06-2010 05:25 PM

[quote=P L P;4389450][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npo1MHb3AWA[/URL] :banghead[/quote]
ouchhhhhhhhh that is all

P L P 12-06-2010 06:59 PM

[quote=ATOWN1101;4389453]ouchhhhhhhhh that is all[/quote]
actually wasnt as bad as it looked...but i DO NOT recomend it :LOL

GSE Nick 12-19-2010 02:24 PM

why is everyone pleading with this guy. he wants to be a cheap ass and put some haggered shit on his bike. more power to him, although i dunno how saving a few bucks is worth possibly your life?

GSE Nick 12-19-2010 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=GSE Nick;4390789]why is everyone pleading with this guy. he wants to be a cheap ass and put some haggered shit on his bike. more power to him, although i dunno how saving a few bucks is worth possibly your life?[/QUOTE]

and take it from us guys who have been around before hand brakes and know whats good and whats not! welding cast is junk. it will snap along the weld every time. dont give a fuck how u pre heat or any of that

GSXr07rules 12-19-2010 03:27 PM

Cheap= inexperienced stunter that hasn't been introduced to pavement yet