Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   CVBOYZ (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/140-cvboyz)
-   -   Bad News..... (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/140-cvboyz/79912-bad-news.html)

-Drew- 06-24-2004 10:57 AM

Bad News.....

I blew the motor in the EX last night. I'm pretty sure it was a jetting problem. Most likely my own fault. I had it running too lean cause the plug was black and dry.

To make matters worse.... after running some tests on the wheeler to figure out if it was definitly a blown motor, I pulled the side case off my XR motor to find the cause of the small oil leak. Yup... it's got a crack. One of the lower mounting holes for the clutch case to bolt to, had cracked and someone tried to repair it with some sort of puddy that hardens. Well... they didn't do a very good job. I'm gonna do my best to fix the problem (somehow???), and at least have that toy ready for my trip home.

As things stand right now.... I'll be lucky to bring home my mtn bike next month!

-Drew

RR_Rick 06-24-2004 11:02 AM

Re: Bad News.....

sorry to hear dude..that really sucks!

but if your motor was running lean your plug would be real WHITE..

-Drew- 06-24-2004 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=RR_Rick]sorry to hear dude..that really sucks!

but if your motor was running lean your plug would be real WHITE..[/QUOTE]

Well... whatever... it's still blown... the plug was black... and I'm out a 4-wheeler. Not too happy right now

RR_Rick 06-24-2004 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=CVBz]Well... whatever... it's still blown... the plug was black... and I'm out a 4-wheeler. Not too happy right now[/QUOTE]

I understand totally! alot of us have been there! and it sucks having something you cant just jump on and go :banghead
but you'll get it fixed sooner or later :cheers and then beat the hell out of it :laughing

RedRebel 06-24-2004 12:19 PM

Im just curious...What makes you think its blown?

-Drew- 06-24-2004 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=RedRebel]Im just curious...What makes you think its blown?[/QUOTE]

Yeah... Rizza was asking the same thing. I don't know... maybe my 15+ years of riding bikes and working on them. But then again... I could be wrong. Today is my Friday, so I've got a couple days to problem solve. I have a bad feeling that I burned up the piston though.... It was running really bad with no power only minutes before it quit... and when it quit... it just died.... not siezed. It still crankes... just doesn't start. I'm sure I'll get her figured out... maybe not in time for my trip to Vermont though.

RedRebel 06-24-2004 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=CVBz]Yeah... Rizza was asking the same thing. I don't know... maybe my 15+ years of riding bikes and working on them. But then again... I could be wrong. Today is my Friday, so I've got a couple days to problem solve. I have a bad feeling that I burned up the piston though.... It was running really bad with no power only minutes before it quit... and when it quit... it just died.... not siezed. It still crankes... just doesn't start. I'm sure I'll get her figured out... maybe not in time for my trip to Vermont though.[/QUOTE]

When you said dry and black plug.....that clues me into it being rich but it was starved of fuel...this is a serious question...don't laugh, its happened to me before.....did you turn on your gas from the petcock on the tank?
Just check the basics...make sure you got spark, getting fuel, and air. Go buy a compression tester and test it.

PhearCVBz 06-24-2004 03:09 PM

That would not be cool at all :(

-Drew- 06-24-2004 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=RedRebel]When you said dry and black plug.....that clues me into it being rich but it was starved of fuel...this is a serious question...don't laugh, its happened to me before.....did you turn on your gas from the petcock on the tank?
Just check the basics...make sure you got spark, getting fuel, and air. Go buy a compression tester and test it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the concern and questions... but I do know a little something about motors. Yes, the gas was turned on. It's one of the first things I checked. After getting it home, I pulled the gas line from the carb and turned the petcock to "On".... the fuel was running fast outta that hose. Then I pulled the carb and cleaned it. Sprayed out my jets... all of them... and threw it back together. I had already checked spark on the side of the trail.... it was weak, but it sparked. I tried a couple old plugs at home and they also sparked, but not very well because of their age. I'm gonna stop by the shop and get a couple new ones to try regardless tonight. I have yet to run a compression test, but I'll put my thumb over the spark plug hole and see how it feels.

The way the motor was acting prior to quiting leads me to believe that I fried the piston and rings. It was real weak and barely staying alive. This all occurred while trying to climb a pretty serious hill. It died on me going up the hill and I couldn't get it restarted. I turned it around and got it going by jump starting it... but you could tell it didn't wanna stay running. I only made it about a 1/2 mile before it died.

RedRebel 06-24-2004 04:06 PM

Doesn't sound very good at all. :(
I'd pick up some oil if you don't have any when you stop by the shop...Change the oil and you will problly have a good idea. :(
Sorry to hear that.

TILLER 06-24-2004 04:35 PM

sorry to hear bro.. but my quad will be open to u to ride while i video tape !!! :(

-Drew- 06-24-2004 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=99TILLER]sorry to hear bro.. but my quad will be open to u to ride while i video tape !!! :([/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the offer. Phear has also offered up his quad should I need something to ride for filming. I'm sure I'll take you up on it if I don't have my P.O.S. going by then.

mxquadracer 06-24-2004 09:50 PM

sorry to hear that man sounds like some shitty..well I guess luck in a way. Hope you get it back running again soon

vtwoodrider 06-25-2004 09:36 AM

shitty about the bike..but a top end isnt the end of the world...when are you comming home?

-Drew- 06-25-2004 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=vtwoodrider]shitty about the bike..but a top end isnt the end of the world...when are you comming home?[/QUOTE]

I'll be in NY on the 18th for the big throw down. Hope you can make it out Dan. A bunch of us are getting together to stunt/ride. Hit up Phear for details.

BTW... Think I might have the XR motor fixed and ready for assembly. Plus... gonna do my best to get that EX motor going again. Can anyone say 440? :apimp

neece303 06-25-2004 12:40 PM

wow Drew just read this.... really sorry to hear about the honda tha really sucks!!! did the person you bought it from mention anything about the motor? you said it looked like someone had tried to repair a part of it with some type of puddy...

-Drew- 06-25-2004 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=neece303]wow Drew just read this.... really sorry to hear about the honda tha really sucks!!! did the person you bought it from mention anything about the motor? you said it looked like someone had tried to repair a part of it with some type of puddy...[/QUOTE]

LOL... I'm not sure what bike you're talking about. I have two Honda's... the XR and the EX. The EX motor is blown... and the XR motor is on it's way to being reassembled because of an oil leak. To follow my progress on the XR... referr to the XR project thread. As for the EX... I'm tearing it apart today and hopefully ordering a 440 kit today as well. I'll keep everyone posted on that project as well.

neece303 06-25-2004 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=CVBz] Yup... it's got a crack. One of the lower mounting holes for the clutch case to bolt to, had [B]cracked and someone tried to repair it with some sort of puddy that hardens[/B]. Well... they didn't do a very good job. I'm gonna do my best to fix the problem (somehow???), and at least have that toy ready for my trip home.
[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the EX sorry.... just replied honda because you had been talking about the quad in this thread... didnt know if you had found the problem or not... or if it was due to what someone had tried to repair it from when you stated above..... either way... good luck on getting them both running!!!

Hazen 06-26-2004 12:19 PM

440 that shit up son. You gots to be bringin that keewad with ya unless you got circles on the XR.

For real though, that sucks man. Hope you get it straightened out.

-Hazen

-Drew- 06-27-2004 08:18 AM

Doubt I'll ever have circles on anything but a mtn bike. As for the quad... still can't figure it out. I'm trying every possible problem before pullin the motor. It doesn't look good for having it in time for VT. :(