Stunt Bike Forum

Stunt Bike Forum (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/)
-   XR50 & Minibike Forums (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/13-xr50-minibike-forums)
-   -   My Street Legal Stunter (https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/13-xr50-minibike-forums/286255-my-street-legal-stunter.html)

InfiniteReality 02-26-2011 02:05 PM

My Street Legal Stunter

9 Attachment(s)
Decided 6 months ago I was going to make my 50 street legal and did a lot of research to find out exactly what I have to do physically as well as the paperwork. I bought it about a year and a half ago from a co-workers 10 year old son. Took it from there and made it stuntable as well as some graphics I designed and cutout.

To make it legal here in Louisiana I had to wire it all from scratch. I was going to go the stator route, but instead chose the battery since I planned on running all LEDs, even in the headlights. I bought a small 12VDC 2200mA battery from an online battery store that would fit between the rails in the tail. Zip ties may seem cheesy to mount it with, but I guarantee it won't go anywhere. For brakes I got a scooter left hand brake, but it ended up being made of plastic. It works and I installed it but just ordered both left/right 7/8" black metal ones with the switches for brakes and they're on their way. The taillight is off a trailer I believe, I just took the guts out and made a board with 6 red 10mm 60000mcd LEDs and wired it for running light and brake light. The signals ended up being the most headache and I haven't found a solution other than to use resistors to make the flasher work. I've tried 1/2 dozen electric flashers and none of them can work with such a small load on the battery. I'll have to look online and I'm sure I can find one.

The part to get it legal was a lot easier than I thought. After it was all wired, brought it up to the State Police with the ORV title & drivers license and let them do an "Affidavit of Physical Inspection" which really only amounted to reading the VIN off to the trooper and talking to him about it, he even wants to do one and took my name/number down, lol. Next was I had go to the DMV with my title, paperwork from the State Police, proof of insurance ($2.40/month BTW), driver's license with endorsement and $70.50. Got me a plate on the spot with new legal registration. Came home, put on the plate and hauled ass (as much as a 50 can) to an inspection station, did all the lighting tests and got my inspection sticker. Now I just wait for a cop to pull me over, he can't do a thing!

Since I already have my registration, just ordered a personal plate for it. Really had no clue what I could put so simply stuck with FIDDY. I have till Monday if I can think of something better, but FIDDY is reserved for me.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/InfiniteReality/CRF50/StreetLegalBuild/IMAG0011.jpg[/IMG]
[ATTACH]250971[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250972[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250973[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250974[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250975[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250976[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250977[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250978[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250979[/ATTACH]

InfiniteReality 02-26-2011 02:05 PM

Re: My Street Legal Stunter

12 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]250959[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250960[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250961[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250962[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250963[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250964[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250965[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250966[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250967[/ATTACH]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/InfiniteReality/CRF50/StreetLegalFinished/IMG_1743.jpg[/IMG]
[ATTACH]250968[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250969[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]250970[/ATTACH]

bloodywanker231 02-26-2011 04:40 PM

Very slick 50! I like your graphics and the LED turn singals look sick. I'd love to make some runs to the liqour store on that thing! :cheers

InfiniteReality 02-26-2011 07:01 PM

Thanks! I hope to do just that, just need to figure a way to lock it all down when I go to the store, guess a lock/chain will have to do. Think this was the best mod I've done to the fiddy by far

tyler50stunter 02-28-2011 01:26 PM

nice nice

slowsinglecam 03-02-2011 07:13 PM

Im so going to do this. You can also buy this kit to do it too.

[url]http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Baja_Designs_XR_CRF50_Dual_Sport_Light_Kit_p/12-1231.htm[/url]

InfiniteReality 03-03-2011 10:53 AM

[quote=slowsinglecam;4397994]Im so going to do this. You can also buy this kit to do it too.

[URL]http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Baja_Designs_XR_CRF50_Dual_Sport_Light_Kit_p/12-1231.htm[/URL][/quote]

Yeah I've seen the baja kits... But $530 for an ugly kit is crazy. I do give it the fact it's plug & play. I pieced mine together for probably 1/4 of that and, at least IMO, looks alot better.

Thinking about making kits that look similar to mine but costs way less than baja.

slowsinglecam 03-03-2011 11:22 AM

[quote=InfiniteReality;4398067]Yeah I've seen the baja kits... But $530 for an ugly kit is crazy. I do give it the fact it's plug & play. I pieced mine together for probably 1/4 of that and, at least IMO, looks alot better.

Thinking about making kits that look similar to mine but costs way less than baja.[/quote]

Let me know if you do. Ill buy a kit if its cheaper then the baja.

Towlieee 03-04-2011 05:54 PM

street legal 50 is soo dope! I want one bad!

I talked to the owner of my local honda powersports shop (he's a friend also) and he said its possible to get htem legal here, just gotta get it inspected by the highway patrol...

I'm gonna attempt it in the next few months, I already have my stator wound, just need to get a voltage regulator and a battery, then all the dot approved essentials (signals/mirrors/lights/brake light setup) already got a sport bike horn layin around

plus I got a 4 speed tranny and 15/30 gearing, my bike has to do at least 55-60mph I'm thinking. plus just upgraded to a 108cc stroker :yeah:yeah

Towlieee 03-04-2011 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=InfiniteReality;4398067]Yeah I've seen the baja kits... But $530 for an ugly kit is crazy. I do give it the fact it's plug & play. I pieced mine together for probably 1/4 of that and, at least IMO, looks alot better.

Thinking about making kits that look similar to mine but costs way less than baja.[/QUOTE]

+1, I think the baja kit looks like crap, and is way to expensive, for something that looks like shit at least..

I hope I can get my 50 legal, I never tried before cause I figured it wouldn't pass... But now that the honda owner said he thinks it will, I'm def gonna try it!

InfiniteReality 03-05-2011 11:45 AM

I'll see what I come up with. Trying to buy another 50 to street legal and sell. If I can do that, I can duplicate the wiring harness and make up a couple of "kits" that'll be plug & play. I've put about 50 miles on my bike so far and love it... Never would have guessed it'd been so much fun on the street, especially knowing a cop can't do a damn thing.

I had to take mine by state police to inspect it and sign off on a form. To get that form you have to have your title and registration though. Luckily I had both since previous owner kept his... selling price on the title was to the sweet tune of $420, lol.

On a side note, I made mine 100% legal even up to the yellow reflectors on the side of the signals (IE, like side reflectors that come on new bikes). Also kept the stock exhaust on it. Basically didn't give them a reason they could actually fail my bike. Even though I did it 100% by the book, was still worried they'd find "something" that I'd have to change... nada, passed with flying colors.

slowsinglecam 03-05-2011 08:41 PM

How fast does your bike go? Cause mine can go 34mph stock. I dont know if you have anything done to it. I bet if I change the gearing I could make it quicker. First gear is way to short.

InfiniteReality 03-06-2011 06:21 PM

[quote=slowsinglecam;4398323]How fast does your bike go? Cause mine can go 34mph stock. I dont know if you have anything done to it. I bet if I change the gearing I could make it quicker. First gear is way to short.[/quote]

Via GPS mine barely hits 35mph. All stock gearing with only engine mod being a Two Bros filter. Agreed, first gear is WAY too short for street riding. I go through the gears just waiting on a cop to see that front wheel go up from the 1-2 shift, lol.

Towlieee 03-10-2011 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=InfiniteReality;4398394]Via GPS mine barely hits 35mph. All stock gearing with only engine mod being a Two Bros filter. Agreed, first gear is WAY too short for street riding. I go through the gears just waiting on a cop to see that front wheel go up from the 1-2 shift, lol.[/QUOTE]

If you ever wanna put any money into it, you can get a basic 88cc big bore pretty damn cheap and give it a LOT more power, then you can gear it a little longer for more top speed.. Or if you got some more cash to spend, $360 on a 88cc big bore with big valve 'race head' and 20mm carb, and it'll RIP! It becomes and entire new bike

I ran a $360 88cc kit coupled with a AHP $160 4 speed tranmission, and it made my bike soo fast... I could put short gearing on it that's close to stock, and rip through the gears fast and still have more top speed then stock cause of the 4 speed, or put my 15/30 gearing on and blow by cars in 40mph speed limit zones lol :apimp:cheers

kdog22 03-11-2011 04:10 PM

that came out GREAT looking dude! couple of my buddies here in Houston have their stunt 50s street legal so they can go mobbin down the street. I plan on doing that to mine as well.

InfiniteReality 03-11-2011 05:00 PM

I highly recommend getting it street legal, never would have imagined it'd been so much fun on the streets.

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMINUM-ROLLING-CHASSIS-FRAME-BIKE-HONDA-XR-CRF50-125-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a44cf1d37QQitemZ250262527287[/url]
A buddy of mine got one of these rolling chassis and Lifan engine and put it together. After I did mine, he got in the mood to do his though with all the lighting and street tires, but it'll be a little more headache since no title and have to do something called a red bike (or similar). It got me thinking though.... Since mine is already plated, I'm seriously contemplating getting similar setup and just say fuck it and rock the plate on it if I want to ride it on the streets with it. Adding a 3rd bike is never a bad idea and I'd like to keep the 50 how it is for stunting.

jebie79 05-01-2011 12:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
my street legal 50.

jimG 05-07-2011 01:12 AM

for anyone wondering massachusetts registers any dirtbike or pitbike with a cert of origin or title as a motorcycle
[URL]http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/[/URL]

oset05 05-07-2011 01:57 AM

shit look sick must be fun riding a fitty right by the cops having them wonder if they should pull you over or not and leave them scratching their heads:LOL

nice!:apimp

cummings487 05-07-2011 06:46 AM

awesome dude, i want one so bad but i doubt i could do it in FL. ill have to check .. make sure you let us know if you make some kits up