Vertical Mischief Crew Photo Gallery
www.verticalmischief.com
Wisconsin

HOLY HECK-205 mph speeding ticket

Old 09-21-2004, 10:25 PM

wheeman is an unknown quantity at this point
HOLY HECK-205 mph speeding ticket

have you guys seen this yet, just found it on yahoo news. Definatley not something i'd want to be caught for.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...205_mph_ticket

Strange News - AP
Minn. Trooper Writes 205 Mph Ticket

Tue Sep 21, 4:39 PM ET

Add Strange News - AP to My Yahoo!

WABASHA, Minn. - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

Â*

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license — and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."
Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 PM

Sloth is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HOLY HECK-205 mph speeding ticket

Wow thats insanee............... I wonder how long he lost his license for and if he went to jail?????? 205 MPH I cannot imagine, I have only gone 150...
Old 09-22-2004, 12:54 AM

kawisixer is an unknown quantity at this point

max points they can give is six right? in actuality he probably can't get in much more trouble than you would for getting pulled over for 25 or more over. Which is six points. So if thats six points and reckeless is another six. He'll lose it for three months if it's his first suspension. Guy does not want to go to court. The judge will own his ***. Dumb as shoulda had a mc license though. Thats another three i think. SUrprised they didn;;t try to get him for reckless endagerment or something along those lines.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:07 AM
I hate wallabies.

KangarooJack is an unknown quantity at this point

They dont have a point system in MN (at least when I lived in the Twin Cities in 92-93). They also dont have felony reckless driving. But heres a kicker. This dolt is the son of a sheriff's deputy.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:24 AM

wintersucks is an unknown quantity at this point

to the best of my knoledge, and what i have heard this bike was an rc51. these bikes are fast, but not that fast. to make one go 205mph would take a hell of a lot of money. money 99% of all 20 year old kids deffinetely do not have. somewhere there is a mistake on the true speed he was going. ferthermore this might also explain why there were a good number of cops out on sunday when i was in that area on my way to winsconsin and had a few close calls ourselves.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:39 AM
I hate wallabies.

Originally Posted by wintersucks
to the best of my knoledge, and what i have heard this bike was an rc51. these bikes are fast, but not that fast. to make one go 205mph would take a hell of a lot of money. money 99% of all 20 year old kids deffinetely do not have. somewhere there is a mistake on the true speed he was going. ferthermore this might also explain why there were a good number of cops out on sunday when i was in that area on my way to winsconsin and had a few close calls ourselves.

175 or 205 the point is moot. He's still f-ed.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:02 AM

very true. on that note i dont dissagree with you one bit. he is for sure in a world of hurt. just happy it wasnt me i guess
Old 09-22-2004, 10:20 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person

NO WAY POSSIBLE for that speed to be accurate. You guys know how much horsepower it takes a Busa to go that fast?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:31 AM
DIZZLESTUNTZ.COM

X DIZZLE X is an unknown quantity at this point

205 mph is 100% possibile if the bike has a turbo or another major power adder , i know a guy from around here he use to have a cbr blackbird with a mitsu turbo on 12psi boost and and that bike could top 208+ no problem

im not saying that the guy that got causght was actually going 205 witch he probally wasnt i bet that cop in the chopper just adder a few to the story he did it with a stop watch not a radar
Old 09-22-2004, 11:32 AM

Schiernbeck is an unknown quantity at this point

He wasn't going 205 without a hell of a lot of motor mods and a lot of $$$$ spent on the bike. Either way he won't be riding anytime soon.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:48 AM

unclejackss is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we all know he wasn't going that fast. That should be able to be proved in court. If his measured speed is not accurate how can they prove he was speeding at all, and by how much? If I was a lawyer this is a case I would definitely take on.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:21 PM
I hate wallabies.

Just a FYI....

Guy on MSB emailed the paper and got this back.

Mr. Tilley apparently works at a shop that specializes in supercharging motorcycles, and his bike is, according to the police, custom. The big Hondas are certainly capable of such high speeds under modification, and apparently this guy has (or had?) one. But it is definitely possible he will contest the stopwatch clocking, not that it really matters. So what if he was driving 180, not 205? At that speed, it make little difference legally.

Hank Shaw
Staff Writer
Pioneer Press
345 Cedar St
St Paul, MN 55101
Old 09-22-2004, 01:28 PM

Timmy30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: HOLY HECK-205 mph speeding ticket

Well your not a lawyer Jack!! So why don't you shut your trap for once. Or maybe we can meet and...
Old 09-22-2004, 02:59 PM

Schiernbeck is an unknown quantity at this point

The CBR1000RR had a recall on the speedometer. He should use that for his agrument.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:39 PM

kawisixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Gee alot of guys SUPERCHARGING motorcycles these days?????
Old 09-22-2004, 05:22 PM

Risingevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like some bs I would get busted for.....
Old 09-23-2004, 01:37 AM

it was an rc51