Vertical Mischief Crew Photo Gallery
www.verticalmischief.com
Wisconsin

My own personal update on Ryan Suchanek

Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Schultzy is a decent person
My own personal update on Ryan Suchanek

Its Saturday October 13th and I have been in anticipation all week for this day...this is the day I finally get to go up and see Ryan. I have kept up with the updates all week. I have spoke with his parents throughout the week. I have spoke with a few others that have had the opportunity to spend some time with Ryan. I was excited to hear that each day Ryan was improving.

On Friday October 5th nothing could prepare me for the phone call we received shortly after Ryan's accident...upon hearing the news I began to go into a whirlwind of emotions that anyone would that just received notice that one of their friends had been involved in an accident. I can remember sitting in the car as I rode with Garrett and Andy up to Madison that friday how my hands were shaking and the tears would not cease. We had only got bits of information up to that point and I just wanted to be at the hospital to find out what exactly was going on with Ryan. I had at one point wanted to scream out "Can't you please drive faster!" I knew we were going fast enough but to me time was in this stand still place and my emotions were getting the best of me.
Upon arriving at the hospital we were greeted with a nurse who led us into a small family waiting room in the ER. This is where Inge and Greg, Ryan's parents, greeted us and began to share with us what happened to Ryan while he was on his way home just a few hours earlier.I don't remember much during this moment...it seems that I was to a point of just wanting to drop to my knees and pray for a higher power to take this pain away and to watch over someone that means the world to me. We were then led to a family waiting area to sit and wait for Ryan to get out of surgery. It was there as I was surrounded by his family and friends I began to pray. It seemed that we sat in that room for days and I know it was only a few hours until the doctor came in with the update on Ryan's surgery. Through tears I watched a complete stranger unfold a loved one's life in front of me as he shared with us Ryan's surgery, Ryan's condition, their expectations and hopes...his voice was calm and our questions were answered but my body and my mind were too numb to even grasp what had just happened.
Phone calls, emails, Stuntlife, Myspace and visits to friends were non stop the following days. I found it amazing how many people cared and were concerned for Ryan. I had the opportunity to travel with Ryan this summer and it amazed me how he connected with people. And each one of us have a special connection with him that is very different from the next person. It does not matter if you have known him your whole life or just a few years or even for just a moment as one would exchange words of excitment with him at a show....he has they way of connecting with everyone that comes into his life for whatever reason.
So the week following his accident I kept up with updates and a few of us began to organize benefits, a get well book and cards, bracelets that will be worn to honor someone with great DETERMINATION...I was caught up with everything and my emotions were put on hold. Then Saturday October 13th arrives and I am on my way to the hospital to see Ryan for the first time since his accident. When we arrived he had been taken down for xrays and so we waited there in the hall with his family and Whitney. Then out of the corner of my eye I can see they are bringing him down the hall. As he passes me he reaches out to grab my hand and say hello. At that moment I realize how much Ryan means to me...it feels good to hold his hand and to look into his eyes. Just to see him and to know he is ok and that he is alive!
He gets settled into his room and I hold his hand while Nate gives him the Get Well card we got for him...and Ryan for the first time after his accident tries to read. He takes a moment and he reads what is on the card. We are so excited for this to happen for it is just another step to his recovery. We spent maybe 4-5 hours there with Ryan and chatted a bit in between his cat naps. I got him to smile...a smile I anticipated for over a week. I love that Ryan Suchanek grin! His sense of humor came out at times and it gave us the comfort of knowing that he was going to be ok.
We decided that our visit with Ryan should end for he needed his rest...nothing could prepare me for what follows.
Ryan was so determined to get out of bed that he sat up and tried many times to just get out of bed. He had to go to the bathroom and he could not understand why he could not just get up and go walk to the bathroom. Their are times when we are all put through trials and tribulations and for me this was one of those times. As we explained to Ryan why he could not get up...as we explained to Ryan that his leg was broken...as we explained to Ryan that he no longer had a left foot...it was clear that he really did not understand what actually happened to him. He attempted several other times to get up and at one point told us "Well I am going to just walk to my parents house and use the bathroom." It was at that moment that the seriousness of his accident became very evident and the road to recovery was only at the very tip of its beginning. I remained strong while I held his hand and we spoke of the accident...I spoke to him and not at him as he asked for answers. It was so hard for me to leave his bedside for I wanted to just watch over him. I just wanted to hold his hand and assure him that I and all of his friends and family were going to be right there for him.
We left his room and I did not even make it to the elavator when all the emotions hit me like a freight train and I broke down. I cried most of the way home that afternoon. I was at another level of emotions that I felt I had no control over. I prayed once again before going to sleep last night. I asked for God to take Ryan into his arms and to watch over him and his loved ones and to give each of us the strength to get through the next few months. As Ryan begins his road to recovery I know that he will hit many obstacles that he will need to figure out and get through. I also know that Ryan Suchanek is someone that has the determination, the desire to succeed and has the ability to get through this. He may need a helping hand along the way and I know I will be there to give him that hand.

As I began on some design work for tshirts and posters and other signs of encouragement and support for Ryan it gives me the strength and the hope that one day my friend Ryan Suchanek will be someone that was given a challenge and he accepted that challenge if not by choice but by some plan...and with his determination he conquered that challenge and succeeded in life to continue to touch people's lives in greater ways.

I love you Ryan and I am here for you!

stuntlife-2.jpg

Last edited by Schultzy; 10-14-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: pic
Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Ninjadude is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My own personal update on Ryan Suchanek

Great post Laurie! Very well said!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:48 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i only know ryan from posting here on stuntlife but just from the few times i have posted back and forth with him i think he is the type of person that will fight thru what ever life throws at him and i think he is one of those people that will succeed at life no matter what happens to him and by the time i was done reading this thread i was fighting back tears.....lol

you sound like a great freind and thats a good thing for some one in ryans position
Old 10-14-2007, 01:01 PM
vvXDL Finals Las Vegas vv

Ford will become famous soon enoughFord will become famous soon enough

we rode at pink all out at milan dragway together. Cool guy, I hope the best for him!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

DUKER is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 PM

brykjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Very well put Laurie!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Dactyl is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not posted on stuntlife in a very long time. I am touched by your story. I will say a prayer for Ryan, his family, and his friends. God bless you all
Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

thankyou for being there for me laurie it means more to me than u will ever know
Old 10-31-2007, 01:42 PM

pigs01GSXR2 will become famous soon enough

Ryan, You will make the best of this I am sure of it......Ride on my Brother.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Schultzy is a decent person

I love ya buddy! Brickwall and I will always be here for you.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

Originally Posted by Schultzy
I love ya buddy! Brickwall and I will always be here for you.
words cant and wont express how much i thank you and brick wall
Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM

T'RIC'KY will become famous soon enough

Very nice words!

Hey Ryan it´s good to see you´re back bro, I wish you all the best and a lot of Power on your recovery!