Michigan Detroit

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:27 PM

lilbittAtrouble is an unknown quantity at this point
Help!

Okay... I need some feedback. I'm about to buy a new bike... in the next few weeks here. I'm moving up from a ninja 250 to a 600.... I have narrowed it down to the R6 or the CBR600RR. But i can't decide!! They both weigh about the same, and are both going to have to be lowered a considerate amount to accomodate lil ol' me

For those of you that have never met me, these are important factors because I am only 5' tall and weigh ~100lbs

I like the look of the 600RR better, but its fairly new.. so i don't know how much feedback i can get on it.. but anything about handling, speed, experience, repairs... etc... would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks yall! :YEAH
Old 05-27-2004, 10:25 AM

RedHot is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help!

I went from the 250 to the R6. I love the R6. I would say sit on them and figure out which is more comfortable. The R6 was perfect for me, I road a friend of mines and new it was the bike for me. I think they are both great bikes but the CBR was uncomfortable for me.

Good Luck!!

Originally Posted by lilbittAtrouble
Okay... I need some feedback. I'm about to buy a new bike... in the next few weeks here. I'm moving up from a ninja 250 to a 600.... I have narrowed it down to the R6 or the CBR600RR. But i can't decide!! They both weigh about the same, and are both going to have to be lowered a considerate amount to accomodate lil ol' me

For those of you that have never met me, these are important factors because I am only 5' tall and weigh ~100lbs

I like the look of the 600RR better, but its fairly new.. so i don't know how much feedback i can get on it.. but anything about handling, speed, experience, repairs... etc... would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks yall! :YEAH
Old 05-27-2004, 12:45 PM

Gelfreak91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the look of the RR better...I raced and talked to a guy that has one and he seemed to like it a lot. Didnt have anything bad to say about it...stated he really like how light it is, and was very pleased with acceleration.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough

I'm a big yamaha fan, so my vote is obviously the R6. Not to say the honda isn't a great bike in itself. I'm not sure which one sits better for such a small frame girl such as yourself, but you should sit on both, and if possible ride both to see which is your preference. Good luck and post pics' once you get it
Old 05-27-2004, 06:07 PM

THANKS EVERYONE!!

i have been on both, and honestly, its hard to tell because i'm so short, i can't even come close to picking the bike up off the stand

but i do like the way the RR sits better I can reach over the tank a bit better.
I've been financed at andersons and may have a new bike as soon as next weekend :YEAH
Old 05-28-2004, 10:01 AM

SHIFFTY is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKS EVERYONE!!

i have been on both, and honestly, its hard to tell because i'm so short, i can't even come close to picking the bike up off the stand

but i do like the way the RR sits better I can reach over the tank a bit better.
I've been financed at andersons and may have a new bike as soon as next weekend :YEAH
GO FAR FAR AWAY
Old 05-29-2004, 01:38 AM

bmacd can only hope to improve

i recommend the 'busa or new zx12...both are great bikes.

-=bmacd=-
Old 05-29-2004, 01:41 AM

jojo2243 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SHIFFTY
GO FAR FAR AWAY
why dont you just stop reading her posts
Old 05-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Regular StuntLifer

UR2SLW is an unknown quantity at this point

600 RR :YEAH
Old 05-29-2004, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by bmacd
i recommend the 'busa or new zx12...both are great bikes.

-=bmacd=-

looks like someones trying to make up for a lack of "power" betweent the legs

Old 05-29-2004, 05:55 AM

chillyzf4i is a decent person

looks like someones trying to make up for a lack of "power" betweent the legs

damn then i need something bigger then a busa
how bout that new kaw 2000cc think that will compensate me accordly
Old 06-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Rock'n the world

BigJeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Judging from what you have told us about your height and I am not knocking 5' tall either. LOL I would suggest finding a bike that will cost you the least to lower. Either bike is light enough and powerful enough to get in trouble and hopefuly the good kind. LOL I know if the R6 suspension is like the R1 suspension they are easy to lower and can be done at a fair price. The last time I checked local pricing around here the R6 was cheaper then the Honda and if your tight with your money like me that is a big factor. Either bike you choose will make you happy IMHO but of course I am a Yamaha fan.

Jeff
Old 06-02-2004, 05:46 PM

Thanks jeff!!

I ended up getting the 600RR... picked it up yesterday
But i have the hook up on lowering it.... I took it to him straight from the dealership yesterday... and when i talked to him last night, he said that its gonna be a bit difficult to lower. Its different than the R6, and none of them have had to deal with this kind of suspension. Hopefully we'll figure it out, and hopefully i can get it low enough so i'm comfortable, but not too low that its scraping.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
The Micron Model ~gixxie

gixxie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey WASSUP! I don't know if you picked your bike yet, but just wanted to letcha know that the GSXR 600 is really easy to lower. In all reality if you have someone that KNOWS the RIGHT way to lower a bike then any bike it can be done on, but the RIGHT way would be to replace the DOG BONES in the middle of the bike (BELOW THE SEAT) and NOT lower the front forks. Both will change the performance of the bike but by lowering the forks really plays a BIG DEAL in the handling of the bike, and if you would want to go with an R6 like u are talking about then you would want to add a Steering damper and if you would drop the front forks there is NO WAY the damper will fit. But I would say what ever bike you go with ask around where you live and see if anyone has ever lower a bike by using DOG BONEs. Sometimes if you are changing the GSXR 600's you can actually use a STOCK KAWI's link. There are actually longer and will fit a GSXR as well

I of coarse am a HUGE GSXR (GSXE) fan so I would say a GSXR6. My roommate gsxe_Jenn, we lowered her bike with stock Kawi dog bones and it lowered her bike almost 3" and she loves it. It looks good and she is very comfortable and by doing this she has really learned a lot of things about riding's WHAT TO DO's AND NOT TO DO's and still able to keep the bike upright. This year in Daytona we did a Chinese fire drill and she got on my bike (that is at race height;HIGHER that stock) and just about dropped it!!! We were all hoping she would keep it from hitting the ground! And she saved it! But wanted hers back quick! But you will learn so much and be able to figure things out about the performance of the bike while you are getting to know a more powerful machine.

But if I were to pick from a Honda 6RR or an R6 I would say that the R6 is more WOMEN friendly. The 600rr seems to be a bit higher and the throttle is REALLY touchy!!! As for the R6 a fun bike but turn really easy like a bicycle.
And if you were to lower the FORKS (like I said NOT TO DO) then you will notice that the handle bars hit the tank so the turning radious is really taken away from... And the r6 really requires to have a damper, if not the R6's and R1's are known as a death traps. Image hitting a pot hole going about 60mph, the front of the bike is so light and the handle bars are so easy to move, the bike would most likely go into a tank slap (the handle bars wiggling out of controll). A Steering Damper would reduce or take the wiggle completely away. Here is a link: hyperProusa.com

But good luck and let me know girlie!
gixxie@gixxie.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1359.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	82042  
Old 06-02-2004, 07:31 PM

thanks gixxie....... gee, wish i would have talked to u a few weeks ago! But they are planning on using the dog bones to lower it, and not the front forks.... and i had already talked to them about putting a damper on it.. i wanna keep it handling as close to "normal" as possible. I am a huge gsxr fan too.. but sitting on it, the reach was so far, i could barely pull the clutch in. Eventually i wanted to work up to a gsxr.... but i wanted to get comfortable on a 600 that i could reach better on

But thanks again.. and we met u in mid ohio last year your such a sweetie!
Hopefully we'll see u again this year... good luck and thank u!!
Old 06-04-2004, 02:07 PM

erick224 is an unknown quantity at this point

damn --- thats the prettiest thing i have ever seen in ohio!!!!!

so hot

i love you gixxie!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Regular StuntLifer

camaroguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

what are you talking about.... lowering the rear and not the front is the right way to go???? LOL. only if you're a friggin royal oak cruise and back home kinda person. If you actually ran at a track, you will see why you HAVE TO lower the front and the back. Otherwise the suspension will be way off.

lower the front and back. i don't know how you have seen bikes lowered gixxie, but the handlebars are not supposed to move. just loosen them up and slide em wherever once the forks are raised.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:32 PM

Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

I would've chose the 600rr, but I'm a big honda fan. I like the yamaha's to but I wasn't comfortable sittn on the r1 or r6

Good luck with your new bike :YEAH
Old 06-06-2004, 07:25 PM
The Micron Model ~gixxie

gixxie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Redlined ZX6R
what are you talking about.... lowering the rear and not the front is the right way to go???? LOL. only if you're a friggin royal oak cruise and back home kinda person. If you actually ran at a track, you will see why you HAVE TO lower the front and the back. Otherwise the suspension will be way off.

lower the front and back. i don't know how you have seen bikes lowered gixxie, but the handlebars are not supposed to move. just loosen them up and slide em wherever once the forks are raised.
Whatever MR. KnowITall...

I wasn’t referring to TRACK DAYS! Does this exact FORM look like we are talking about Track days. I am talking about lowering a bike safely for a GIRL! And as for the handlebars not everyone knows or wants to move them forward! And as for racing on the track they DONT lower the bike in the rear if anything AGAIN MR> KNOW IT ALL. They raise it
Old 06-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Regular StuntLifer

camaroguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gixxie
Whatever MR. KnowITall...

I wasn’t referring to TRACK DAYS! Does this exact FORM look like we are talking about Track days. I am talking about lowering a bike safely for a GIRL! And as for the handlebars not everyone knows or wants to move them forward! And as for racing on the track they DONT lower the bike in the rear if anything AGAIN MR> KNOW IT ALL. They raise it
not tryin to start an argument here... my apologies. and i didnt say you are supposed to lower it at the track... i said in general if you are lowering it you gotta lower front and back or the handling will go down the *******. to SAFELY lower a bike, gotta do front and back to make it perform correctly. I know from experience. a friend of mine has a ninja 500... she is 5'1" so she had it lowered. they could not lower the front on that bike because its set from thefactory, so she just lowered the rear. it handled horrible, looked like a drag bike, and she just kept dropping it. she raised it back up, shaved the seat and now it handles much better. again... sorry ... no flame intended.. just to be safe and handle correctly ya gotta lower the front and the back...