Need help cutting stock f3 pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 12:56 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help cutting stock f3 pipe

I finally got 1st gear bps on lock. Tonight i was working on slowing them down and hear "scrape" I tapped rear and looked at my exhaust to see my tip bent up and scratched. I figure i better shorten it before I catch it hard and flip my shiat. Can someone tell me how to do it. My friend has a hack saw and rivet gun in hand. Do i just cut it and then try and slid the pieces back together or what, help me out here cause i'm totally clueless...

Jon
Old 08-21-2004, 01:34 AM

junebug is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need help cutting stock f3 pipe

I cut the stock one on my old gsxr600 with a chop saw(like a muffler shop uses) hacksaw would work but hard to keep straight imo. I had my dad weld it back together. If yours has the end cap riveted on just drillem out chop it short, rivet the cap back on. Thats what i did on my current stunter cbr954 see pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	short pipe.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	94397  
Old 08-21-2004, 01:40 AM

xRR-riderx is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know how to cut the pipe, but i have scraped my exhaust... and a friend told me that while we were out filming highway ****, i was like inches away from scraping it, at like 70-75mph... when we watched the footage, it was inches from the ground... so what i did was take a 3inch piece out of my midsection, and re-welded it... ill post pics of it if i can take some tomorrow, and ill post pics of how close it was to scraping on the highway.... :YEAH
Old 08-21-2004, 01:55 AM

GsxrMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Need help cutting stock f3 pipe

Originally Posted by JonnyGSXR
I finally got 1st gear bps on lock. Tonight i was working on slowing them down and hear "scrape" I tapped rear and looked at my exhaust to see my tip bent up and scratched. I figure i better shorten it before I catch it hard and flip my shiat. Can someone tell me how to do it. My friend has a hack saw and rivet gun in hand. Do i just cut it and then try and slid the pieces back together or what, help me out here cause i'm totally clueless...

Jon
Sounds like u pretty much know how to do it, but a hacksaw is going to take forever to cut it...
Old 08-21-2004, 02:21 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Get a reciprocating saw

Last edited by MikeM; 03-17-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:36 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jowalskiMO is an unknown quantity at this point

the way i cut my stock pipe worked pretty good, hacksawed it, then took a piece of sheet metal and wrapped it around the pipe, where it was cut and riveted it all together, works good, but it leaks a little bit. no big deal, took about 2 hours
Old 08-22-2004, 01:04 PM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Cut mine yesterday, started with a hacksaw and ended up renting a sawzall cause I may never have finished with the hacksaw! I cut about 3-4" off the end and then put riveted the end cap back on. Looks ok, leaks a bit. The sound changed alot though, i hear alot of pops and stuff now, kinda reminds me of a riced out civic. Anyone know if this is gonna affect my engine much, like should i worry about rejetting or anything?
Old 08-22-2004, 03:56 PM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by MikeM
Get a reciprocating saw

werd, sawzall is how i did it..... took about 10 seconds to cut through it
Old 08-27-2004, 09:43 PM

f4istunna is an unknown quantity at this point

Just finally got my stock shorty on (was waiting til i got my welder) Its not much louder than stock at all cut with chop saw modified pipes inside and rewelded the end cap on.