Cracked oilpan

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 07:49 PM

EndoPro is an unknown quantity at this point
Cracked oilpan

I was putting the oil screw into my 450 today and I torqued it in cuz i'm a dumbass and thought it had to be torqued to like 60 lb-ft... anyways it cracked the hole where it goes in... ANything I can do about that? The bike won't hold oil now.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cracked oilpan

Originally Posted by EndoPro
I was putting the oil screw into my 450 today and I torqued it in cuz i'm a dumbass and thought it had to be torqued to like 60 lb-ft... anyways it cracked the hole where it goes in... ANything I can do about that? The bike won't hold oil now.
Get a new oil pan or try ghetto style jb weld.
Oil drain bolts are usually torqued to around 30ftlbs.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:35 PM

threekidss is an unknown quantity at this point

yes......2 things might work.......I assume it is aluminium, if not let me know and I can give you diff. info.

first is go to a metal fab. shop......a place that makes hand rails would prob. be best and cheapest.......have them prep and weld it......make sure you have a long bolt threaded into the pan or the heat will warp the threads.....leave it out long enough for them to get to the edge of the threads......tig would be best bet mig will prob. work.

2 j & b weld the crap out of it and retap it........make sure you sand down the area first......it will work better if you can scar out the cracked area before with a file or a very small bur bit...... I didn't look where you were....if you are close to delaware I can help you.

mark
Old 06-25-2004, 11:11 PM

Its only a really small crack, just enough for the bike to drip out oil. How can I sand or file that? And I think the engine block is steel... It is a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 450.. model CB450SC. Its my wheelie bike, I usually ride the hurricane. Whats this about the long bolt in the hole when its gettin welded? I dont' quite get what you meant... I take a long bolt and put it in the hole instead of the stock one, and leave it so its poking out like an inch, and then once the bike's been welded, screw it out and put in the stock one?

Thanks for the help, maybe i'll get some pics up.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:53 AM

Its only a really small crack, just enough for the bike to drip out oil. How can I sand or file that? And I think the engine block is steel... It is a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 450.. model CB450SC. Its my wheelie bike, I usually ride the hurricane. Whats this about the long bolt in the hole when its gettin welded? I dont' quite get what you meant... I take a long bolt and put it in the hole instead of the stock one, and leave it so its poking out like an inch, and then once the bike's been welded, screw it out and put in the stock one?

Thanks for the help, maybe i'll get some pics up.
heya again,
with the long bolt yes.....leave it sticking out at least an inch..........when you weld near a fitting the heat will warp the threads and you will never get the plug back in......its the same from a 4 mm bolt to a 6inch pipe fitting.....just let it cool down and screw out the long bolt......if your oil pan is steel it will be easier and cheaper to have it welded......if it is only a small crack I would try the j &b first as you can always remove it and weld.......hell I have it on my engine cover where it was leaking on my 900......and have never had a problem....what I mean by sanding is get it clean......real clean.....the thing with the bur bit is more for larger cracks but you should try and open the crack a tiny bit for better penetration.....if it is tiny then just sand it clean.
hope it goes well,
mark
Old 06-26-2004, 10:27 AM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point

go to autozone and get a "pansaver" plug, its a metal/rubber plug that kinda looks like a drywall anchor where its got a wing not on the end if you know what im talkin about.

you can also use a "piggyback" like the picture, or have it welded like others said. this will get you rollin fast though

Old 06-26-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by HurricaneF2
go to autozone and get a "pansaver" plug, its a metal/rubber plug that kinda looks like a drywall anchor where its got a wing not on the end if you know what im talkin about.

you can also use a "piggyback" like the picture, or have it welded like others said. this will get you rollin fast though

hey,
thats a good idea!!!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 12:10 AM

I don't understand what the nut and washer are for
Old 06-27-2004, 12:30 AM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point

the big nut gets threaded into the pan, will cut its own threads cuz its tapered, then the little one goes into the big one and thats the one you remove to drain the oil, the little one. theyre only a couple bucks, go up there and look at them and see if theyll work.

btw if autozone dont have em, stop by a jiffylube or the like, they have them for sure