need info for zx9r fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 02:17 PM

codebluezx9r is an unknown quantity at this point
need info for zx9r fuel problem

Ive got an 01 zx9r im havin a problem with bike shutin down when tryin to roll slow twelves or doin bar tricks. Need to know if there is a way to fix problem from someone else that has experienced the same thing. Iv made sure my tank is full so i know its not that.Please dont tell me i need to get a honda unless there is no other solution.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:27 PM

Re: need info for zx9r fuel problem

Anyone.........Anyone
Old 03-13-2004, 01:11 AM

danzx-9r is an unknown quantity at this point

dude i'm not hating on u cause i also own a zx-9r but in ur profile u say ur a mechanic. I'm confused r u a car mechanic? Just asking and thought i'd post cause no one else did but i don't have a clue cause i'm not that good at stunting actually i can't stunt at all unless u count a 1st gear pop a wheelie and a 2nd gear pop a wheelie. sorry but hopefully u find the right info.

not haten just wondering bro good luck
Old 03-13-2004, 07:26 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent gotten the slow **** down with my 9 yet, but have you tried runnin your fuel petcock on reserve even though its full. That way it will have a shorter tube its tryin to pull fuel through, Just an idea
Old 03-14-2004, 12:21 PM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point

Petcock shouldn't matter, if the tank is full like he says.
Does the bike just cut out/shut off or do you get a decent amount of smoke out of the tail pipe at the same time as the bike dies and/or after you restart it?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:28 PM

BunaRocket is an unknown quantity at this point

Bike blows more smoke after a 12 than I've seen in my life, lol. It only runs for a second on the bar then dies, or if your slow rolling it starts cutting out and then dies.

You think it's running too rich, or not enough fuel in the float bowls, or too much fuel in the float bowls???
Old 03-15-2004, 01:01 AM

Sorry so long, you asked for it.

I can't say that there is or isn't something going on with the carbs. Might be part of the problem, might not.

What I CAN tell you is what I think is causing it and you can try and see if it helps you out.
Below I posted two pictures, I just took of my '00 zx9r. I circled a breather hose that runs from the top rear section of the crankcase up to the back of the airbox.
When the zx9r is close to verticle or on the tail the engine oil runs through that tube. The tube was at the top rear of the motor when the bike was flat on the ground, and now is at the bottom side corner of the engine with the bike standing staight up. Oil runs out the tube and easily into the airbox where is it sucked into the carbs and stalls the motor out. You can see in the picture I just turned it 90 degrees to make sure you understand what I am saying.
Even if you stood the bike on tail with the bike off, and then put it back down, the leftover oil that is in the airbox still and hasn't drained back into the engine is going to cause some serious smoke when you do fire it up. I don't know how other bikes have a crankcase breather routed but the one on our engine does not make vertical an easy thing.
For the record, I first realized this when we stood my bike on end to see how it stood alone. Having seen so many bikes on the tailsection while they were running I didn't think twice and went to fire it up while still standing straight up. The number 4 cylinder took a big gulp of oil and the engine instantly seized. It had sucked oil into the engine, the intake valve closed, and the piston couldn't move up cause the cylinder was full of oil, not air. Oil doesn't compress as well as air does.
No big deal, no damage, just had to pull the plugs and stuff rags into the plug holes to catch all the oil as I cranked it over after trucking it back home. Fixed in an hour or so but the oil made a mess. I learned my lesson, don't ever start this bike while it's sitting vertical!
Only real solution I can think of is to either remove the hose and block off the breather hole which I don't recommend, or find some way of keeping oil from getting into the airbox by maybe routing it somewhere else with a longer section of hose. Around the side of the airbox and toward the front of the bike like near the ram air intake tubes. Also put a small aftermarket air filter on the end of the hose to prevent anything from getting inside the case. Maybe that would allow the case to breathe but the oil would only run into the hose and never reach the end because it would now be straight up to the top of the bike when vertical.
Hope this helps, again sorry so long. Let me know if/when you ever solve this 100%, or if this makes any difference in the way it runs.
I'll do the same if I get results.
Later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hose_horz.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	69148   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose_vert.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	69149  
Old 03-15-2004, 01:21 AM

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point

dude its prolly a tip over sensor if its just shuting off. happens alot to people. i had a buddy with a 600rr that told me everytime he wheelied (first bike not really good wheelies eihter) it would shut off. i didin't believe him so i rode it and sure enough it would. i went through and found out the ****ers at honda (i'm sorry its like swearing at god) put the tip over sensor upside down :P so we put it right way and it worked fine.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tenny44
dude its prolly a tip over sensor if its just shuting off. happens alot to people. i had a buddy with a 600rr that told me everytime he wheelied (first bike not really good wheelies eihter) it would shut off. i didin't believe him so i rode it and sure enough it would. i went through and found out the ****ers at honda (i'm sorry its like swearing at god) put the tip over sensor upside down :P so we put it right way and it worked fine.
Nope sorry.
No tip over sensor on the zx9r.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:21 PM

thanks for the tip ill try movin the crankcase tube. Im also gonna try adjusting floats in the carbs a buddy of mine said it might be flooding out so im gonna try leaning it out a bit.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by danzx-9r
dude i'm not hating on u cause i also own a zx-9r but in ur profile u say ur a mechanic. I'm confused r u a car mechanic? Just asking and thought i'd post cause no one else did but i don't have a clue cause i'm not that good at stunting actually i can't stunt at all unless u count a 1st gear pop a wheelie and a 2nd gear pop a wheelie. sorry but hopefully u find the right info.

not haten just wondering bro good luck
Yes im a mechanic but all mechanics look for info before just tearing **** apart
just lookin for a good place to start and if i can't figure somethin out ill buy a honda.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Regular StuntLifer

camaroguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

whoa whoa whoa... did u remove the kleen valve yet? if not, you go get a 5/8" t-fitting, put it where the kleen valve is (theres a couple hoses coming out of the valve cover plugging into a valve), connect the crankcase vent that goes to the airbox to the other end of the T. plug up the airbox... hell even use tape. Plug up all the lines that went to the kleen valve.. probably just 1 vacuum hose. Then you will get no oil into the airbox..... .
Old 03-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Regular StuntLifer

yea.. those pics posted above... thats the hose... plug it into the t-fitting you can put where the kleen valve was. problem solved.. and yes that is vented into the exhaust if you route it the way i am telling you
Old 03-15-2004, 08:07 PM

Camaroguy, the picture below is of the Kleen valve, and putting a T in it's place and running a hose off that T and down around to the crankcase hose is what your talking about right?

Just want to be sure, cause it sounds like a damn good idea to me.

Glad I happen to have the bike apart right now too. :YEAH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kleen.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	69288  
Old 03-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Regular StuntLifer

what pic? the kleen valve is literally on top of te valve cover with a hose coming in on each side and one coming out... just plug up everything after putting the t-fitting in. especially make sure u cap off the vacuum lines. this will eliminate backfiring with an aftermarket pipe as well as add a couple ponies since u arent throwing hot air into the intake
Old 03-16-2004, 09:05 AM

Sorry.

There is the picture now.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Regular StuntLifer

yep thats the valve... no put a t-fitting in its place, probably a 5/8", connect a hose from the crankcase to the t-fitting... probably need a little less than 2 feet.... and block off everything that plugged into the valve. Should be 2 hoses I think... one to the bottom of the airbox and one vacuum line.. im not sure how similar your bike is to mine .. but yes that will solve your problem!
Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 PM

Yeah ok.

I did that on my '98zx9r but used Muzzy block off plates so there are no hoses anywhere on that bike except the one out of the crankcase and into the back of the airbox. I knew what you were talking about in general, just wanted to be sure you were talking about connecting the hose from the crankcase to the same location I was thinking.

Sweet, stopping buy the auto parts store today for some hose.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:32 PM

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GSE_Anthony
Yeah ok.

I did that on my '98zx9r but used Muzzy block off plates so there are no hoses anywhere on that bike except the one out of the crankcase and into the back of the airbox. I knew what you were talking about in general, just wanted to be sure you were talking about connecting the hose from the crankcase to the same location I was thinking.

Sweet, stopping buy the auto parts store today for some hose.

Let me know how that works out, If it works ill do it and solve the problem before i get to it :YEAH
Old 03-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Originally Posted by KC Tony
Let me know how that works out, If it works ill do it and solve the problem before i get to it :YEAH
i did it on my bike and its great... like i said kills the backfiring from aftermarket exhaust as well.

Quick Reply: need info for zx9r fuel problem