advice for starting 12s

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 03:30 AM

the fast one is an unknown quantity at this point
advice for starting 12s

air presure and everything.

i just got a 93 9 double 0 double R and am using to start 12s and a general stunt bike. i need to know everything about speed ect to start 12s
Old 12-16-2002, 07:41 PM

infamy is an unknown quantity at this point
whats up with people not helping a brother out? if i knew i'd tell you. its not like none of you looked at this thread. outta 78 people who read this none of you can do 12's?????? yeah thats what i thought.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:29 AM

Rocket_Man is an unknown quantity at this point
tech954 is learning 12s I think, I have not tried it yet, try lowering pressure (a little at a time) til it feels right. remember though that you can damage your back rim doing stoppies with low air pressure in your back tire.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:11 PM

the fast one is an unknown quantity at this point
i could see if this was posted on another board nobody answering this ? but come on its called "stuntlife" and i know lots of you people here can do 12's i need help damnit
Old 12-18-2002, 03:43 AM

seriously....how many of you guys brag about scrapin your **** and post pics of 12's , but you cant give a little advice.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:18 PM

kraker is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't brag about doing 12's because I suck and can't do them yet. But my advice would be to get a scrape bar so you don't destroy your tail, and don't crash. I'm in the same boat so good luck to ya:D I think the hardest part is to get over the fear of going past the balance point
Old 12-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator

JackassRR is an unknown quantity at this point
I just started scrapin Sat. Heres some advise I got.
-Had tire arount 14psi. Apply brake pressure then pull the front up keeping pressure on. Look at your tank or gauges when doin it..help keep ya balanced.

I put a bar on but I have to shorten it..Only pic a have so far from Sun.
Good Luck Be safe!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	7621  
Old 12-18-2002, 05:48 PM

psyco650 is an unknown quantity at this point
i want to try 12ing my sv this spring. i am making a bar right now. anyone out there 12ing an sv
Old 12-18-2002, 07:08 PM

nice pic jackassrr , how long did that take you to do it? any crashes learning? do you prefer doin them sittin sown , if so why?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:11 PM

kraker is an unknown quantity at this point
Good job jackassrr Anymore info would be cool. How much pressure are you applying on the brake to start? Does it make the bike come up slower, or is it just for faster response.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:42 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
I bring it up to balance without the brake on. Then I give it a little more gas for a second so it starts to fall over backwards. As soon as I get the falling over bacwards feeling I let off the gas a little and hit the brake lightly.

When you get past the balance point, the bike may start to fall to one side or the other. If that starts happening hit the brake immediately. Going faster makes this happen less. Try to keep your body weight centralized on the bike. Also, once you get a bar try putting your left foot in it. It feels alot more natural because your standing up instead of leaning backwards.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:35 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person
Originally posted by psyco650
i want to try 12ing my sv this spring. i am making a bar right now. anyone out there 12ing an sv
You probably already know this but you might have to something about oil starvation (sp)? I've heard that SV's blow up in long wheelies. Just a thought.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:51 AM

thanks MIKE , good advice. i'd love to see some pics of you 12'n that katana!
Old 12-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator

JackassRR is an unknown quantity at this point
Thx Infamy & Kracker.
I have work to do on 12ing but I tell ya what I learned.
Get an extra stator cover The 2nd day after I learned got wobbly,hit brake,didnt come down right and front end washed out.
It took about 4 hours of ridin b 4 I hit the bar.
I did it 1st sitting I havent tried standing. I hear if you learn sitting then standing comes eaiser. If you learn standing then you have to learn sitting. I dont know personally.
How much brake to use is something I think that u have to get a feel for. I use it b 4 I pull it up.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:39 PM
BEST RIDER EVER

taubr unit is an unknown quantity at this point
The bast way to leard 12's is you GOT to lower tire pressure.......1-you get less tire spin, 2-it helps it ballance. I dont apply the brake till i get up to the ballance point cause the key is to get to the point as SOON as possible, dont try to gain speed then hit, youll prob. ball up. And if it comes up crooked, put it down and try again, its pointless to try and musle it out and ball up then to put it down and try again. And my gearing is 1 down in front and up 7 in rear <---- (dont do this if you wanna go fast). Any more question ask....

Name:	cutout 1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	8154  
Old 12-27-2002, 10:37 PM

GreggV is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by $$ Jerry $$
The bast way to leard 12's is you GOT to lower tire pressure.......1-you get less tire spin, 2-it helps it ballance. I dont apply the brake till i get up to the ballance point cause the key is to get to the point as SOON as possible, dont try to gain speed then hit, youll prob. ball up. And if it comes up crooked, put it down and try again, its pointless to try and musle it out and ball up then to put it down and try again. And my gearing is 1 down in front and up 7 in rear <---- (dont do this if you wanna go fast). Any more question ask....

Good advice..............I run my air pressure at 22 pounds now ,I have been working it up slowly from 16-18psi..........12's are all about the brake control and learn to stay steady on the throttle(dont chop it). Take your time and ask questions or shot someone a PM that has responded to you about this..........you will get a faster response...

Lata
Old 12-27-2002, 10:40 PM

GreggV is an unknown quantity at this point
Also dont worry about a bar yet the plastic is way more forgiving than a bar is.......at first you will not hit it straight ,the bar will kick you to the side.........I am sure you can see where I am going with this................
Old 12-28-2002, 03:03 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Originally posted by infamy
thanks MIKE , good advice. i'd love to see some pics of you 12'n that katana!

Heres a link to the video
Old 12-28-2002, 10:50 PM

Paw Paw is an unknown quantity at this point
....Also, if your gonna do twelves,you might want to buy a cage to protect your case covers. Freestyle Ingenuity builds cages, twelve bars, and extended sliders for all makes and models. Tim Barnes and Patrick Stevens(from Point of Balance) swears by them! for more info, contact:Freestyle Ingenuity@(817) 790-3665 .........ps tell them Keith sent you! lol
Old 12-28-2002, 11:19 PM
Stunt Pimp

Pat-trick is an unknown quantity at this point
they work all right i have tested mine over 30 times and not even a bend or budge.

Name:	fi lef side.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	8351  

Quick Reply: advice for starting 12s