Brake fade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:23 PM
AGGRESSION!

E-DUB OM is a decent person
Brake fade?

Brake fade sucks. I have been noticing alot of brake fade from some of my boys bikes lately. How in the hell do you keep this from happening. Mine has only faded once. I have a steel braided line in the rear. Does that help?
Old 09-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Regular StuntLifer

twist~ROC is an unknown quantity at this point
make sure your brake resevior is full, bleed it a couple of times
Old 09-29-2003, 05:29 PM
AGGRESSION!

E-DUB OM is a decent person
yeah thats what I told them. Flush it all out and fill it up, bleed it, and ride that nukka and hope for the best
Old 09-29-2003, 06:32 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Spark~R.O.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
stick your foot between the swingarm and tire - old skool style
Old 09-30-2003, 03:11 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person
Originally posted by VAN
stick your foot between the swingarm and tire - old skool style

Yeah, you can also do pollish wheelies that way!
Old 09-30-2003, 04:01 AM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point
fade happens because the fluid boils, try going to dot5, it has a higher boiling point. besides that braided lines help because they don't expand as much
Old 09-30-2003, 04:04 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Originally posted by Duffman
fade happens because the fluid boils, try going to dot5, it has a higher boiling point. besides that braided lines help because they don't expand as much
I've heard very bad things about using Dot5.

Just use GOOD Dot4 fluid (dont use junk), make sure they are bled well, and make sure you use GOOD pads. You'll be set. I've never had any brake fade
Old 09-30-2003, 04:35 AM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point
there's different kinds of dot5, silicone based and borate ester based, silicone should be fine but there's good types of 4 also, i think it's called super 4 or something like that. i've never had brake fade on my 750 and it's all stock
Old 09-30-2003, 11:06 AM

sk8man311 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey nags, what bad stuff did you hear about dot5?
Old 09-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep
Originally posted by sk8man311
hey nags, what bad stuff did you hear about dot5?
I have heard it ruins the seals in your brake system, but I thought that was the D.O.T. 5.1, not the D.O.T. 5?
Old 09-30-2003, 11:49 AM

allenr1@xtc is an unknown quantity at this point
i have used the 5.1 for over a year and never had a problem.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Waiting For Email Confirmation

crazy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Go on lockhart phillips and buy some Ferado brake fluid. It is the best money can buy and will withstand a lot more than what you can do with a rear brake riding 12 o clocks. It is designed for racing. You can tell when your sh*t needs changed by the color. If it is clear and nice and new looking it is fine. If it is black and burnt looking get it out of there. There is no real time or anything like that. I have boiled new fluid in one day at the track and it is shot. Make sure you get it bled right with a power bleader or know what your doing. Look at your pads and see if they are all shiny and sh*t. If they are get rid of them. there is no street bike that should have brake fade. These things have bigger brakes than a Volkswagon and weigh 400 pounds. Just keep your sh*t well maintained,your bike and *** will thank you for it.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:53 PM

Swedie is an unknown quantity at this point
my brakepads are WHITE when you look at them as they sit in the brakecaliber...

No longer than 5 minutes and they are fading, which leads to me having to wait 5 minutes for them to cool down a little.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:17 PM

Division1 Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
i used my rear brake soo much this one time my rear rotor was red and the brake pads were smoking.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:21 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Originally posted by jrl750
i used my rear brake soo much this one time my rear rotor was red and the brake pads were smoking.
If thats the case you are using the rear brake too much. For slow 12's you are barely on the rear brake at all.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Waiting For Email Confirmation

crazy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by nags
If thats the case you are using the rear brake too much. For slow 12's you are barely on the rear brake at all.
exactly
Old 09-30-2003, 11:24 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

-Rodger- is an unknown quantity at this point
buy a 66th sprocket and never worry about brake use again.

i love my engine brake.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Rodg C.C.
buy a 66th sprocket and never worry about brake use again.

i love my engine brake.
cheater