f4i losing oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 AM

jbonef4i is a decent person
f4i losing oil pressure

Hey guys so I bought a f4i to upgrade from my f4 and its not working out so well.

I rode it a little bit before putting my parts on it and didnt have any problem. Then the other day I installed my on point pickup relocator and baffel. After this everything seemed to work like normal then after 10-15 minutes of riding my oil light came on when idling at 1400 or less.

I read some other forums and took the pan back off checked my install, the pressure relief, and cleaned out my pickup screen. Once again 10-15 mins of driving and on it came only 1300 or less now.

I did all that once more and .... you get the idea

Anybody else have a problem like this or even any ideas. Also I can idle the bike all day long and the light wont come on, only happens after I drive for a while.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:04 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: f4i losing oil pressure

try adding half a quart extra

the light comes on on 2 wheels right? not on 1?
Old 06-28-2014, 02:12 AM

Hey man. Ya the light is coming on on 2 wheels. Im to scared to take it to the lot with a oil pressure problem. With the pickup and baffel your supposed to be able to run regular oil levels too I thought?
Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by jbonef4i
Hey man. Ya the light is coming on on 2 wheels. Im to scared to take it to the lot with a oil pressure problem. With the pickup and baffel your supposed to be able to run regular oil levels too I thought?
if the light is coming on on 2 wheels, then the pickup itself doesnt have much to do with it. it means youre either low on oil, or the pump isnt pumping.
Now the pump is a real simple mechanism in there, it either works or it doesnt. Since the light isnt on ALL the time, its probably safe to say the pump itself is fine.
I dont know what the on point kit has. If it has its own pickup, is there a possibility of it falling out? If it uses the oem pickup and turns it around, the oil pan will keep it in there tight.

When you refilled the oil, did you use a certain amount that you read somewhere, or did you fill it till it showed up in the sight glass?
If you used a certain amount, did you take into account the oil that drained out of the filter?

Best case scenario: you just need a little more oil.
Worst case: You used too much sealant on the oil pan, and little chunks of it are clogging up the filter.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 PM

Alright good to know you dont think its the pump I didnt feel like pulling it out. I made sure oils at the right level a few times, pulled the filter changed the oil. I also changed the filter and checked the oil one it was all cleqn. Im going to try and rig up a oil pressure gauge if its all good ill just tape up the light. Ill keep you posted. Thanks for the replies man.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:39 PM

UPDATE: So I hooked up a pressure gauge to my bike. On cold start psi read about 40psi as it warmed up it dropped all the way down to 4psi at idle at 194°. Now rhe only spec in the manual is 71psi at 6000 rpm at 185° and minea reading about 30psi.

So in short im losing oil pressure when the oil gets hot. Im not sure why so any pointers would be great.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:55 PM

UPDATE: So I pulled my engine and tore it down. Turns out someone had replaced the crank at one time and decided to use the crank out of a 2000 f4. According to honda these arnt compatible. Anyway it ended up have two really lose bearings and spun two of them.

Now my question is has anyone bought a motor from a salvage yard? Any tips?