fairing repair by beardo

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute
fairing repair by beardo

so this thread is for my little buddy mdub4life29 he asked me how i repair broken plastics...after a brief explanation, he replied "i need a step by step"..lol so Dub ...here ya go
Name:  002-7.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  21.3 KB
Name:  001-5.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  22.3 KB
use plumbers tape and drill 1/8" holes in it, drill the holes before you cut the tape..much easier
Name:  003-7.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  24.7 KB
pre cut the tape to fit your damage
Name:  004-5.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  23.0 KB
use a single rivet in each piece to secure it before drilling an other holes line up the tape as best you can to cover the damage and give you as much bite as posible for each rivet, drill a second hole and fill w/ another rivet to secure tape from moveing.
Name:  005-7.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  24.2 KB
Name:  006-7.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  22.6 KB
once you have all pieces secured in place w/ two rivets you can finnish drilling all the holes and fill w/ rivets
Name:  007-6.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  23.1 KB
grind the area to be repaired so your f.glass will have something to stick to (this can also be done before any rivets are used) then pre cut pieces of f.glass to cover damage area
Name:  008-5.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  25.4 KB
i used tape on the front side to keep the resin from running out and help to fill voids,clean area to be repaired w/ laquer thinner of other chemical that doesnt leave any residue. mix up you resin according to the directions and useing a diposable brush apply to damage and then lay the glass matting, dont skimp on the resin...but dont mix more than you can use in about 5 mins or it will be wasted.

Name:  010-4.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  21.7 KB
after you glass has hrdened you can peel the tape and useing the same 1/8" drill bit , drill JUST the HEADS of the rivets off, then grind or sand damaged area to give the body filler something to stick to
Name:  011-5.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  23.0 KB
again clean area befor applying body filler

Name:  013-5.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  20.3 KB
Name:  014-5.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  16.9 KB
then sand, i used 120, then 220, then 320....prime and paint....
Old 06-03-2010, 11:53 PM
yutt uggghhh

mdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud of
Re: fairing repair by beardo

wtf son whered u get the hook up on side fairings i need some!!! so wait is that plumbing tape. . . . . tape ? it looks hard like erector set(from back in the day) what body filler do u use? and how flexible is it? does it just crack and fall out if u flex it too far? i have a bunch more questions lets blow this thread up with knowledge and answers
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 AM

Jbroski33 is a decent person

Awesome write up
I've also had success welding plastics back together using a 60w soldering iron & zip ties for welding rod. Works on plastic radiator endcaps too
Old 06-04-2010, 02:00 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdub4life29
wtf son whered u get the hook up on side fairings i need some!!! so wait is that plumbing tape. . . . . tape ? it looks hard like erector set(from back in the day) what body filler do u use? and how flexible is it? does it just crack and fall out if u flex it too far? i have a bunch more questions lets blow this thread up with knowledge and answers
not my fairing dub...i have race glass. it is steel tape you buy it at the hardwaere store, its called"plumbers tape" its usually used to secure or hang pipe to the wall. the repair is stronger than the original body parts imo. and if you use some feather fill automotive primer it helps hold any filler in so it doesnt crack and fall out. and to make your body work perfect its not in the bondo work its in the sanding of the primer...... really you just get it close to perfect w/bondo. of coarse you cant make bondo too thick...the thinner the better. its regular ol bondo from auto zone or any paint store.
Originally Posted by Jbroski33
Awesome write up
I've also had success welding plastics back together using a 60w soldering iron & zip ties for welding rod. Works on plastic radiator endcaps too
interesting....never tryed it...might have to just for giggles.... i will rep you in 24 hrs...lol

Last edited by beardo; 06-04-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:06 AM

Josh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to behold

great write up...should be stickied!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

Just think, you always have a fall back plan as a used car sales man hiding ****! lol

That repair looks good, i wonder how good itll hold up, looks like its going to be pretty stiff. I doubt itll see much impact though.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

Originally Posted by NAARDEN INC
Just think, you always have a fall back plan as a used car sales man hiding ****! lol

That repair looks good, i wonder how good itll hold up, looks like its going to be pretty stiff. I doubt itll see much impact though.
i have fixed several f4i tails like this and neve had a prob again... works good! the only reason this fairing broke is cause my buddy didnt drill a big enouph hole for the lower cross bar and it put pressure on the fairing...it wont break again...lol
Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
www.myspace.com/impaktech

Dick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud of

decent yo...im thinking plastic welding then filling is cleaner and just as strong but hey im a glamour stunter and i even care about what the backside of my fairings look like...hahaha
Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

try to plastic weld your fiberglass...hahaha and i doubt its as strong....
Old 06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
www.myspace.com/impaktech

Dick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud of

i was talking about ABS sillyhead...
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM
The Reverend Freestyle

!!A2K!! will become famous soon enough

use flex filler for the front and valley it down with a grinder.....body filler tends to be weak and crack.
http://www.urethanesupply.com/storeepoxy.php

good write up!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

Originally Posted by Dirty Jerzey Alie
great write up...should be stickied!
i really dont think there is any mods here any more to do that is there...lol i never see em n e ways....
Originally Posted by !!A2K!!
use flex filler for the front and valley it down with a grinder.....body filler tends to be weak and crack.
http://www.urethanesupply.com/storeepoxy.php

good write up!
ahhh never heard of it but good looking out.... if you keep the filler thin and use some poly.....whatever primer(feather fill is what i use) it seems to hold up well, that has been my experience anyways....
Old 06-06-2010, 07:42 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Sick write up Beardo. You're right about the mods. There's only 1 left that I know is on the site from time to time. Ima pm him this link and see about making it a sticky I know I got some plastics that I'd like to repair rather than trash so this will definitely help. Now if I could just buy something to make me not lazy I'll get to work on it lol
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM

1997f3 is a decent person

Nice!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
Sick write up Beardo. You're right about the mods. There's only 1 left that I know is on the site from time to time. Ima pm him this link and see about making it a sticky I know I got some plastics that I'd like to repair rather than trash so this will definitely help. Now if I could just buy something to make me not lazy I'll get to work on it lol
you has any one tried this?.... and neal....if you go buy a 20 sack of crystal meth it will make you not lazy for a couple days....lol....j/k.....drugs are bad mmmmmkay!!! you should do drugs....mmmk....
Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
yutt uggghhh

mdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud ofmdub4life29 has much to be proud of

I'm actually doing a 636 tail now
Old 08-12-2010, 12:14 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

good ....post pics nig nog!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 AM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

damn never thought of using rivets and metal strap to secure plastics!

I just always have grooved a V in the plastics using a grinder, then used a soldering iron to melt hte plastics together, then I'd add 4-6 layers of glass to the back ,and 1 layer to the front

but that rivet idea seems like it would be way stronger
Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

it works awsome, stronger than before.....