clearing over spray paint? (paint questions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
clearing over spray paint? (paint questions)

Thinking about painting my bike again on a budget cause its clapped the **** out

Curious if anyone has any recommendations on 'cheaply priced' clear that works over spray paint? I've heard lots of clears will **** spray paint up when its cleared..

Also, is a siphon fed gun good enough to clear with?? Hell for that matter, is it good enough to paint with? What about a gravity fed walmart gun?

I just got my first air compressor, but its tiny, 2 gallons.. BUT it does have a 2hp motor on it that claims 4.7CU at 90psi, and if worst comes to worst, I could borrow my friends 40 gallon 2hp 5.9CU at 90psi compressor

But all I have is a shitty siphon gun, and not wanting to spend a lot of money on a expensive gun, but would get a cheap one if they would do a OK job..

I've always spray bombed my bike and it hasn't turned out too bad, but I'd at LEAST like to clear it with automotive clear, or just do the whole thing with automotive paint...
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Voodoo Animal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: clearing over spray paint? (paint questions)

autozone now has reletively cheap auto paint, thats almost easy to use.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Voodoo Animal
autozone now has reletively cheap auto paint, thats almost easy to use.
ya I'm just wondering mainly if my siphon gun is up to the task, or if I should get a gravity feed gun
It's a low pressure gun, 20-45 psi.. so probably not?

Also wondering if the walmart, or like a cummingstools spray gun would be worth a ****

edit: nevermind my gun is definitely garbage, I didn't even pull it out of the box tell today, someone just gave me it free lol...

I might try a walmart gun, they have this kit for $50
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...dingMethod=rr&

or I might ride down to cummins tools and see what they have

Last edited by Towlieee; 05-25-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:40 PM

zx9rstunter is a decent person

towel why would u not call me u s.o.b.. hit me up tonight and ill help u out.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by zx9rstunter
towel why would u not call me u s.o.b.. hit me up tonight and ill help u out.
I forgot who's account this is

who the **** are you
Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator

Manubi is an unknown quantity at this point

I painted my old 900 rr with a siphon fed gun.. Worked fine..

Use the bigest air pressure compressor u can..

It needs constant even flow of air pressure to spray evenly.

Also make sure u use a good filter in the line.. Water spots r a easy way to ruin a nice paintjob.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator

Manubi is an unknown quantity at this point

also..

google how to paint and youll get a bunch of good tips to read.

thats what i did and it came out amazing

www.myspace.com/manubi911 its the orange n black 900
Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 PM

Topek is a decent person

Harbor frieght gravity gun is like 25 bucks and I painted the last 3 cars and 2 bikes no problems
Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Manubi
I painted my old 900 rr with a siphon fed gun.. Worked fine..

Use the bigest air pressure compressor u can..

It needs constant even flow of air pressure to spray evenly.

Also make sure u use a good filter in the line.. Water spots r a easy way to ruin a nice paintjob.
good to know, my friend said the siphon gun would work great for primer, then I can get a nicer gun for the paint

I got some more work coming up so I'm definitely getting a gun now
Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 AM

Scott982 is a decent person

I typed a really long post that got deleted when I tried to post it and I am too tired to type it up again. If you have any specific questions send me a PM and I will help you out. I paint for a large dealership and have been dong this for a long time.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Scott982
I typed a really long post that got deleted when I tried to post it and I am too tired to type it up again. If you have any specific questions send me a PM and I will help you out. I paint for a large dealership and have been dong this for a long time.
that ******* blows when that happens!

right on i'll hit you up if I have any specific questions

I guess at this point I just need to sign up for a painting forum, and start doing some reading. No use in trying to learn everything about painting on stunt life
Old 05-26-2010, 02:18 PM

**** it just posting a update

decided I'm going all out, it's time I learn to properly paint anyways. Going to buy me a decent price gun, MIGHT end up purchasing a used compressor (so I have two connected together) since mines only 4.9CU at 90psi with a 4 gallon tank.. (already found a 15 gallon 2hp compressor for $50 locally)
Definitely getting a water separator, and going with dual stage metallic paint for my frame, and not sure what I'm doing with the plastics, but I'll worry about them after my frame is done.

I'm definitely in the market for a gun that uses a low amount of air. From what I'm reading, some guns just waste air, and will easily need 12+CU to run, but some guns I read will run fine with 4CU

I will ask this, anyone know of good sources for quality paint for cheap?
Not worried about the best paint in the world.. Right now I'm just purchasing paint for my frame and stuff.. So it's not like it's gonna be sprayed over big flat surfaces, just over the bends and **** in my frame.. wanting a STRONG quality urethane clear coat
Also I'm wanting a metallic or candy color for my frame, I'm thinking something either dark purple, bright green, or bright blue

Last edited by Towlieee; 05-26-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

I got my metallic paint at Napa. It was a lot cheaper than the paint shops. I was under $200 for sealer, base coat (2 colors), and clear coat. This is all paint, no decals.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:37 PM

lol ok another update

been asking around my local painting friends, and two of them both said "dude just bring it to my house I'll paint it for free" lol

one of my friends has a whole paint cabinet full of old paints from cars hes painted.. He pulled out some sick HOK metallic green, and metallic blue and said I can have them free, I just gotta buy clear and primer

So now I'm gonna get a professional paint job for free, and get the paint for free, just pick up some clear and primer

Gonna go metallic blue or green on the frame, and most likely black on the plastics not 100% sure on the plastics yet
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 AM

nhrider90 is a decent person

this is probably gonna sound like a stupid question, but i'm askin it anyways, is there a special paint or primer to use for bike plastics? or would I just use the auto paint they use on car metal?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nhrider90
this is probably gonna sound like a stupid question, but i'm askin it anyways, is there a special paint or primer to use for bike plastics? or would I just use the auto paint they use on car metal?
I used regular car stuff. I did use an adhesion promoter wherever bare plastic was showing before I laid down the primer.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 PM

nhrider90 is a decent person

thanks