Electrical issue: MAIN FUSE BLOWING

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Ham7 is a decent person
Electrical issue: MAIN FUSE BLOWING

2007 Triumph Daytona 675

So today was one long f*in day!!!

Rode to class, bike ran normal, went to get on it to leave class, about 1hr30min later, 70 degrees out indiana weather, put key in nothing!!
No lights, no gauge, no fuel prime, no exup...NOTHING...figured must have left parking lights on, so went home VIA roommate

Check batt voltage on meter, 12.63 volts, put batt oj 2 amp trickle for ten min until it showed green and full charge

Wet back to campus with trailer checked the 6 panel fuses, none blown, aka loaded bike in trailer

Went home, started digging around, pulled tank, checked wire, check batt connection, voltage again! Nothing, call triplethreat!!! he said look at main 30amp fuse! was blown, put new fuse in, bike started fine ran fine in garage. rode to class again, less than 2 ,miles, bike kinda felt under powered, short backfire, check engine light flashed a few times, bike gauges powered off so did motor, once again bike wouldn't start,No lights, no gauge, no fuel prime, no exup...NOTHING...

Thanks to good friends, came with trailer again after a few hours of sitting, took home, triplethreat cam over, had a few ideas to check regarding common wear areas where it could be shorts..ie casting on motor and leftside of ait box coming off ECM. No wear on wire , put back together, new 30amp fuse in. first click acted like didn't have enough power to turn over...like it was cold, gave it a sec, gave a little throttle so it would rev as soon as it cracked, started, ran fine, took for short ride around neighboorhood, no problem, decided to go on back road to rail on it, did a few short wheelies trying to get it to bounce around a bit. Nothing yet, at this point it was pitch dark. riding at about 50 mph, solid yellow check engine light along with solid red oil light came on, and instantly u can guess, lights went black and motor shut off, triple threat and roommate came and picked me up.

Very frustrated, and stumped.....Today, i began my quest to solve problem!

Put a new fuse in for 4th time, as soon as the fuse was placed in a single stream of smoke came from r/r area, i quickly pulled fuse, felt r/r, was warm already from literally 5 seconds of power to it.

Disconnected plugs and began my diagnosis.

tested r/r, when looking at the 3 and 4 pin harness clip side up, i numbered the terminals in a grid style clockwise 1,3,2,4..the three pin clockwise single pin at top, 1,3,2 . when my meter was on ohms, the 4 pin and 3 pin numbers in the sequence (4 pin first, then 3pin) 1&3 read .3ohms, pin 2&3 .2ohm. 3&3 read 15.6 ohm, 4&3 read 15.6ohm. All other pins didn't read anything.

Stator read 1-2: .4ohm, 2-3:.4ohm, 3-1: .4ohm
Think its ok! i hope!!

When checking the r/r, i was checking between the two plugs, ie 1-a, 1-b...and so on they all read nothing like the meter was set to ohms but the leads weren't touching anything, it flashed a number on them all, but then instantly returned to the look of when the leads aren't touching anything. only one pin of the 3 pin harness gave readings, when touching the red wires it gave nearly zero, when touching the same wire in three pin harness to black wires of 4 pin, it gave 15.6 ohms on both wires.

When checking the stator, with the leads touching two pins of the stator output wires, (ie, the ones coming from stator, they ready close to zero) when checking each wire to ground they read like nothing, like the meter wasn't touching anything, but was turned on and set to ohms...open i assume..?

Also, when i put the fuse back in after i saw the smoke, i checked the voltage with nothing on, key in off position, read 4.3 volts. Touched r/r felt warm after 5 seconds. Gauges didn't turn on either, i assume not enough power to run them.
Pulled batt out, checked it, 11.8v

Should i put plug r/r back in, put fuse in, put tank back on and try to start to see voltage?

I charged batt, 12.5v sitting, put in bike r/r unplugged, 12.5 key off, 11.96 key on, lights and gauges on.

plugged in r/r, big *** arch of blue spark, so i took 30amp main fuse out, plugged in r/r, as i put the main fuse in, another big hot *** blue spark. Once in, r/r warmed immediately, 10.99v key on, soon as its unplugged, back to 12.5v key off, and 11.96 key on.

This damn r/r has to be shot right?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 AM

colttonn83 is a decent person
Re: Electrical issue: MAIN FUSE BLOWING

Sorry no idea......

Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM

JJMLOP is a decent person
Re: Electrical issue: MAIN FUSE BLOWING

I know I'm about 4 years late to this post but did you ever figure out what the problem is? I'm having the exact same problem. I'm guessing it's the regulator portion of the R/R? Please help