locked up 600rr??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
locked up 600rr??

My friends 600rr started making like a small ticking sound, he says it sounded like a bolt was loose. I didn't hear it myself, but an experienced friend said it sounded like the cam chain tensoner... It was obviously coming from the right side of the motor

Next day he started it, made it about a half mile from home, his bike just died, nothing, dead.

He assumed it was the battery so charged it, it still wouldn't turn over... So I attempted to jump it, nothing.. So I decided to try and spin the crank.. locked up

I recently changed the clutch in it, about 500 miles ago, so I popped the clutch cover off, everything appears perfect... crank still wont budge. The cam chain feels tight, but it's kind of difficult to access, but it feels solid.

The oil pump has about 1/4-3/8" or so of freeplay, but he said it didn't lose oil pressure at any time..

Currently we are stumped, any advice?? Currently my plan is to pop the stator cover off and inspect, then gonna pop the air box off to make sure oil didn't somehow make it up there, then if we still can't find nothing, drop the radiator/header and then the oil pan..
Old 06-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Came back-it's still wack

TongWoo will become famous soon enough
Re: locked up 600rr??

Ahhhh man, that sucks...what year and how many miles?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

05 16,000 miles

Ok so the motor is turning, but it takes a HELL of a lot more force then my f4i's motor to turn..

Considering the starter wouldn't start it when hooked up to a car with jumper cables though, I don't think its right.

I'm gonna throw my battery in it and see if the starter starts it.. If not I guess its back to pulling **** apart
Old 06-23-2009, 07:11 PM

ok so after cranking the motor over with a ratchet on the crank, we put my battery in it, and tried starting it

the starter spun the motor for like a 1/2 second then stopped.. I manually turned the crank, and hit the starter again, and it cranked for like 1 full second..

Think it's a rod bearing?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Came back-it's still wack

TongWoo will become famous soon enough

It might be a rod bearing... Woulda been clanking like hell before it locked. Sounds like something mechanical if it's that hard to turn. With luck, you'll be able to drop the pan and do the rod bearings and that's it. I hate plastigauging ****, lol
Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Drained the oil, I catched some in a clean jar, but he just changed the oil and only put about 5 miles on it before it stopped..

I can't tell, but it looks like theres TINY gold and silver metal particles...

Not sure htough, hard to tell if it's just bubbles in the oil or if it is metal flakes..

Guess we just gotta drop the pand and see if the pan has flakes
Old 06-23-2009, 07:52 PM

blah after letting this mason jar full of oil settle, on the bottom you can now see TONS of gold metal particles

Looks like it's time for him to find a new motor, unless we could just attempt installing new rod bearings?? Or is that a waste of time?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Never Good Enuff

chipottley is a decent person

it's prolly gonna be a waste of time. when bearings go bad, the metal shavings get pumped throughout the entire engine, so if you wanna replace the bearings only, you still have to clean ALL of the engine internals (something you won't be able to do w/the motor in it).

I've tried to do bearings only (without removing/cleaning the engine), and it was a fu-king disaster!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM
it is what it is

serious is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Towlieee
blah after letting this mason jar full of oil settle, on the bottom you can now see TONS of gold metal particles

Looks like it's time for him to find a new motor, unless we could just attempt installing new rod bearings?? Or is that a waste of time?

Yeah, it's a waste of time. sorry man.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:39 PM

ya hes in the market for a new motor

figured we'd probably spend $150 on gaskets and bearings, plus paying me for labor, and it still might end up not running, or blowing up fast again so **** it

Makes me nervous about my f4i.. 35k miles, seen rev limiter regularly! good thing I change my oil every 500-1500...

Hell made me soo nervous I also changed the oil in my car yesterday, even though it was changed 300 miles ago! 210k on my car, I don't want it to blow up on me