2001 GSX-R 600 wiring connector question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM

doylemisfit is a decent person
2001 GSX-R 600 wiring connector question

hey brand new to the forums here. whats up?!

but i just bought a 2001 gsxr 600 from a friend, that was in pieces... was riding a couple weeks prior but im having some trouble putting the wiring back togeather. mainly the clutch wire, which keeps blowing its fuse, so i stuck in a higher 30amp fuse and bypassed it with just some metal wire...which got red hot... so i cut it off...

but this isn't the only problem, i also have 2 connectors that i have no clue where they go, or what they do. i have pictures, but they're the Yellow connector under the tank (has like 10 or so wires in it) and a black split connector (has 2 wires) here are the pics.

i have most of the connectors hooked up, the headlights aren't yet, ordered a streetfighter light, signal lights aren't hooked up. taillight is, with LED bulbs. the odometer is hooked up so i can see if its even getting power which it is. its cutting on, lights up, turn the key and dies.

any help is appreciated, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse box.JPG
Views:	5671
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	225609   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring connectors.JPG
Views:	1085
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	225610   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring mess.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	225611  
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 AM
control switcher

Dr_Rip_It will become famous soon enough
Re: 2001 GSX-R 600 wiring connector question

that yellow connector plugs into your left hand controls like headlight and horn switches. im not sure about the black one. and the connector with your fuse block goes into your clutch saftey switch. i had the same problem with my gsxr fuses where blowing. dont stick a higher amp fuse or a soild wire in to the fuse slot it will burn your harness up. then you really got problems to fix.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:24 AM

thanks. yeah i stripped a lot off this build because im wanting to make a stunt bike, with less junk as possible on it, and still be legal.

i think i can still start it without the yellow connector, which is the horn and headlight like you said. makes sense, because i dont even have those switches. but i do have the kill/start switch. but now the only thing i gota ID is that black 2 wire switch. duno what that goes to.

but I can still attach the clutch and brake line wires, thats not a problem i'll just split the harness and adjust it. the problem i'm facing now is why the fuse keeps blowing... for the clutch.. i can't understand it. it is the Clutch fuse.... pictured i have the 30 amp in it... but if i put the 15 amp in it, it blows every time. when i have the key in to ignition and just when i squeeze in the clutch.

but the only thing i can think of that maybe some wires are grounding out somewhere? anyone got any ideas?

thanks again
Old 05-29-2009, 05:08 AM
control switcher

no you cant start it without your clutch healight and horn switch hooked up. im almost sure the engine will not turn over with out that connector hooked up. i tryed the same thing and it didnt start. you dont have to have that circle connector hooked up to run the bike. it will run without the guages hooked up ie that circle connector.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 AM

sweet. thanks A LOT man got it going, rode today. going to replace the air box with 4 small air filters if i can find them online. i'll get pics up asap. full cage, street fighter lights and some others are in the mail. should be good.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
control switcher

what was the black connector hooked to? or didnt you have to hook it up?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 AM

the 2 wire black split connector, i have no idea what it is, or where it goes. but i dont have my front headlight/fairing... just a street fighter light. but if you find out let me know what it is.

i just won 4 K&N filters on ebay that i'm going to attach directly to the trottle bodies and completely remove the airbox.

i got renthal bars on it now, and have a braided front brake line.

and now im playing with color schemes on photoshop have rear, and right side fairing, need a left, and dont want a front or wheel fairing,

full cage kit is coming in, along with a rear brake lever kit im making.

im thinkin..... rasta bike. ;-) i will have pics of the bike up, then i'll have color pics when shes done.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:58 AM
control switcher

sounds like the bike will be awsome looking. but if i figure out what the black wire goes to ill post it up.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 AM
it is what it is

serious is an unknown quantity at this point

could that black connector be for the clutch pull-in safety switch? It looks the same as my TLR's.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 PM
control switcher

^^no thats a smaller connector on the clutch saftey. but that connector is black 2