F4i Front brakes Locking up problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:17 AM

undercvr_skank is a decent person
F4i Front brakes Locking up problem

i changed my front master back to a stock one after i wrecked and broke the zx6r one. bled it and everything iand it seamed like it worked good. took it for a test ride and it worked fine. next thing the front brakes slowly started engaging and it locked up all the way. it was stuck. the only way for me to release it was to open up the bleeder valve to let the fluid out. and its free again. if i use the front brakes again itll slowly lock up again. whats the problem? i need help! thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Re: F4i Front brakes Locking up problem

no one??? help!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person

Dont overfill the resi
Old 01-18-2009, 06:42 PM

even with the res cover open it still does it
Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

make sure you dont have oil on your rotors. Somethings definaly heating up and causing the brake fluid expansion
Old 01-18-2009, 09:03 PM

crashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura about

You must have air in the lines. The Way some of the racers told me to bleed a system is break open the banjo bolts and bleed them from there as well and the bleeder valves.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
make sure you dont have oil on your rotors. Somethings definaly heating up and causing the brake fluid expansion
Brake fluid doesn't expand that much.
Originally Posted by crashtest 750
You must have air in the lines. The Way some of the racers told me to bleed a system is break open the banjo bolts and bleed them from there as well and the bleeder valves.
Air in the lines won't cause the brakes to lock up it willjust make them spongy. Swap out the master and see if that fixes it. Sounds like the master isn't letting the system bleed off pressure and let the pads get pushed back out by the rotors.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 PM

yeah some guys on another forum says its probably the master.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 AM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Originally Posted by NINER
Ive seen brakes overheat and lock up because there was fluid on the rotor. Not saying this is he problem but you start with the easiest and most obvious first
Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 AM

crashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NINER

Air in the lines won't cause the brakes to lock up it willjust make them spongy. Swap out the master and see if that fixes it. Sounds like the master isn't letting the system bleed off pressure and let the pads get pushed back out by the rotors.
Air expands when it gets hot. The fluid get hot from breaking hence the air gets hot. You are right about the spongy feeling but the master only puts pressure into the system when the lever is pulled. The only way the pads whould be against the rotors is if the two way in the master is not relieve the pressure.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 AM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Air expands when it gets hot. The fluid get hot from breaking hence the air gets hot. You are right about the spongy feeling but the master only puts pressure into the system when the lever is pulled. The only way the pads whould be against the rotors is if the two way in the master is not relieve the pressure.
I had a friend that wrecked on some back roads. He ripped the reservoir off the front master and spilled brake fluid on the rotors. He was driving down 95, not even using the brakes cruising at 80 MPH and he noticed the bike starting to lose power. Right when he pulled off the highway the front wheel locked up and almost made him wreck. He had to loosen the bleeder to let pressure off the system.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 AM

so i gotta bleed it again. clean the rotors. what about the pads? what did your buddy do to fix it?

Last edited by undercvr_skank; 01-19-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Originally Posted by undercvr_skank
so i gotta bleed it again. clean the rotors. what about the pads? what did your buddy do to fix it?
Well I was saying make sure theres nothing on the rotor first. This may not be the problem but it only takes a second to check. Yeah you need to brake clean the rotors and pads. You should take the pads out of the calipers but if you could probably get by with spraying eveything down.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Air can also be compressed. It wouldn't lock up the brakes.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 PM

so what should i do??????
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Retired

Swap out the master, bleed the system and see if that fixes it. Borrow the master off a friends bike if you don't have any spares to test out.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

jeezus dood, im done
Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 AM

lol...i dont know when i posted that. probably when i was in a rush this morning or something. yeah i was going to mess with it this weekend. it started snowing here. waiting for my buddy to be free so i can use his master. been so busy with work. im gonna clean the rotors and pads also. ill let you guys know how it goes. thanks for all the help.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:56 AM

finally go my hands on a master. same one i had when i wrecked. 08 zx6r. and it works fine now. i only rode it around the block so far and its just fine. ill ride tomorrow for a bit to be sure its all good. thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Retired

finally go my hands on a master. same one i had when i wrecked. 08 zx6r. and it works fine now. i only rode it around the block so far and its just fine. ill ride tomorrow for a bit to be sure its all good. thanks guys!
Send $10 for the advice to niner1190 at yahoo dot com.

Quick Reply: F4i Front brakes Locking up problem