using car anti-freeze in a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM

AcingTeam is a decent person
using car anti-freeze in a bike?

Hey guys, has anyone used a regular 50/50 car anti-freeze in a bike? I was told it was ok to do so... so I filled it up, but it keeps dissapearing. There are no leaks, but it just seems like I keep adding more and more of it and it just goes away. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the anti-freeze itself. I'm going to be switching to a bike specific one, I'm wondering if there could be any defects after using a car anti-freeze. Thanks!!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM

joe98 is a decent person
Re: using car anti-freeze in a bike?

thats all i ever use. How hot is your bike getting
Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 PM

Well I was in the process of replacing the radiator. Now that I'm done, I filled it with this 50/50 anti-freeze... I only rode a few time with it. It seems to not get hot. However, I don't know where the coolant disappears.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

the 50/50 **** is a rip-off, buy the regular orange **** and a gallon of distilled water
Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

Did you burp the system???
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

you might have a very small hole at the top of the radiator and it wont leak or drip but it will let out steam and that will cause your coolant level to drop ..
Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
you might have a very small hole at the top of the radiator and it wont leak or drip but it will let out steam and that will cause your coolant level to drop ..

Hmmmm... I'll check for any holes in the radiator... should be easy to spot when it's hot. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 50Outlaw
Did you burp the system???
What's burping the system? Draining it?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:41 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

no... when you fill the radiator let it run for awhile with the cap off to get all the air out

Last edited by 50Outlaw; 10-01-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by AcingTeam
What's burping the system? Draining it?
it just means getting all the air out of the radiator ..

start the bike and run it for a minute or two with the cap off , give it a little rev here and there
Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

i just changed mine with the car anti freeze..i just keep fillin it up untill it stoped going away
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 PM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

Anti-freeze is anti-freeze. There is no such thing as "motorcycle specific". Some companies may have motorcycle antifreeze, but it is only a label.

Personally, I prefer to use Japanese antifreeze form Toyota. It's the red stuff. It contains additives that are non-corrosive to aluminum. There are American manufactures that just recently (past few years) started using this non-corrosive additive but I don't know them off the top of my head.

If you have "burped" the system, and you don't see any external leaks, then you are losing the coolant internally.

Most common cause is a leaking head gasket or a cracked cylinder. Not trying to be an alarmist, but keep an eye on the coolant level. If it is continuing to decrease, then you need to start doing some in depth checking.

The coolant is going somewhere....it just does not "disappear".
Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ToKwik
Anti-freeze is anti-freeze. There is no such thing as "motorcycle specific". Some companies may have motorcycle antifreeze, but it is only a label.

Personally, I prefer to use Japanese antifreeze form Toyota. It's the red stuff. It contains additives that are non-corrosive to aluminum. There are American manufactures that just recently (past few years) started using this non-corrosive additive but I don't know them off the top of my head.

If you have "burped" the system, and you don't see any external leaks, then you are losing the coolant internally.

Most common cause is a leaking head gasket or a cracked cylinder. Not trying to be an alarmist, but keep an eye on the coolant level. If it is continuing to decrease, then you need to start doing some in depth checking.

The coolant is going somewhere....it just does not "disappear".
Very informative, thanks. I have filled the radiator and the reservoir to the top and burped the system. Then I took it for a 20 minute ride around town, redlining a few times. I have checked the coolant level and it's still were it was when I first filled it up (slightly decreased in the reservoir). I'll keep an eye out on the coolant. Hopefully it won't go lower. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Back to North Carolina...

weirdsteve is a decent person

i have straight tap water in mine and it cools just fine.....i'll have to fill it with a/f before winter.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 PM

if u want the bike to run even cooler use the water wetter..i used it in my car and that stuff works!!u run a lot cooler
Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by weirdsteve
i have straight tap water in mine and it cools just fine.....i'll have to fill it with a/f before winter.
straight water can cause erosion