How to fix a Rim leaking air?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:23 PM

Vern is an unknown quantity at this point
How to fix a Rim leaking air?

Hey my rim leaks air since I changed my tire, it has a dent in the rim but I hammered it back in place. The only way to keep air in is by putting a lot of pressure but then I cant wheelie the bike goes everywhere. AS soon as I take a bit out I lose everything. Is there any type of rim sealer available or should I just F#$@ it and buy a new one?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:26 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: How to fix a Rim leaking air?

clean the bead first with a wire brush
Old 12-03-2006, 01:02 AM

jsteezy is an unknown quantity at this point

i dunno man, if you cant get the bead to seal id replace it. its just not worth saving the money if its leaking like that.

every time you try to hammer it back into place it makes it weaker. that bend could eventually crack.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:47 PM

J-cheezy is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
clean the bead first with a wire brush

+1 roger is old listen to him
Old 12-03-2006, 04:57 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

yea damn it now where did i leave my teeth
Old 12-03-2006, 06:59 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

throw some slime in there... or JB weld
Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

actually JB weld might not be such a bad idea, if you put some saran wrap over it so the tire doesn't stick to it?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
also known as OMR

what are you talking about
Old 12-03-2006, 07:39 PM

hahahahaa... JB weld fixes everything right?

what are you supposed to do after you clean it with a wire brush?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:36 AM
also known as OMR

believe it or not that usualy fixes it ....or cleans off the crap so you can see the big crack or the scratch you put in it when changing a tire
Old 12-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

had the same problem with my gixxer.... use a bigger hammer.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:53 AM

J-cheezy is a decent person

Originally Posted by Street Warrior
hahahahaa... JB weld fixes everything right?

what are you supposed to do after you clean it with a wire brush?

if you dont see any cracks than put your tire back on sometimes the trash that gets left behind can keep the tire from sealing
Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StrictlyStunt
use a bigger hammer.
+1

Old 12-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

Big o tire/ Discount tire or any tire installing company, walk up to one the tire guys and slip em $5 and tell them to put a glob of bead sealer in a zip lock back u hand them with the $5.00
Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
Big o tire/ Discount tire or any tire installing company, walk up to one the tire guys and slip em $5 and tell them to put a glob of bead sealer in a zip lock back u hand them with the $5.00
Your the man, may save me 150$
Old 12-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

theres also a shop here in az that fix's wheels for like 30-40$.. after shipping and everything prolly have a fixed wheel for $80

They are called fast track (ask for Dave).. they can do rotors and subframes n **** to so.. look into it if u got lots of bent ****.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vern
Hey my rim leaks air since I changed my tire, it has a dent in the rim but I hammered it back in place. The only way to keep air in is by putting a lot of pressure but then I cant wheelie the bike goes everywhere. AS soon as I take a bit out I lose everything. Is there any type of rim sealer available or should I just F#$@ it and buy a new one?
i did the same on my f4i, it had been welded up the bead, i had to clean the wels=d and used i light beas of silicon 4" each way along the inside of the lip, let the silicon set up 100% first,ive ran 5 tirs on it w/o any issues
Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 AM

Catman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
theres also a shop here in az that fix's wheels for like 30-40$.. after shipping and everything prolly have a fixed wheel for $80

They are called fast track (ask for Dave).. they can do rotors and subframes n **** to so.. look into it if u got lots of bent ****.
+1
There is a guy here in town also that fixes wheels. Straightens them
A crack or a bend in the lip is simple dimple for those guys. He usualy does aluminum and mag wheels from cars. There is a shop or 2 around most everywhere that does it.It is a huge buisness !!! I'de look into it even if you get a new wheel. Fix it and you got's 2
Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

I'll never waste money fixing a rim ever again, the dents just come back so much easier after its been straightened. And they come back much worse!..

Name:  DSC01147.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  18.4 KB
Old 12-05-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I'll never waste money fixing a rim ever again, the dents just come back so much easier after its been straightened. And they come back much worse!..

Depends how bad it is I guess mine's not that bad you can barely see a lump. The air just leaks all around.

Quick Reply: How to fix a Rim leaking air?