wheelies on a r6

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 02:37 AM

R6trix is an unknown quantity at this point
wheelies on a r6

have a some problems i was told to ride the clutch alittle then pop it but then some one said i may loose control of the bike that way if some one knows a diffent way can i get a little help...
Old 04-23-2003, 02:56 AM
1 footer wheelies!

Sillyneck is an unknown quantity at this point
if you've never wheelied before just practice roll ons for a while

basically bring the motor up to power band in 1st gear then PIN it. see what happens. if it comes up ride it out and you can practice getting higher and more control as you get comfortable.

if it doesn't come up then try the clutch technique. basically you are just trying to jolt some extra top end power out of the motor while going slow. try going about 20 mph in 1st (assuming you have stock gearing) then pull the clutch in bring it up a few thousand rpms then dump the clutch out but do it somewhat smoothly and hang on. cover the rear brake too!
Old 04-23-2003, 01:57 PM

smb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^^ don't listen to this

If you pin it in first, you better be awfully excited about wadding it up. People think that because it's 'only' a 600 it won't bite.

I do not know why people suggest learning to wheelie in first. It's the most dangerous way to be doing wheelies!

Clutching.. in 1st? That was some really shitty advice too. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO CLUTCH IT IN SECOND.

Learn the 'bounce' technique -- there are threads about this on this board. Here's what I do on my 00 R6:

2nd gear, 40-45mph, constant throttle. Stand up on the pegs.. not full leg extension, keep your knees bent some. Roll the throttle on about 1/2 until you hit around 50-55mph. Now, here is the part to pay attention to: Close the throttle almost all of the way. At the SAME TIME, bounce your weight on the footpegs. DO NOT, absolutely do NOT try to bounce your weight on the front end. RIGHT after you bounce, open the throttle up a decent amount. Bam, you're airborn. Do NOT pull on the clipons. Do not try to tug them up, it will do nothing except a) make your front wheel come up crooked, b) bring your body weight over the front end (the physics behind this is not imaginary, it's a closed system so you aren't pulling the bike back at all).

I suggest keeping your legs bent some and your knees bent some. The further back your body is, the lower the balance point. The further forward, the higher, obviously. If you do it like this, you can have them up and balanced at 85mph and cruise it.

This can also be done in 3rd gear WITH STOCK SPROCKETS. I can barely get them up in 3rd because my front forks have a very high amount of preload, high compression damping, and high rebound damping -- setup for twistie riding. The reason this technique works is from the rebound of the front forks. If you set them up with low compression damping and low rebound damping, it makes it easier. People can do them in 4th gear on a R6, no lies.

Practice this technique in 4th gear at the same speeds because the front wheel will not come up. You can focus on technique and timing rather than worrying about actually getting the wheel up.

If you want to pick them up at lower speeds in 2nd gear, you need to a) lower your gearing, b) use the clutch. I don't ever clutch wheelies because this is my only bike and I really don't want to destroy my transmission. If it only hurt the clutch, I wouldn't care. But it puts tremendous strain on the dogteeth. Ever wonder why so many people complain about 2nd gear going out? Now you know why. They strip the dogteeth and it will no longer it engage.

Stay away from first gear. Little power wheelies in first gear are cool... ****, I admit I've done first gear stand ups. But it's not the right gear to be playing OR learning in. And NEVER NEVER use the clutch. I hope you read my post before you go out and try clutching them in first like Sillyneck suggested because if you tried that, chances are your bike is already broken. Using the clutch in first gear is for 12 oclock wheelies only. You're obviously not trying to do that.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:00 PM

BTW:

I have stock gearing on my R6. It's jetted (Ivans) and has a slipon (who cares, they only make sound). I can chop the throttle in first gear going 15mph and bring it up to near the balance point if I want. The low RPM response is attributed to my excellent jetting, but it proves the power is on tap. Unless your bike is missing on two cylinders, you can do the same.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:16 PM

R6trix is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx bro im going to give it a wing and see what happens..
Old 04-23-2003, 06:12 PM
1 footer wheelies!

only reason why I say practicing this stuff in 1st is because the speeds are slower (hence less death) and you can get a feel for the front end being off the ground.

if you are just cruising along at power band then give the throttle a rip it's not gonna be uncontrollable and you'll still be going way slower than in second...now if you are at powerband then chop the throttle to bounce it up then you will most likely go up and over if you pin it.

the other reason why I say clutch is good is because you can be going 10 mph or less and pop the front end up...good way to get a feel for heigth.

most people don't jump on a bike and ride a wheelie for miles in second gear when they are learning. just my opinion. not trying to ruffle any feathers.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:03 AM

Think of it like this:

Assume you just whack the throttle open in the powerband in first. The front is going to be coming up pretty high at 50mph on a R6. It'll come up at 25-30mph under wide open. The thing is, with an in-line 4, the power band is not linear, it's progressive. So it starts to come up a little..more throttle right? Bam, now your power has increased substantially in a non linear fashion and you're over.

First gear is WAY too twitchy. 2nd gear is much smoother. If you get the front end coming up in 2nd gear at 50mph, especially doing a standup, it's a lot smoother and more predictable. And, I think most people feel that standups are easier because you can adjust your weight and therefore C of G (and thus, balance point).

It's a lot scarier riding a first gear wheelie to 70mph than it is popping them up in 2nd going 50mph.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:42 AM
1 footer wheelies!

I see your point. makes a lot of sense.

I came from a dirt bike back ground so slow wheelies felt better at first. once I could balance point 40 mph wheelies on the gix I started working on faster ****.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:28 PM

Chuc0076 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up I'm w/ Sillyneck 1st gear for newbies

For one, most people don't start off doing stand-ups when they are first trying to learn wheelies. Why? I don't know, but all the newbies I see that are trying to learn wheelies, are SITTING DOWN.

With that said, on to the R6. The R6 does come up in 2nd gear while sitting down, true, HOWEVER you have to get on the gas and clutch pretty hard to get it up high enough to keep it up. R6's DO NOT have the luxury of having a **** load of horsepower to play around with in 2nd gear, especially for a newbie. For instance a newbie tries a wheelie in 2nd (SITTING DOWN cause that’s what they do), gets his/hers speed up pulls the clutch in, gasses it, dumps it, then POW!!! the front end comes up about a foot. A half second later the newbie turn on the gas to keep the wheel up and he/she can't keep it up w/ the power he has. He/she tries again, and the same thing happens. The newbie just can't get it up high enough fast enough to let the R6's power keep it up. The newbie gets pissed after trying and trying, over and over. The newbies buddies tell newbie “you got to get it higher dude to keep it up, get it higher, get it higher.” One day the newbie goes out tries again and no luck. In the back of newbies virgin mind he/she hears the buddies “you got to get it higher dude to keep it up, get it higher, get it higher.” Newbie says ****it i'll get the thing higher, pulls away, shift to 2nd gains speed, grabs the clutch, grabs a hand full of gas and WHAM!!!! the bike comes up so fast that newbie is straight up and down. Newbie freaks out he/she feels like they are falling off the bike, so they try and pull them self up with the handle bars and actually pulls even more gas. Well I’m sure you can finish it from there.

I would like to add a few other things too. If you start out in 2nd gear on an R6 going ONLY 50mph (which to a newbie is kinda fast) get the front end up and it does come back to far and they let of the gas is there going to be enough RPMs built up to pull the front end back down (like when your using the back brake)?? NO. If it does have enough RPMs to pull you down is the newbie going to have enough throttle control to not let off too much? NO.

Now why 1st gear is the best gear to learn how to ride wheelies. First I totally agree with sillyneck start practicing roll on wheelies, but when he says PIN it you don't really have to PIN it (well for an R6 maybe). Bigger bikes will have the power to just roll in to the gas and bring up the front wheel, R6’s you might have to give a little tug. As for clutching it, start off in 1st and start accelerating up to about 5grand just a nice pace, nothing extremely fast, just a nice smooth acceleration. WHILE accelerating pull in the clutch, grab a little bit of gas (so the RPMs jump up about 2-3 grand higher than where you were before pulling in the clutch), and let the clutch rip (not a complete dump but a very very fast release). Even if the front end doesn't come up all that much you'll get used to the JERK of clutching it. After you get used to that, and you can get the front end up, then up higher each time, you will have plenty of power to raise the front wheel higher if your that comfortable. Why? cause your in 1st. Remember as sillyneck said "most people don't jump on a bike and ride a wheelie for miles in second gear when they are learning." Most of the newbie's wheelies ARE NOT going to have the front wheel very high to start with, not even close to any balance point. However once they get more confident they can go higher and higher, until they get used to the feeling of the bike wanting to "walk out for underneath." Even if they do go to high, for one its not going to get that high very fast if they take baby steps and get comfortable before they push it farther, second 1st gear will have the gear (downshifting affect) behind them to pull the front end down fast (like standing on the rear break). Another plus to learning wheelies in 1st is THROTTLE CONTROL. Once a newbie learns this it will help out his/her riding all around. Every newbie that is learning to ride wheelies know that they get it up in 2nd it comes up to high so they back off the gas and it falls too much to get it back up. THROTTLE CONTROL will help once they graduate to 2nd gear wheelies, cause the newbie’s reaction will be smoother. If you can ride a high smooth wheelie in first gear, then second gear will be long and strong one. Granted 2nd gear wheelies are smoother and easier to control once you learn to ride one. But I still think first is the way to go for a newbie.

Peace out suckers
Old 04-24-2003, 03:03 PM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditto...
Old 04-24-2003, 04:36 PM

NCLR1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Totall agree with learning in first as well. It's slower, kind of a low impact way, regardless if you clutch it or not. Also, I have never met or heard of anyone who learned how to wheelie in 2nd bouncing it up on any bike. I would have loved to learn that way. But the bounce technique is very hard to learn. If you don't know how it feels with your front end in the air, how will you be comfortable when bouncing 2nd finally comes up? You won't, and that being such a testy method of wheeling, it will take a long time to learn. Not to mention that they will probaly go out to the most common high speed surface to practice......the freeway. Which I would totally recommend against, learning or not. The freeway is fun, wrecking sucks, but wrecking on the freeway sucks the big one. Also, it sucks for everyone else that sits at the next off ramp gas station to hear if your alive or not and are the cops coming this way.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:45 PM
1 footer wheelies!

thanks for the back guys! I didn't want to stand my ground to firmly here cause I'm new.

Old 04-25-2003, 08:54 PM

Re: I'm w/ Sillyneck 1st gear for newbies

Originally posted by Chuc0076
For one, most people don't start off doing stand-ups when they are first trying to learn wheelies. Why? I don't know, but all the newbies I see that are trying to learn wheelies, are SITTING DOWN.
Thus they are newbies that NEED GUIDANCE.

Whose fault is it if a newbie decides to try beyond his limits and crashes? His -- for not taking it slowly.

But the whole clutch issue you argued: THIS IS WHY I RECOMMEND THE BOUNCE METHOD, ESPECIALLY FOR LEARNING. Clutching is unpredictable until you LEARN how much to clutch it. And by learning how much to clutch, it might mean you learn how much is an instant loop. Clutching is NOT for newbies.

Also, you DO NOT GIVE ANY BIKE A TUG to do wheelies.

I've explained this before, but I will explain WHY tugging on the clipons DOES NOTHING BUT BAD.

When you are sitting/standing on the bike, it's a closed system. Yes, the physics of wheelies! Try this: go stand on top of your car and try to tug the car up in the air. Sorry, you won't, you just end up pulling yourself down. Similarly, the bike is heavier than you are, so you just pull yourself towards the front of the bike. Wow, great, more weight over the front end.

Besides that, the front wheel will come up crooked! You know it and I know it.

If you mean give it a LEAN BACK, say LEAN BACK. But absolutely DO NOT PULL ON THE ****ING CLIPONS. DO NOT! Lean your weight -- fine. If that's what you mean, then say what you mean and mean what you say.

As for clutching it, start off in 1st and start accelerating up to about 5grand just a nice pace, nothing extremely fast, just a nice smooth acceleration. WHILE accelerating pull in the clutch, grab a little bit of gas (so the RPMs jump up about 2-3 grand higher than where you were before pulling in the clutch), and let the clutch rip (not a complete dump but a very very fast release).
Honestly now, what kind of idiot tells a newb to clutch a regular wheelie in first gear? Sure, if he's doing highchairs, clutch it -- he's not a newb if he's doing highchairs anyway. But for ****s sake, why do you tell someone to CLUTCH a first gear wheelie when it can be done on throttle alone -- and more predictable? I can chop the throttle at 20 mother****ing mph on my R6 and the front up will snap up just fine. STOCK GEARING.

I never said he should go out and try to walk a 2nd gear standup. The front will pop up and he WILL get scared and put it back down right away. Just like he would do in 1st! The only difference is it won't come up as fast (especially if he were to clutch it, god forbid).

ALSO, the bounce is EASY TO LEARN. I just said how to do it! ****, it doesn't get much more simple than that. I had to learn how to do it on my own -- that was hard. It's not hard when you have a step by step guide. Especially when you can see it in videos to get an idea of how it works.

Since you'd have loved the luxury of learning that way, I think it says a lot about how newbs should learn. I learned in 1st gear and now I'm amazed I didn't destroy my bike. 1st gear just is not the gear for a newbie to play around in.

Where people practice their wheelies is their own decision. If they don't have the discretion to learn how to do it on backroads and try it in the freeway, that's their fault. Seriously, if people are going to be total ****ing idiots, let them be.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:26 AM

Chuc0076 is an unknown quantity at this point
To each his own.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:27 PM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point
who is this guy? sounds like a professional. Write a book or something dude.

R6 for dummies
Old 04-28-2003, 10:08 AM

I get into this discussion all the time. You (smb123) are saying that the bounce should be easy to learn because you told him how to do it. Well, I know a lot of riders that have a hard time learning how to bounce. I have a friend who just rode it out in 2nd bouncing it the yesterday for the first time and he has been trying for a year.

I guess I was a little quick when I jumped in on this thread, but for the guy who started it and needed advice. The only thing I can say without a doubt is that practice is the only thing that will make you wheelie your bike. Constant practice. Find the safest possible area and go there as much as you can. Try and take a friend with you that has a cell phone and camera. Get as much advice on wheelies as you can. All aspects of the wheelie. Clutching, bouncing, power wheelies etc... Then make a plan in you head for starting the trick to finishing it. It's always best to have a plan worked out in your head. Anyways, just continue to practice it and see yourself pulling it off in your head. Watching people do wheelies is great and all, but it won't make you wheelie. You have to devote the time, the bike, and the sometimes the body.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:54 PM

Sinista is an unknown quantity at this point
ok im still a somewhat newbie so heres my oppinion. last year i had an 87 hurricane,nuff said . it was geared down but it was beat and wouldnt power up anymore. i was left with 2 choices dont do wheelies,(yeah right), or clutch it up in first. i felt way more comfy in first cause it was slower. now i own a 97 f3 which i have been riding for a full 4 days now and have already drasticly improved my wheelies,(its about time). i no longer have to clutch it up any more its so powerful. i am still nervous about second gear though cause it is alot faster but i just went and practiced for 6 hours straight. i hiked up my skirt, grabbed my ***** and dumped the clutch in second .... away we go i was up and running
didnt last long cuz i was at about 70 before i knew it that was a little to fast at that point.but the point is if i clutched it on this bike i would loop. so my advice is dont clutch it in first. if you feel more comfortable going slow at first, power it up in first but be ready to let off the gas so you dont loop it. if you are a little crazyier try clutching it in second but try a little gas at first if you dont get it up try a little more. just practice, practice ,practice. im only a page or two ahead of you so its still fresh in my mind. be carefull we dont want to lose one of our own. peace i hope i helped you ........just my
Old 05-05-2003, 01:05 AM
Regular StuntLifer

H00KED is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn Damn DAMN!

I wish I would have come across this forum and this thread about a week ago...

Ok, so I had my 2003 R6 for about 8 days when I met 3 guys that had bikes (a few yrs older than mine). Well we pulled into a parking lot and I saw a guy clutch it in 1st to pull it up and then he set it back down. I thought, well hell I've been doing all these pretty decent wheelies off power in 1st I bet I could really get a good one going that slow....so I clutched it.

That night 20 guys, chillin by their cars, saw a guy ride a 12 oclock for about 15 yards, throw his weight fwd somehow to push it back down, causing the bike to come down at a lean to the left, causing the NEWB to grab the front break making him do an endo "SUPERMAN STYLE"....I'm talkin helmet over windshield, feet flyin through the air, untill the bike came down and nuts met gas tank.

I wish like hell that someone had it on video b/c God knows it's gonna be a long long time before I ever pull another twelve. After the color returned to me we all had a good laugh about my near crashing experience and I was commended on either 1) a good or 2) a lucky save.

Moral of the story...newbs should avoid the clutch at all costs. I know my situation may not be the same for everyone, they might not be stupid and give it as much gas.....but they MIGHT. I have since stuck primarily to just letting off a little and then punching it in 1st and getting better everyday. They are pretty easy to control b/c the wheel keeps comming up until u let off the gas and then she drops back down...seems near impossable to ride it out keeping the wheel at one spot.

I tried the bouncing tech. once....kinda iffy about that still. If I stand up (even with my knees bent) and try to bring it up the force from the gas pushes me back....which kinda makes me worry that both- the front end will come up and I'll get pushed back causing my weight to pull the bike up higher than I want it to.....

Needless to say I'm still new to EVERYTHING, but what fun is a badass bike if u don't use it. If I wanted to just putt around town I woulda got a moped......stunt'n is where is at!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:43 AM

Just remember that your badass bike won't be so badass for long if you keep stuntin it. That is something I learned the hard way, last year I killed a brand new 954RR and R1. Oh well, still got the R1, but it isn't pretty to look at.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Regular StuntLifer

H00KED is an unknown quantity at this point
A very true statement....I'm sure they don't last as long (even if u don't wreck) with all the "abuse"....but it's fun isn't it?
Everyone knows the risks, I hope, and yet ppl still stunt.

Quick Reply: wheelies on a r6