Clutching it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:29 PM

BrooklynKid929 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutching it?

I want to know what you guys think would be best to learn wheelies with I can power up the wheelie no problem. . . I have tryed to clutch it in 1st but it goes up like a ****. . . So my question is should I clutch it in 1st or 2nd and if so what methods are good?
Thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 10:16 PM

BVRider1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Clutching it?

Originally posted by BrooklynKid929
I want to know what you guys think would be best to learn wheelies with I can power up the wheelie no problem. . . I have tryed to clutch it in 1st but it goes up like a ****. . . So my question is should I clutch it in 1st or 2nd and if so what methods are good?
Thanks
Clutch it, don't 4get to cover your rear brake, my dumb *** didn't:twelve
Old 04-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice
clutching is the way to go
Old 04-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Regular StuntLifer

clutchit is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitley clutch it up. Comes up quick but you just have to get used to it. Its definitley alot more consistent when you clutch it up.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:33 AM

Boughetto is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, everyone says clutching is def the best. All I can do now is power it up at 1st, now Im in the process of learning to clutch it in 2nd.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:48 AM

imprezivr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
there should be no need for you to clutch up a 929 in first..just rev it dip the throttle and hit it again and it will come up..To be honest you should not even have to clutch up second..

dave
Old 04-19-2003, 09:09 AM

Veggie Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by imprezivr6
there should be no need for you to clutch up a 929 in first..just rev it dip the throttle and hit it again and it will come up..
Although definitely true, clutching it up is a lot kinder to your engine, gearbox, crank, chain and sprockets
Old 04-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Veggie Dave
Although definitely true, clutching it up is a lot kinder to your engine, gearbox, crank, chain and sprockets

errr... no way. I dont beleive you..
Old 04-19-2003, 10:02 PM
I'm Getting Used to Posting

CBRORL is an unknown quantity at this point
I got to agree with clutching it. Just started to really get the technique down and man it is so much better. Smoooooooooth all the way. The feel is just way better.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:26 AM

imprezivr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
CBRORL I got to agree with clutching it. Just started to really get the technique down and man it is so much better. Smoooooooooth all the way. The feel is just way better
On our 600's it is nessesary to bounce it up or clutch it up in second, but on the 929 you are asking to loop it by learning a first gear wheelie clutching it..You should be able to power up first and second easy on that thing..
Old 04-20-2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by imprezivr6
On our 600's it is nessesary to bounce it up or clutch it up in second, but on the 929 you are asking to loop it by learning a first gear wheelie clutching it..You should be able to power up first and second easy on that thing..
I can clutch it in 2nd. Going about 40 I just grab the clutch rev up the bike and let her loose. If I'm tring to do stand ups I 've been bouncing it, but just because im already standing and a little hop is just easier. I cant tell you how many RPM's to let the clutch out at. I just feel it. Best advice I can give you is start with small RPM's and just work your way up until the front starts to rise.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:38 AM

Frosty is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Clutching it?

Originally posted by BVRider1
Clutch it, don't 4get to cover your rear brake, my dumb *** didn't:twelve
I feel ya on that! Just looped out at 90 mph the other day cause I clutched it up and 2nd, rode it for a minute and oops....forgot the rear brake!! But clutching it to me is the easiest, you just gotta get used to doing it!!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:55 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Beef is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CBRORL
I can clutch it in 2nd. Going about 40 I just grab the clutch rev up the bike and let her loose. If I'm tring to do stand ups I 've been bouncing it, but just because im already standing and a little hop is just easier. I cant tell you how many RPM's to let the clutch out at. I just feel it. Best advice I can give you is start with small RPM's and just work your way up until the front starts to rise.

1 question. Do you just drop the clutch after you have you revs where you want them or do you let it quick but smooth?

Newbie minds want to know.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:58 PM

smb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Veggie Dave
This really smells like sarcasm. But if not:

Wow, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Let's see why clutching is worse than, say, bouncing:

Pulling in the clutch and revving the engine up -- that's revving the motor WITHOUT load. This is absolutely fantastic for a motor, let me tell you. But really, if you think it's good for the motor, go stand in your garage with the bike in neutral and rev it up to 12k a bunch. Make it a contest for yourself and everyone around -- takes bets on how long it takes to fudge your motor up.

The sudden power surge applied to the gear in the transmission is also fantastic for transmission wear. We all know that unloaded the gear dogs and then slamming MASSIVE POWER to them ALL AT ONCE is definitely a way to insure that your gear dogs are going to stay strong and healthy. EIther that, or they will sheer/round/whatever. Clutching wheelies is probably the BIGGEST REASON people lose [2nd] gear.

Obviously it's bad for the clutch. Not as bad as people think, but still bad. But I don't consider this anything big. Downshifting does the same amount of wear. Clutches are cheap and easy to replace anyway.

And we also know that when you unload the drivetrain, the slack in the chain will definitely not pick back up with the power surge and put extreme stretching force on it... and the sprocket teeth.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:00 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
quick but smooth.

i clutch my 929 and i'm 1 down in front and 5 up in rear....you aren't asking to loop it by clutching in first, you just don't give it hell. that's how you do 12's, clutch it at like 2 grand and it comes up nice and smooth and controled. It also depends on how fast you let the clutch out.

I can power mine up all the way to 4th gear (clutch it up in 5th) but no need cause slow is where it's at.

before i changed sprockets i'd get in second gear, run up to 6k rpms, grab some clutch, give it gas and let the clutch go, taht would bring it up nicely but not too fast on stock geared 929. do'nt shift your weight or move around or anything, stay still on your body and remember not to lean forward when the bike comes up, just stay back and use the rear brake to bring the front down.

get me on aol if you need some more pointers
Old 05-06-2003, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by Beef
1 question. Do you just drop the clutch after you have you revs where you want them or do you let it quick but smooth?

Newbie minds want to know.
Quick but smooth. Although when I say quick I mean QUICK. Thats just me though. I will tell you I rev it up quite a bit. Ill start looking for the rpms and let ya know what I let the clutch out at. Remember my bike is straight stock so if you have different gearing or anything else it may be different for you.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Yeah, let me know on the RPMS.

My bike has stock gearing, but I do have a power commander with a K&N air filter. The added power will make things a little different. But at least I will have somewhere to start. And of course I will be f...in' around myself trying to figure it out.

I just want to learn to clutch it because bouncing has been way to inconsistent for me and powering up in first just wants to throw me over backwards sometimes. She come up right now. Plus, I want to be able to pull a wheelie up ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.

Note to self: Back brake, back brake, back brake, back brake.

OK, I think it will stay in my head now.

Lata Mon
Old 05-07-2003, 08:15 AM

Alright I checked it out. I get going in 2nd around 40-50 MPH should be approx 6-7000 RPM. pull in the clutch rev up to about 10,000 or a little more. Then let the clutch out Fast , Fast , Fast and smooth.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Thanks man.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Regular StuntLifer

OK. I gotta be doing something wrong.

I had about 15 minutes at lunch today and screwed around for a bit.

2nd gear, around 50mph I pulled the clutch, revved up to 10000RPM, dropped the clutch........nothing. Just lurched forward hard. Didn't come off the ground. Do I gotta give it more gas after I drop the clutch?

I am gonna try more on my way home from work. Like I said, only had a little time. Tried it like 8 or 9 times.

Help!!!

Quick Reply: Clutching it?