gsxr 1000 won't do hwy wheelies. Throttle play. Can I readjust it to shorten it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about
gsxr 1000 won't do hwy wheelies. Throttle play. Can I readjust it to shorten it?

I am a sit down guy and never really tried stand ups too often. Well I have been working them miles out from town with no one around and I have figured out my problem. I have to "really" grab that throttle. Like instead of normal, grab it so my hand and wrist are in an L shape. then rip it back and it'll get high and adjust from there.

But I feel there has to be a way to make it more sneitive or responsicve so i don't have to break my hand trying to get a grip......

What do you guys do? Start " L wrist shaped?" and go from there?

Also, what, bouncing it learn it in 1st standing, then seconds, then clutching 2nd and so on?

I can clutch 2nd sitting and do fine. Just give it that L shaped throttle and it'll get up.

Also, another thing. I try using the rear set on thew lft side to get a better rear brake coverage but every time I get it up it'll lean one way or the other. WTF is up with that.....

Thanks

LATER
Old 10-04-2005, 09:14 AM

gixxerlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: gsxr 1000 won't do hwy wheelies. Throttle play. Can I readjust it to shorten it?

If there's slop in the cables you have 2 adjusters..... Clutch up everything, and keep your right leg locked on the launch then get loose ounce its up, alot of peop's launch it with alot of there weight on the rear pass set and start head'n left... Practice,practice...
Old 10-04-2005, 09:19 AM

KingWheelie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: gsxr 1000 won't do hwy wheelies. Throttle play. Can I readjust it to shorten it?

lower the tire pressure a little, help stabilize it a little, your sliding your foot back beofre you launch probably, and ALWAYS use the clutch method. Using the bounce is easy, but in the end, it slows your learning time, and is to unpredictable. Oh, and body language says a lot. If your luanching it wrong, I.e, to far forward (why you prob have to snap the throttle so hard) and are leaning one way as oposed to the other, your gonna go that way. Another thing I learned, if your choppin the throttle, that will cuase it to sway from side to side. All in all, it boils down to technique and practice.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:36 AM
DNFstunt

Regstunts is a decent person

The 'L' shaped wrist thing is called choking up...with throttle wheelies and stock gearing you probably should have to. Learn the clutch wheelie. When I was a turd I used to swear by the throttle wheelie....then I learned how to use the clutch. Its far superior in every aspect. Its intimidating at first, but everyone else learned it, so why not you?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:58 AM

Artiom can only hope to improve

man I was doing 4th gear stand ups stock with no clutch for miles...
Old 10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person

Originally Posted by Artiom

Pretty much what I was thinking.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:26 PM

cheeseuschrist is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah if you can't wheelie a gsxr 1000, hang it up. I have a stock one and it comes right up, all i do is role on the throttle in second. Second is a sensitive gear so you might be better bringing it up in second and then shift to third. Yeah there are to adjuster's on the throttle just turn them till the throttle has no play. I want to say clockwise, you will figure it out.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM

Pigott666gsxr is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 01 1k and 2nd is a bit twitchy but drop the sprocket 1 in the front and use third. It will hold it there for ever.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 AM

KingWheelie is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I had a 1k......
Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Artiom

but your probably alot smaller than myself. I am 6'3" 278lbs....

It won't come up for me like they do for people that are smaller... You know?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:11 PM

thanks all for all your help....I am on it....
Old 10-09-2005, 08:02 PM

HA-HAAAA. ALAS, a stand up.

I have them now. I can do it everytiem but my problem is letting out when it gets the right height. I'll keep on practicing.

They are geting better now. Little things like spreading my legs a bit to let the gas tank fit inbetween my legs, when to straighten and bend the legs, how far to pull back and give throttle etc.

Once I get it, then I'll get the clutching since I have that down from sit downs...

Thanks. Man this **** is fun as hell.....
Old 10-10-2005, 11:34 AM

BLUE021000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bikerboy
but your probably alot smaller than myself. I am 6'3" 278lbs....

It won't come up for me like they do for people that are smaller... You know?
IM 6' 3" and 210 lbs and I aint never had a problem getting my bike up. even sitting in 4th you shouldnt have too much trouble. Standups are def the way to go. When i first started learnig standups i would start off sitting with my left foot already resting on the pass. peg and right when the clutch flies pop right into a standup. Made learning alot easier for me.