F4i fuel pump/harness something else issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 03:50 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Mid-West Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i fuel pump/harness something else issue?

Hey everyone...I just picked up a F4i the other day I thought was going to be an easy fixer...turns out I was wrong...I have countless hours into this bike trying to troubleshoot what should be easy, but the bike just wont cooperate. Basically when you turn the key on, the fuel pump doesnt prime. You can jump the fuel cutoff relay to operate the fuel pump, but I don't know if pressure at the fuel rail is ever made, or if there is something retarding the ignition or what, because the bike just wont fire.

BTW...here's the checked list so far (keep in mind that there is another f4i sitting right next to it so the occassional test to verify simply involved us swapping to the bike that runs and making sure it still ran after install).

Bank angle sensor good
main wire harness tested for continuity good
front sub harness tested for continuity good
rear sub harness tested for continuity good
right forward controls tested good
gauges tested good
fuel pump relay tested good
fuel cutoff relay tested good (however pump could be jumped from this plug)
cam pulse sensor tested good
fuel pump tested good
TP sensor tested good
ignition switch tested good
ECM tested good

The weird issue is that the FI light us stuck on...the official Honda manual does not recognize this issue in relation to a non running bike...in fact the only reference to this light refers to a bike running normally in which case the test jump is being jumped or wires crossed or shorted....I can't seem to find any reference beyond that.

The bike was a theft recovery with a mild lay down, but the bike was BARELY damaged...I did note when I bought it, that the ignition had been swapped at some point, so I always thought it was the ignition itself....i threw on another ignition this morning only to find that it didnt work...if anyone out there has an idea, please let me know...im gonna post this in the help section too...thanks!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

sprocketz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i fuel pump/harness something else issue?

the new ignition switch, does it have the lil resistor in there? are you using a key to start it or hot wiring the bike?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:06 AM
Regular StuntLifer

yes we are using the key to start the bike
Old 06-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the diode in the ignition is fried, or broken. If you have another ignition try that. That and the tip sensor are the first things to check when the fuel pump wont come on.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:02 AM

Miltown is an unknown quantity at this point

if you have another f4i sitting there, i would start swapping parts one by one until you find the culprit,

you checked fuses right?

and also with the f4i the light switch pod and the gauges have the same black clip

and the front wire harness clip and something else (cant remember) up front have the exact same clip, make sure your not mixing them up, look at the color of the wires.

only honda that i can think of that uses the same clip for two different components.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Regular StuntLifer

gonna start working on it right now im gonna try and swap ignitions
Old 06-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Regular StuntLifer

I promise, I have checked all the dumb stuff like fuses, switched wires...allready swapped ignitions, fuel pumps...blah blah blah...in actuality there is no power going to the fuel pump past the cut off relay, however the relay itself is good
Old 06-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

and the harness isnt hacked anywhere?

There are four safety features that will kill the fuel pump.. the diode in the ignition (anti theft feature), the kickstand switch, the kill switch and the tip sensor. If the harness isnt hacked anywhere, and all four of the above safety features are good then I dunno. Cause you already said the fuel pump, fuel relay and cdi is good. I dont think there is anything else outside of what I have listed above that would keep the fuel pump from at least priming.

You didnt mention the kickstand switch.. check that. This happened not that long ago to somebody on here and it was the kickstand switch... lol.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:14 PM

gixxerguy6 is an unknown quantity at this point

well

i am one of these people also

all the obvious things are checked, relays, fuses, connectors.

checked the kickstand switch,

there is no power to the pump when using the key and start button, but if you hotwire the pump to the batt(touching wire to batt) it runs, but when you try to start it with the pump running it don't fire, but you can spray ether in the ram air tubes and it will fire and die out, so it is getting spark.

recap of what i did

relays are new
kickstand switch is bypassed and there is continuity!
tip over is good, i used a jumper wire to bypass it for a test and it didn't fire
we know the fuel pump is pumping when hotwired so that isn't the problem.

Let's hear the input.

p.s. I didn't see any need in testing the ign switch due to the fact that when the key is on and start button is pressed and the ehter is spray'd it starts.

unless the resistor in there in some way keeps it from getting spark also at the time?

I HAVE A PDF MANUAL IF ANYONE WANTS IT JUST LET ME KNOW, I WILL BE PUTTING IT ON MY SERVER AS SOON AS i PUT MY SERVER HD IN THE NEW COMPUTER.

Last edited by gixxerguy6; 06-10-2005 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add'd something
Old 06-10-2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerguy6
well

i am one of these people also

all the obvious things are checked, relays, fuses, connectors.

checked the kickstand switch,

there is no power to the pump when using the key and start button, but if you hotwire the pump to the batt(touching wire to batt) it runs, but when you try to start it with the pump running it don't fire, but you can spray ether in the ram air tubes and it will fire and die out, so it is getting spark.

recap of what i did

relays are new
kickstand switch is bypassed and there is continuity!
tip over is good, i used a jumper wire to bypass it for a test and it didn't fire
we know the fuel pump is pumping when hotwired so that isn't the problem.

Let's hear the input.

p.s. I didn't see any need in testing the ign switch due to the fact that when the key is on and start button is pressed and the ehter is spray'd it starts.

unless the resistor in there in some way keeps it from getting spark also at the time?

I HAVE A PDF MANUAL IF ANYONE WANTS IT JUST LET ME KNOW, I WILL BE PUTTING IT ON MY SERVER AS SOON AS i PUT MY SERVER HD IN THE NEW COMPUTER.

**** IT ANYONE WANT AN F4I $2700

CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT

tipover---run jumper from left to right wire and i get the relay click but no start, use the tip over and i don't get a click.

I am about to give up and not work on this mother****er at all.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:03 PM
love you loving to hate

Six Eight Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I got the fix for you cats and kittens out there...from what I know about the F4i and my limited experience working on them...it seems to me that the ground from ignition pulse generator is also on the same circut as the fuel cut off relay which is also on the same circut as the start switch which would indicate failure on the lamp....this is not necessarily the fault location, but it is a known trouble spot...rare for the f4i's to take a hit at this location so very few people bump into this problem, but the ignition pulse generator will fault the system and short the circut, but it is at such a low wattage or voltage or what have you, that it will not fail any of the circuts or fuses or relays...only cause starting failure. I would check your cases first for signs of damage at the ignition pulse generator area (behind the clutch cover). If it appears the bike took a hit there you might have your problem area...in fact...if it has been damaged, chances are the the magnesium cover may be a little discolored.

In any case....my on the possible problem, get back to me and let me know how it works out for you
Old 06-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

LivingCanvas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Six Eight Nate
I think I got the fix for you cats and kittens out there...from what I know about the F4i and my limited experience working on them...it seems to me that the ground from ignition pulse generator is also on the same circut as the fuel cut off relay which is also on the same circut as the start switch which would indicate failure on the lamp....this is not necessarily the fault location, but it is a known trouble spot...rare for the f4i's to take a hit at this location so very few people bump into this problem, but the ignition pulse generator will fault the system and short the circut, but it is at such a low wattage or voltage or what have you, that it will not fail any of the circuts or fuses or relays...only cause starting failure. I would check your cases first for signs of damage at the ignition pulse generator area (behind the clutch cover). If it appears the bike took a hit there you might have your problem area...in fact...if it has been damaged, chances are the the magnesium cover may be a little discolored.

In any case....my on the possible problem, get back to me and let me know how it works out for you
+1, i ws gonna say the same thing.......

my first bike was an f4i......it had the same exact problems, but luckily, i new some one at the local dealership who added the extended factory warranty on it(i bought it used, salvage title), so i had the Honda mechanics take a look at it, because it was free.......it ended up getting a complete new wiring harness on it......it seems the way the wires are routed on hondas sometimes make them short out in places you cant even see. they rub and rub until the sheathing gets rubbed through.......

it causes weird ***, practically unsolvable problems sometimes.....ive heard of 954's having electrical problems too......i think its from stunting, and the way the wiring is bouncing around from wheelies and endos, ive never seen these problems on hondas that arent stunted

i dont really know what else to tell ya man

.....actually, ive got this 929 id like to trade you for your 636 ........
Old 08-25-2005, 03:56 AM
NYC

NYC is an unknown quantity at this point

Six Eight Nate : I need some help here.

I took a hard hit on my bike ran into a car comming down from a high chair, 02 f4i. you can say it took a hard hit on the right side, didnt crack the clutch case or nothing, just some rash. and im having all these problems, bike wont crank, pump wont prime, ive checked everything. but never heard of what your saying, ? Can that be the problem, if so what exaclty do i have to change?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:36 AM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

Originally Posted by Lb3
and the harness isnt hacked anywhere?

There are four safety features that will kill the fuel pump.. the diode in the ignition (anti theft feature), ... lol.
how does that work? why is it an anti theft thing?

my f4i has a blown doide too
Old 08-25-2005, 02:13 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jowalskiMO is an unknown quantity at this point

its an anti theft device because you can't just cut and splice ignition wires to steal one like you could on an f3 or 900rr or anything older like that. The 929's f4i's and 954's and so on have a diode/resistor that holds back a correct amt of current, and without the right amt of current, the ignition won't turn the fuel pump on. Kinda like a pin number, only voltade instead of numbers....
I don't know what you're guys' problem is, I can't think of anything to help you out. sorry. On the other hand, the f4i I picked up last night starts up no problem, but to make you feel better, idles at like 6-7 K, because there is no idle cable, and probably a few vacuum hose issues! Sweet........
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 PM

well sorry I didn't get back with you sooner

but I fixed my problem, I sold it back to the guy i bought it from, and he posted it on ebay with a buy it now and it was gone in 9 hours, the guy bought it and took it to florida, and figured out what the problem was, it was the injector harness there was a fault in the #1 injector, but when I checked it I didn't come up with anything bad.

my fix for the problem sold it and got another.

later

hope you all figure out your problems.

if anyone needs the cbr f4i pdf manual I have it on my computer just pm me.

later