900RR hi rpm issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 04:30 PM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point
900RR hi rpm issue

I ran accross this issue recently with my 96 900rr. The bike lurches at around 9 to 10 thousand RPM. Just started happening recently. It was doing it free reving it as well untill I changed the plugs... thought my problem was fixed until I got it out on the road and it happend again. Now it only happens under a load as it will free rev to the limiter of around 12k. I am an expirienced tech so I have gone through the obvious.

Things I've checked
Cam timing OK
Carbs OK
tank and pet**** Ok (haha funny wont let me say that )
changed the ECM
changed coils caps plugs and wires
air filter I'm kinda woried about, I used some "Fiber Filter Oil" made for fiber filters like K&N's but it wasn't a K&N brand filter oil ... think it was bel ray or something... yes I'm sure it was for "fiber filters" but I've never used the stuff before. Maybee this afternoon I'll try runnin it with the filter out.

Things I want to check
compression
valve lash

basically I'm just tryin to see if anyones had his issue with there's and how they might have fixed it.

Thanks
D
Old 05-07-2005, 04:47 PM

Saxton is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 900RR hi rpm issue

Originally Posted by 955iDisastar
I ran accross this issue recently with my 96 900rr. The bike lurches at around 9 to 10 thousand RPM. Just started happening recently. It was doing it free reving it as well untill I changed the plugs... thought my problem was fixed until I got it out on the road and it happend again. Now it only happens under a load as it will free rev to the limiter of around 12k. I am an expirienced tech so I have gone through the obvious.
D
I don't know much about the Honda, and you didn't really describe your problem with a lot of detail, but I know someone with a ZX7R like my own, and he broke (somehow) the inner spring only on one of his valves, which killed that cylinder once he got over 9k rpm. I don't know if honda uses two springs/cylinder, or if you're losing a cylinder, but it's something to consider.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:53 PM

Thank you I'll look into when I do the valve adjustment.

Its almost like hitting a rev limiter but cuts in and out abruptly. It wil hesitate then comeback on for a split second to climb a few hundred RPM then hesitate again.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:31 PM

crazytexan is an unknown quantity at this point

could be a loose connection somewhere that only vibrates enough to matter at that rpm.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:04 PM

Saxton is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on what you said about the abruptness, I'd be looking at electronics on the bike. Also, it might be worth your time to check all of the ground points on the bike. Especially if it's got one for (and near) the ECM like mine. (Mine has 4 total around the bike, I don't know anything about the Hondas though.)
Old 05-08-2005, 03:35 AM

cedz is an unknown quantity at this point

check your valve adjustment. i'm a student @ MMI, and i had no idea valve lash could cause so much heartache until they let me know. this could be why your "lurch" is only occuring @ a certain rpm. check the service limits in your manual and make sure they are in spec. even if it isn't the source of the problem, valve springs loose strenth over time, and it isn't a bad idea to make sure they're all good, and chances are you'll find the problem while you're in the top end. save alot of trouble in the long run.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:10 AM

bumpedy....
Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 PM

Quicksta da RR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cedz
check your valve adjustment. i'm a student @ MMI, and i had no idea valve lash could cause so much heartache until they let me know. this could be why your "lurch" is only occuring @ a certain rpm. check the service limits in your manual and make sure they are in spec. even if it isn't the source of the problem, valve springs loose strenth over time, and it isn't a bad idea to make sure they're all good, and chances are you'll find the problem while you're in the top end. save alot of trouble in the long run.

THAT IS FUNNY, I HOPE YOUR MONEY WAS WELL SPENT.

BEFORE YOU GO AND DO ALOT OF UNNECESSARY WORK TO YOUR HEAD, HAVE SOMEONE CHECK YOUR TRANNY. SOUNDS LIKE YOU EITHER HAVE A BENT SHIFT FORK OR YOU MIGHT HAVE ROUNDED THE GROOVES ON YOUR DRUM.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksta da RR
THAT IS FUNNY, I HOPE YOUR MONEY WAS WELL SPENT.

BEFORE YOU GO AND DO ALOT OF UNNECESSARY WORK TO YOUR HEAD, HAVE SOMEONE CHECK YOUR TRANNY. SOUNDS LIKE YOU EITHER HAVE A BENT SHIFT FORK OR YOU MIGHT HAVE ROUNDED THE GROOVES ON YOUR DRUM.

If you went to MMI you'd know thats deffinately not it.....

Did you even read the problems? Hesitation on hi RPM not falling out of gear...

second pulling the head off is alot easier than spiting the cases to do a tranny... sorry, wouldn't of said nuthin if it wasn't for the bash on the guy learnin about this stuff, by a guy who obviously knows nothing about this stuff....