r6 wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 PM

zaru is an unknown quantity at this point
r6 wobble

why does my 02 r6 wobble everytime i land after a high speed wheelie?and it tends to turn sideway when i'm on a wheelie!bent frame maybe?any info please?thank you!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:40 PM

Nick StuntMetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: r6 wobble

Originally Posted by zaru
why does my 02 r6 wobble everytime i land after a high speed wheelie?and it tends to turn sideway when i'm on a wheelie!bent frame maybe?any info please?thank you!

u got a steering damper? if not thats your problem i would say.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:48 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't see your bike but if nothing is wrong with the bike

It's because your landing with your bars slightly turned. If the wobble is what I think it is, it's called headshake. I don't know if your R6 has a steering damper but even if it has a stock one get an aftermarket one. It will help,,,a lot. Do it before you get a violent one,,,that would be called a tank slapper.

Here is what happens.

You set one down, the bars are slightly crossed, the momentum from your speed wants to keep pushing the bike straight, therefore your bike is kinda fighting itself until the front tire is straight again. During this, YOU, are acting like a conductor, the stiffer your arms are will determine how much of the headshake gets transfered to the rear tire. If you were to lock your arms up your rear tire would wobble too that would cause you to go way out of control. An example of this is a shopping cart with a wobbly front wheel, why that front wheel is wobbly is because its not at the same height as the rest of the wheels so its constantly skimming the ground and you, puching the cart forward is causing it to slap from side to side. This is what is happening with your bike exept the shopping cart is at a perpetual state of just barely landing.

A steering damper helps because it acts like a side to side shock for your steering head. when the front wants to wobble the damper stiffens up and nuetralizes the wobble.

If you have a damper then the next thing to check is the steering stem nut, make sure it's at the correct torque spec.

If all that is good post back and we'll go from there.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:04 PM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by KungFu954
I can't see your bike but if nothing is wrong with the bike

It's because your landing with your bars slightly turned. If the wobble is what I think it is, it's called headshake. I don't know if your R6 has a steering damper but even if it has a stock one get an aftermarket one. It will help,,,a lot. Do it before you get a violent one,,,that would be called a tank slapper.

Here is what happens.

You set one down, the bars are slightly crossed, the momentum from your speed wants to keep pushing the bike straight, therefore your bike is kinda fighting itself until the front tire is straight again. During this, YOU, are acting like a conductor, the stiffer your arms are will determine how much of the headshake gets transfered to the rear tire. If you were to lock your arms up your rear tire would wobble too that would cause you to go way out of control. An example of this is a shopping cart with a wobbly front wheel, why that front wheel is wobbly is because its not at the same height as the rest of the wheels so its constantly skimming the ground and you, puching the cart forward is causing it to slap from side to side. This is what is happening with your bike exept the shopping cart is at a perpetual state of just barely landing.

A steering damper helps because it acts like a side to side shock for your steering head. when the front wants to wobble the damper stiffens up and nuetralizes the wobble.

If you have a damper then the next thing to check is the steering stem nut, make sure it's at the correct torque spec.

If all that is good post back and we'll go from there.

Isn't the damper doing the same thing as stiff arms? So to say if your arms wouldn't give, or give a little the force is being transferred to the bike, rear of the triple clamp.

I call on this. Your example is once again IMO wrong. General idea is right but your details make Zero sense to me.

What causes the wheel on a shopping cart to go straight is the question I propose to you? Ku Fool?? In one word.

2 things that happen when a High-speed wheelie is set down. 1st: Tire goes from zero to the speed you traveling in less then 10 feet. 2nd:As KuFu know it all had said or tried to say, if the tire is not straight, it will try to straighten itself. What happens here is, lets say the tire is slightly turned to the right, it accelerates to the left and is not going to stop at the center, it has built up speed or inertia. Sometimes it goes past center enough that when it tries to re-center itself again it perpetuates into a headshake or tank slap.

I am not saying I am the Physics major or anything but I have had some classes in this and some entry-level engineering.

One quick way to see if your bike or frame is straight is put down a clean piece of cardboard in a parking lot and drive over it at 20 MPH or so. Check the tracks on the cardboard and see if your rig is tracking straight.