Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 07:22 AM

md954 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way

OK so the jury is out and the verdict is clutching is the way to go.
I will say this, the time I've spent working on powering it up (about 2 months) was not a total waste. I have developed a lot of comfort with the feeling of the bike coming up so now that I'm working on clutches the bike jumping up isn't a real surprise.

Now to the questions:
1) I’ve been doing clutch 1st gears and, right now, I’m still a little inconsistent with them. Should I be releasing the clutch just as I begin to crack the throttle open or after the RPMs have jumped for a bit?
2) Same question in second gear except with my stock 954 does anyone know what the best speed/RPM range is to get that sucker up is. I’ve been trying sit-downs at around 45-50 mph and 5-6K RPMs. But all I get are surges forward. Any suggestions please.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:55 PM

Cazper is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a stock 03 GSXR 750 and can pretty much ride 1st gear all the way out. I have trouble when trying a 2nd gear wheelie. I have to get up to about 65 to 70 mph and bounce it up with the power it has but I end up around 105 to 110 mph with a distance of about 1/2 mile. This is sitting down. I want to get this doing a stand up but I am about 5'10 and it seems unstable when trying this. I tried clutching but I will not come up as high as powering. Does anyone know about how much RPM you will need to get the bike up in 2nd gear. Thanks
Cazper :YEAH
Old 05-18-2004, 04:17 AM

bladerunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md954
OK so the jury is out and the verdict is clutching is the way to go.
I will say this, the time I've spent working on powering it up (about 2 months) was not a total waste. I have developed a lot of comfort with the feeling of the bike coming up so now that I'm working on clutches the bike jumping up isn't a real surprise.

Now to the questions:
1) I’ve been doing clutch 1st gears and, right now, I’m still a little inconsistent with them. Should I be releasing the clutch just as I begin to crack the throttle open or after the RPMs have jumped for a bit?
2) Same question in second gear except with my stock 954 does anyone know what the best speed/RPM range is to get that sucker up is. I’ve been trying sit-downs at around 45-50 mph and 5-6K RPMs. But all I get are surges forward. Any suggestions please.
Hey fellow 954 owner, just wanted to chime in to your post. I'm not a pro by any means...been riding for 10 years, stunting for about a year and a half. First thing first--I looped my 954 last year at 50mph. IT HURTS REAL BAD! Just keep in mind that Honda made that front end REAL light!!! Enough said about that...back to stunting. My 954 is also stock (pipe is a slip-on) and it comes up in 2nd easier and without high revs at around 25-30. When I'm up around 50 like you had asked, I need to slip the clutch in and wrap the throttle to about 10 grand. (guessing here...I go by sound) Try slowing down to 25-30mph and pull the clutch in just until it disengages, rev her up to 6-7k and dump the clutch. And don't for get to cover the rear brake---I'm not a pro, I just learned the hard way.
Nuff said, good luck. PM me with the results. And take your time, she comes up fast. My first few times clutching, the bike just took off with the wheel an inch off the ground. I realized that I was letting the clutch out too slow and not staying on the throttle. I'd back off when I let the clutch out, then WOT. WRONG! Slip the clutch, increase the revs, and let it out smooth but fast. Ever play "evens or odds"? Make a fist...tap tap...shoot. The speed you just shot your two fingers out is how fast I dump my clutch. Enjoy and ride safe. --Bladerunner.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:10 AM
Registered Spammer

old duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is anything wrong with changing gears while in a wheelie.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:21 AM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Old Duffer
I don't think there is anything wrong with changing gears while in a wheelie.
ok, i'll refrase that. But i've read of trannies slipping out of second gear from always shifting from first to second in a wheelie.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

f4rider asked me to post some comments on this. I think it's very well written. hmm...i'm trying to pick apart some of the things to help out but that's pretty basic for learning, 12's i guess should be a complete different post because they are a little different beast.

and motor thing, it's the 893cc honda made from 93-95 that has the problem with spinning bearings, the newer 919 (96-99) that fixed this.

with giving the wheelie help when clutching, you can bounce to get it up, but never pull up on the bars, use only your legs to bounce it. pulling up on the bars will cause the wheelie to come up funny and wobble.

personal stuff, i find 18-20 psi good for all around wheelies.

when steering, you need to be at or a little past the balance point for it to steer properly.

other than that, i can't find anything man. if you want you can just take this stuff i said and modify your post so it's all together if you needed any of that to update. :YEAH
Old 05-18-2004, 03:46 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all, first of all great post on wheelies. Second, Changing gears without a clutch will do damage to your transmission. Doesn't matter what bike it is unless you have an ignition interupter attached to your shifter you WILL cause damage. I just got done replacing my 1st 2nd 4th and 6th gear in my 954. Allthough it was a long enjoyable job it still was a pain in the *** because you will be waiting a while for parts. Hear is why it causes damage.
When you do not use the clutch there is still direct power going to the transmission even though it sounds fine what is actually happening inside the trans is you are forcing your gears together with 150hp behind it. your trans gears are still turning with all that force (you do the math engine 8000+ rpm and thats even faster in the transmission) so it shaves the gears down eventually what will happen is what did with me, you will give it some gas (I was on the Hwy) and at full throttle it will either pop all the way out of gear or slip out for just a second (worse because it caused an involentary wheelie,,,not fun) and probably notch the shift drum as well. Believe me I went through 3 right shift forks, 1 drum, a shift fork shaft tons of special tools and fluids and bonding gasket plus the gears i mentiioned before I got her fixed. If you are a crappy wrench then expect to pay 1900.00 to 2400.00 at a shop and wait for 3 months. TRUST ME, either get an interupter or better yet don't clutchless shift.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:09 PM

Oh and by the way there 954 guy, I'm in the same boat as you with the wheelies. My clutchless shifts were from the track. Here are a couple things I kinda noted about the 954. I have noticed that the 954 is a bit surgy so just use a bit of caution of course I think you prolly know this. I have had some good results with clutching up in first at any speed. The biggest differance came when i realized I was too slow letting the clutch out and body position. I'm just working on sit downs but make a consious dicision to keep your arms straight and sit up tall. When you start to lean forward (as I do) within the first few inches off the ground it pushes the front tire back down. Typically I squeeze the tank with my knees sit up straight and clutch it in first. You should be able to tell a differance if your leaning forward or sitting back. I only have to use a little bit of revs to pull it up at 25mph. Also, make sure you have a tight grip on the bars but not a death grip, relaxing helps a ton.
I'll let you know how my progress goes. I have some pics of the transmission job if I ever figure out how to post em I will
Old 05-18-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by binder929rr
f4rider asked me to post some comments on this. I think it's very well written. hmm...i'm trying to pick apart some of the things to help out but that's pretty basic for learning, 12's i guess should be a complete different post because they are a little different beast.

and motor thing, it's the 893cc honda made from 93-95 that has the problem with spinning bearings, the newer 919 (96-99) that fixed this.

with giving the wheelie help when clutching, you can bounce to get it up, but never pull up on the bars, use only your legs to bounce it. pulling up on the bars will cause the wheelie to come up funny and wobble.

personal stuff, i find 18-20 psi good for all around wheelies.

when steering, you need to be at or a little past the balance point for it to steer properly.

other than that, i can't find anything man. if you want you can just take this stuff i said and modify your post so it's all together if you needed any of that to update. :YEAH
updated
Old 05-18-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by KungFu954
Hey all, first of all great post on wheelies. Second, Changing gears without a clutch will do damage to your transmission. Doesn't matter what bike it is unless you have an ignition interupter attached to your shifter you WILL cause damage. I just got done replacing my 1st 2nd 4th and 6th gear in my 954. Allthough it was a long enjoyable job it still was a pain in the *** because you will be waiting a while for parts. Hear is why it causes damage.
When you do not use the clutch there is still direct power going to the transmission even though it sounds fine what is actually happening inside the trans is you are forcing your gears together with 150hp behind it. your trans gears are still turning with all that force (you do the math engine 8000+ rpm and thats even faster in the transmission) so it shaves the gears down eventually what will happen is what did with me, you will give it some gas (I was on the Hwy) and at full throttle it will either pop all the way out of gear or slip out for just a second (worse because it caused an involentary wheelie,,,not fun) and probably notch the shift drum as well. Believe me I went through 3 right shift forks, 1 drum, a shift fork shaft tons of special tools and fluids and bonding gasket plus the gears i mentiioned before I got her fixed. If you are a crappy wrench then expect to pay 1900.00 to 2400.00 at a shop and wait for 3 months. TRUST ME, either get an interupter or better yet don't clutchless shift.
I changed it back
Old 05-19-2004, 01:06 PM

Awesome,,,lol
Old 05-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator

Manubi is an unknown quantity at this point

dont mean to bassterdize the thread but

the starboyz stunt fest is on june 18th 19th and 20th.
its at thompson ohio
thompson dragraceway
party at kevins house
sneak peek at the 2004 starboyz video
and non stop actionn goin on in the stunt competitions during the event.
don't miss it !
check out www.starboyz.com for more info and directions

its one of the biggest events ive ever been to !
check it out !
jay
Old 05-19-2004, 09:51 PM

spyder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Man that is some good Wheelie advise... I really got alot out of it... I am just starting to learn how to slow a wheelie down and reading this post made a hell of a lot of sense to me... Again big props for writing this "How To"

Spyder
Old 05-23-2004, 01:21 AM

2K3r1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome article.... now if only i can find a crunchy piece besides my 50. I don't want to trash my bike AGAIN

Again GREAT ARTICLE!!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 03:19 AM

need4$peed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Ver!!! when you gonna join the Pros? Good stuff man!! too bad for me you're not coming back next year, thanx for teachin me what I know man, take er' easy
Old 05-25-2004, 11:37 PM

atomic is an unknown quantity at this point

somebody should write these up for all the stunts...like endo's and skitching and christs and that kinda thing...and then the threads could be archived in a seperate forum or something like that.

I donno if this has already been suggested, I havent read the other pages yet
Old 05-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Registered Stunter

Metzger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atomic
somebody should write these up for all the stunts...like endo's and skitching and christs and that kinda thing...and then the threads could be archived in a seperate forum or something like that.
The thing is, people have lives.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:38 PM
shb

shb is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an 89 suzuki kat 750 and i was told they r to heavy to do wheelies. i can get the front end up by getting to 15 mph let off the throttle and hitting it hard. the problem is its not consistant and i usually wind 1st out pretty quick when it does come up. ive tryed to use the clutch but all it does is lurch forward. does anybody have an older heavier bike that can give some advice. thanks in advance and this is a great write up
Old 05-27-2004, 01:16 PM

need4$peed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shb
i have an 89 suzuki kat 750 and i was told they r to heavy to do wheelies. i can get the front end up by getting to 15 mph let off the throttle and hitting it hard. the problem is its not consistant and i usually wind 1st out pretty quick when it does come up. ive tryed to use the clutch but all it does is lurch forward. does anybody have an older heavier bike that can give some advice. thanks in advance and this is a great write up

hey man, I don't care what anyone on here says, you can wheelie that bike. I had a 93 or 94 katana 600, it would wheelie like no other, I could even pull it up at relatively low speed with no clutch, just perfect your game on the clutch, and you'll be able to pimp that bike on one wheel
Old 05-28-2004, 01:14 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lunglung
Im just learning to wheelie i can get it up on power but haven't learned how to ride it out yet. But on the clutch wheelies if im riding my 999s when i pull in the the clutch and close the throttle, when im on the throttle again what rpm should i be aiming for before i dump the clutch?
are you stunting a DUCATI???? youre crazy and i hope you are rich

Quick Reply: Complete guide for learning basic wheelies the right way