Rolling Stoppie Advice - Where am i going wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM

squiffythewomba is a decent person
Rolling Stoppie Advice - Where am i going wrong?

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can give me a few pointers. After picking up my CBR600F (1999 carbed) ive been praticing my stoppies while waiting for my cage etc. A video of how I'm getting on is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0379nNF6AU

I can get the stoppie moving but getting decent distance seems hard. Im running quite a hard setup with the front forks and about 18psi in the front tyre. Also sometime the rear tends to drift to the right while in the air and i cant work out if its my body position or the bike. Should i be out the seat more??

ANY feedback or pointers would be great as to how i can improve!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Rolling Stoppie Advice - Where am i going wrong?

i recommend you dont go any faster than about 45 mph with out having a good steering damper and i also recommend a good sticky tire like a pilot power or a diablo super corsa , ok that takes care of the safety recommendations..lol

first thing to do is pick a starting point and a pick up point , set up a cone or some thing so you can pick up at the same point at the same speed every time that way you can actually see how far you are rolling and how far you are progressing , simple fact of the matter is the higher you get the further you will roll ..

with a good tire you should be able to run 25 to 32 pounds with out skidding the tire , this will help the bike roll further than it will with 18 pounds ..

heres the scary part the quicker you get high and the higher you get the easier it will be to keep the back tire from going to one side or the other , alot of people tend to push on one bar harder than the other when grabbing the front brake and thats easy to correct when you get up high but when the back of the bike is low it is very hard to get the back tire back in behind you ..

when you make your initial lift make sure your arms are pretty stiff not locked at the elbows or any thing like that but have a good solid grip and keep your arms firm ..

i didnt see how many fingers you had on the brake but make sure you have at least two fingers on the bar dont use four fingers to pull the brake ..

as far as you wanting to get up out of the seat further thats more of a personal preference thing , i have seen people roll far hanging over the front of the bike and i have seen people roll far sitting in the seat the important part is to make sure you have a good grip on the tank with your legs it will help you steer the bike ..

good luck stay safe and keep this thread going , post progression video

Last edited by old man roger; 08-13-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM

JoeBloDFW is a decent person

best directions i've seen ever....

IMO looking at your video you need to get that back tire higher quicker... i think omr just said that too
Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 AM

mart211 is a decent person

+1
Am at the same point as u. I can roll em. On slow speed i can get them pretty high and the bike wont lean left. As soon as i go faster that 20mph i starts to lean left and i let the brake go. It really pissed me off. Stoppies are hard and need practise. Keep this thread going, there is more people that need good advice.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:26 AM
STILL ON PROBATION!

WolfmanJack is a decent person

Great advice, I have been having trouble myself! I keep trying to use my weight to bring the back end up rather than using enough brake. I don't know how many times I have almost tank slapped and low sided or skidded the front tire.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 AM

mart211 is a decent person

The trick for not letting the bike lean is speed and body balance. It just clicked to me one day. When bike leans left i always tried to lean right. But i needed actually lean left with the bike, cause then i'll put more weight on left handlebar and this straightens the bike up again. Now when i feel the bike leaning somewhere, i'll move my *** with the bike and that fixes everything for me. I even got to do 50ft 90degree stoppie on the weekend.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Getawaydriver85 is a decent person

dude whoever was holding the camera drank too much redbull or something, im also going to take OMR's stoppie advice thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 AM

squiffythewomba is a decent person

Sorry for the slow reply to this, ive been so busy!

OMR - THANKYOU SO MUCH! that advice was spot on and exact what i needed! Its the simple things like that which need pointing out sometimes! I've not had much chance to pratice over the last couple of weeks but have been bouncing about during my commutes and my confidence has gone up loads (i think this was a large part of it).

MART - so your talking about countersteering into the lean i persume?

I should be out this evening so will hopefully get a new video up tomorrow of my efforts!

Once again thanks for all your help guys!